Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most efficient tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Care to post that data?

Once you do, post the wet braking distances for what you define as a good, "efficient" tire, and I'll find a tire that absolutely crushes that wet braking distance, and then we can discuss why it's OK to run the efficient tire when there is a much better tire out there for emergency stops. It's OK to give up max wet braking for some fuzzy "efficiency" number that saves you money, but not for other reasons that save you money?

The reality is that anyone looking for a tire with "efficiency" as the primary target has already agreed that maximal safety is not their goal (which is fine, just pointing out the hypocrisy of using this as a metric of an acceptable tire)
I am trying the 18"

Hankook Ventus S1 evo2s​

from the same ratings that was used above

Positive - Excellent tyre with a balanced performance in all tests, stable in the dry and wet, low noise, low fuel use, good price to performance ratio.
Negative - Slightly slow steering response.
Overall - Recommended.

have to get them mounted up and see what kind of efficiency hoping it is better than the 21" stock Michelins on ubers

$677 total and I will mount balance.

Yoko ADVAN Sport EV A/S has hit Tirerack @ $233 for 18s.
  • Size: 235/45R18
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Eco Focus: E+
  • Electric Vehicle Tuned
  • Load Range: XL
  • Serv. Desc: 98W
  • UTQG: 580 A A
Here is another tire with Tread depth at 11/32" which means... worse initial efficiency but longer lasting??? Made in the Philippines and 55k mileage warranty. So another good option in the EV segment.

Just found this "Preview" Report:

Last edited:
Reactions: DrChaos
Yokohama is a Discount Tire brand, and TireRack is owned by Discount Tire. Hence
More like Discount Tire has exclusive rights to distribute and sell YK-series in the US. Not quite the same thing as Yokohama is a Discount Tire brand. Non-YK ADVANS may or may not have a different arrangement. But Discount tire has become the behemoth of internet tire sales since acquiring Tire Rack.

Reactions: enemji
Last edited:
More like Discount Tire has exclusive rights to distribute and sell YK-series in the US. Not quite the same thing as Yokohama is a Discount Tire brand. Non-YK ADVANS may or may not have a different arrangement. But Discount tire has become the behemoth of internet tire sales since acquiring Tire Rack.
Talking about Discount Tire & Tire Rack being the behemoth, they don't even show up as retailers when you file with Michelin for their promotions :D

IMG_8772.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Miata Head
Have CrossClimates on our Model 3. I will attest that they are not great for efficiency. Pretty solid on occasional snow/ice though. Also, they are directional tires so you may lose just a bit of life by not being able to rotate them thoroughly.
i dont mind directional tires...you can have the tire place remove from rims and put on other side reversing the tire too...of course you have to pay them to do that i guess...

Do you have the e-primacy in US?

Its the most efficient tyre.
Apparently, but only in one size: 245/40ZR20 XL 99Y

It must be a one-off OEM for an EV. It's the only time I think I see them in USA. My previous car BMW i3 had a summer eco tire, and it was also a rare OEM in a ridiculous size. (On the i3 they attracted damage terribly, I replaced many without ever wearing one out, with poor handling and following pavement grooves).

Summer eco or even regular summer touring tires are virtually unknown in North America. It seems strange from EU's POV but true--all of the non-performance category are "all season", though that phrase has a different meaning than in Europe. EU "all-season" == NA "all-weather", a higher level of winter performance than all-season, and lower efficiency/life.

There is little required inspection or laws on changing to winter tires and knowing that most people don't the default is all-season with a slight amount of cold temperature performance.

Summer tires in USA are almost always only available for enthusiast and sports car use, like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer is the least sports-oriented of summer tires here, even in California or Florida.

I'd guess the most efficient major tire in USA now is the Hankook iON EVO All-Season or Michelin Energy Saver. There is also a Michelin "Primacy AS", which I suspect is the successor to the Primacy MXM4 which used to be the OEM Tesla 3 tire in USA before current Hankooks. I suspect that is closest to EU e-Primacy. There is a

MICHELIN® Primacy™ All Season 235/45R18 98W XL T0 Acoustic BSW​

starting with a lousy tread depth of 8/32. So maybe Tesla will use that as well as OEM tire sometime.

Last edited:
Summer eco or even regular summer touring tires are virtually unknown in North America. It seems strange from EU's POV but true--all of the non-performance category are "all season", though that phrase has a different meaning than in Europe. EU "all-season" == NA "all-weather", a higher level of winter performance than all-season, and lower efficiency/life.
The "all weather" tires in the US come with the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake symbol indicating a higher level of winter performance than M+S that "all season" tires in the US typically have. "Summer" tires have neither marking.

Apparently, but only in one size: 245/40ZR20 XL 99Y
We have a lot of dimensions. Some a little strange (not wide but large diameter).

The ePrimacy is not a sports tyre. It often comes in the middle of the tested tires.
But the rolling resistance is very low.

In EU we have an classification of energy, where eprimacy was the first A tyre.
“A” means that the rolling resistance can be at max 6.5 kg/ton.

The tests show that ePrimacy hit around 5.6-5.8 kg/ton.
A regular “C” tyre is ~ 8.5-9 or so.

This means, for a two ton car, that the difference between C and A in rolling resistance is ~ 3kg x 2 ton x 9.81 = 59N less with the ePrimacy.
For driving 1km thats 59 x 1000 = 59.000Nm (ws), so 59000/3600 = 16.4 Wh/km.
16.4 Wh/km = 26.4 Wh/mi.

This is not far from 10% for the most people.