Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most efficient tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You p
But you're all running those Continentals, right, because wet braking is the end all be all?

First of all that test is comparing those tires at that time. No one is saying the Conti's are the best. Actually they probably are not the best. So when you take a "not the best tire" and compare it to other tires and spanks them, then... well yeah. They used the Conti as the control.

So braking is not the end all be all? You want tires that don't brake well? Ok, you do you then.

Sorry, should have noted I can get a Buy 3 get 1 free for the Goodyears through being a USAA member.

On Model Y folks say they are losing 10% with them. There is a member here with a M3 and he's getting good numbers. I'll ping him again...

10% worse seems to be similar to the loss when going from OEM (LRR) tires to something like the Michelin CrossClimate2. Not a good showing for an "EV" tire that is implied to preserve range.

Reactions: DrChaos
First of all that test is comparing those tires at that time. No one is saying the Conti's are the best. Actually they probably are not the best. So when you take a "not the best tire" and compare it to other tires and spanks them, then... well yeah. They used the Conti as the control.

That video is one month old.
The video opens with "I've of course included a premium tire, which is none other than the BRAND NEW, already multiple test winning, Continental Premium Contact Seven."

The article says: "I've have a benchmark tyre in the test. It's not going to be easy as it's the brand new, and already multiple test winning, Continental PremiumContact 7."

I don't think you actually watched the video or read the article if you're claiming this is old and the conti is not the best performing tire he could find. It's literally the best tire he could find in that segment (this is not a UUHP tire test).

I'm surprised the goodyears are less $ than the others, at least near me they're a little more---and reports i've read here show a range drop compared to the MXM4s. Very little information though. I would choose the Hankook or Pirelli. The Pirelli Elect is used as OEM tire on some EVs (Porsche, BMW, maybe some Tesla P models?). The OEMs have an interest in high efficiency so they can advertise good EPA/WLTP range. Nobody uses Goodyear Electricdrive stock yet, and that says something to me. The Hankook iON is new, but they got a top efficiency rating on the EU objective test, at least summer version.

Discount Tire near me has the Hankook iON AS for about $250, but they will price match other online stores, and I've seen it for ~$230. I'll probably do that one.
i would go with pirelli ev or hankook ion...for ev tires

Reactions: DrChaos
So which trade off is better? Charge daily to 55 or long interval charges 80-20?

I mean when I charge to 80 by the time I’m back home I’m already at 77% and usually by end of the day I’m back at 60% probably.

I bought the car used but I drive a lot, will be driving across the whole country 4 times over next few months.

I mean at this point with current degradation of 5-7% does it even make sense to try and save anymore?

By the end of x years what would be the difference 2-3% more degradation? 10% vs 13%?

So which trade off is better? Charge daily to 55 or long interval charges 80-20?

I mean when I charge to 80 by the time I’m back home I’m already at 77% and usually by end of the day I’m back at 60% probably.

I bought the car used but I drive a lot, will be driving across the whole country 4 times over next few months.

I mean at this point with current degradation of 5-7% does it even make sense to try and save anymore?

By the end of x years what would be the difference 2-3% more degradation? 10% vs 13%?
I charge both cars (MS and MY) to 50% if I think about it; if either falls below 50% I really don't give it much thought. If I head out on a long trip I might charge to 80% but there are far more superchargers now than when I bought the S in 2016 so even that is more convenience than necessity. After 150,000+ miles on the S I have about 9% degradation and I don't let that bother me because I rarely charge above 55% on road trips and I rarely need to go to 80% (your results and experience may vary). Your battery will probably outlast your ownership.
The MS has always had Michelin PS tires whether I lived in OH or FL and each set has performed well and lasted near or beyond 50,000 miles; results are not in yet on the Conti's on the MY from 2021.
Stop fretting and enjoy the ride. It will get you where you want to go. There are great threads here in there forums about how to make the most of road trips. The nav planning system has really improved over the years and ABetterRoutePlanner (ABRP) online allows planning prior to departure.
One thing I'd advise against: don't try to fill that battery at every stop; your trip will seem endless. Read up and learn and enjoy.

I charge both cars (MS and MY) to 50% if I think about it; if either falls below 50% I really don't give it much thought. If I head out on a long trip I might charge to 80% but there are far more superchargers now than when I bought the S in 2016 so even that is more convenience than necessity. After 150,000+ miles on the S I have about 9% degradation and I don't let that bother me because I rarely charge above 55% on road trips and I rarely need to go to 80% (your results and experience may vary). Your battery will probably outlast your ownership.
The MS has always had Michelin PS tires whether I lived in OH or FL and each set has performed well and lasted near or beyond 50,000 miles; results are not in yet on the Conti's on the MY from 2021.
Stop fretting and enjoy the ride. It will get you where you want to go. There are great threads here in there forums about how to make the most of road trips. The nav planning system has really improved over the years and ABetterRoutePlanner (ABRP) online allows planning prior to departure.
One thing I'd advise against: don't try to fill that battery at every stop; your trip will seem endless. Read up and learn and enjoy.
How are the pilot sports on range? And do they have a specific Tesla version? Those will probably be my next tires compared to the mx4x whatever is stock on this now.

Yeah I saw the navi was giving me almost double the charges then I had calculated

How are the pilot sports on range? And do they have a specific Tesla version? Those will probably be my next tires compared to the mx4x whatever is stock on this now.

Yeah I saw the navi was giving me almost double the charges then I had calculated
I buy the Michelins directly from Costco as far as I know mine just have the standard Michelin acoustic technology. I have never had a problem with noise. I also have not been concerned with range. My car will get me efficiently from charger to charger and I doubt that over the course of a two day trip tires play a significant role. Others who pay more attention may argue otherwise. As I have stated before don't get too wrapped around the axle over range. Whether my car has a 282 mile range or the original 295 at the end of the day, I am going to drive like I always drive (120-130 miles) and the range is irrelevant. I'll drive 1 1/2 -2 hours and charge for 10-15 minutes. Beyond that it is no longer enjoyable or relaxing. Only experience will tell you how to drive; I've found my best practice and that is drive down to about 8-10% state of charge then refill to the 50% or so mark and repeat. Circumstances can dictate changes in game plan. Speed is a major factor; headwinds and wet roads and cold will adversely affect your range as well. Since you live in the east lack of superchargers should not be a factor as it is in parts of the west.
Sure, the first long road trip can be daunting but there are far more chargers now than in 2016 and the folks who did the trips earlier than that must have had a few nail biting experiences. Relax and enjoy the journey.

Reactions: GoodKarma
This is bizarre behavior.
You keep your car at 50% because if you need more you can always spend a bunch of time and money at a supercharger? And if you have a long trip you "might" charge to 80% but rarely charge above 55% while traveling? This only makes sense for people that don't want to drive more than an hour between stops. You seriously put 150K miles on a car while hardly ever charging it above 55%? This isn't even good for the battery, as low states of charge are just as abusive to a battery as high states of charge.

This is just awful advice for someone wanting to actually do reasonable road trips in an EV. You charge to 100% before you leave, you tend to charge 10-80% while at superchargers, and you charge to 100% overnight when you can.

How are the pilot sports on range?
There are multiple tires in the pilot sport range. All season, 4, and 4S, and they are very different. Which one do you mean?

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic and UrsS
Pilot Sport A/S 4 . You travel your way; I'll travel mine. I don't think 55% is a low state of charge. Yes, I'll drive an hour or an hour and a half; I like it.
I never said I never charge above 55%. I said that's where it usually is when parked at home. And no, I don't charge too much above 55-60% on the road; takes too long. If you read it all correctly I don't spend a lot of time at a supercharger-10-15 minutes tops unless I have a leg that requires more. So, if I wasn't clear I hope I am now.

I don't think 55% is a low state of charge.
55% is not a low SoC. However, as you drive, you can only go lower than that. You're better off for the battery cycling from 80% to 20% than you are from 55% to 5%.

I just don't get why anyone would have their car sitting around at 55%. It's not saving the battery at all vs 65-70%, especially when you factor in the fact that when you drive this means your end SoC is lower.

55% is not a low SoC. However, as you drive, you can only go lower than that. You're better off for the battery cycling from 80% to 20% than you are from 55% to 5%.

I just don't get why anyone would have their car sitting around at 55%. It's not saving the battery at all vs 65-70%, especially when you factor in the fact that when you drive this means your end SoC is lower.
At this point I'll defer to your superior judgment on battery use and tire choice and go beat up my battery some more.:rolleyes:

Seems a lot here based on some research 55 is the best for degradation. Do you have other info where 80-20 is better? I prefer 80-20 because it’s just easier.

Seems a lot here based on some research 55 is the best for degradation. Do you have other info where 80-20 is better? I prefer 80-20 because it’s just easier.
Check out the numerous battery threads. There you will find a different opinion for every occasion. I try to follow best practices as professed by the consensus and the research. This was about tire efficiency though and got sidetracked. Try the batter threads.

Last edited:
It certainly does save the battery!

50% or less for NCA certainly saves battery vs 65-70%, there is a multiply demonstrated in academic scientific studies shelf in increased degradation at 55% and above (and science 55% is more like 52.5% displayed because of the Tesla lower buffer).

And the end SoC being lower does not hurt the battery at all.

Low state-of-charge is not bad for the battery. The main issue is the risk of running out if you are trying to reach your destination or the next charging stop with 1% left.

On a road trip, fast charging (Supercharging) is faster at lower states of charge than at higher states of charge.