Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most favorite part about driving the M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll do the same once my garage is built and I'm not navigating out of a cramped 90 degree turn behind my house. What's your experience at stops?

Without creep the car would pretty much come to a slow stop, but if not the regen turns off at around 5MPH so I just tap on the brake and once the car stops and the “HOLD” status shows up, I don’t have to leave my foot on the brake pedal (another GREAT feature).

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
A man with a 20 yr history of distance running induced back injuries: the drivers seat, better than the other great things I could pick like quiet, like AP, like sound system, like handling....

I've noticed this too. I have friends and family with chronic back pain and the first thing they say when they sit down is that their back doesn't hurt. They're utterly amazed.

I've been a life long stick driver, with cars like the CRX, S2000, Cayman, 335, etc. I preferred stick mainly because until DCT were reliable and widely available, you stepped on the gas and waited for the gear to downshift, and on slushboxes that usually took what felt like forever.

I had a Gen1 Volt and a Spark EV, enjoyed the cars, but both had a weird slight delay when pressing the accelerator pedal.

Now come the M3: I test drove the P and the LR RWD before buying the AWD and every one of the variants offered instant throttle response, which is what I think is the best part about driving my M3.

What is your most favorite part about driving your M3?

Just about everything!! :p:p:p:p

Seriously, there are so many great things about driving this car, it's hard to pick just one, so here are my top 6:
1) instant, addicting push-in-the-back acceleration, esp. on launch, that leaves other elite sports sedans gasping for, err, air.
2) virtually perfect ride and handling balance (at least for me) - amazing ride given the handling, or, if you prefer, amazing handling given the ride.
3) one pedal driving - and how that makes for really smooth transitions (the car can be a real cruisemobile, not just a batmobile). Love how easy it is to drive smoothly and with little effort, even in traffic.
4) confidence that comes from car's amazing performance, braking and handling, plus best in class safety, both active and passive.
5) great sound system (frequently cranked up!), made even better by the car's lack of any kind of noise.
6) ease of charging at home, plus free unlimited supercharging, which has changed my view of long distance travel, putatively a weakness of EV tech. We are very excited about the prospect of travelling to the Keys this winter. Free (OK, sort of . . we already paid for the benefit).

1. The tingly g-forces when you hit the pedal traveling between 20-40 mph (M3P). Also, the instant acceleration itself. Normal cars feel terrible and ancient compared to it in this aspect.
  2. Regenerative breaking/one foot driving. Normal cars also feel "wrong" now because they don't slow down automatically. Why move my foot to the break pedal if I don't have to?
  3. Turning. It just feels stuck to the ground and because of the low center of gravity I just don't feel pushed around as much.
  4. The seats are surprisingly comfortable. The headrest is tilted forward like all new cars for safety reasons, but it doesn't annoy my neck as much as my last car (I have a long head).

The part I like is the smooth acceleration from a stop light and looking back and seeing everyone else 100 yards back.
Heh. Up until recently Teslas were rare in my area, like it was common not to see another one all day. One day last year I pulled away from the stoplight and realized out of the corner of my eye that the car next to me was pacing me. First reaction, you want to race, seriously? Followed by immediate correction, nope, just another Model S pulling away normally... for a Model S.

Lesson learned, I had completely, unintentionally, internalized the idea that I was the fastest thing on the road. Which can be a dangerous assumption under certain circumstances.

Postscript: since then Teslas have been popping up like mushrooms. They’re still not the Ann Arbor Camry, but no longer rare. All the more amazing considering the State of Michigan’s overt hostility to Tesla.

Heh. Up until recently Teslas were rare in my area, like it was common not to see another one all day. One day last year I pulled away from the stoplight and realized out of the corner of my eye that the car next to me was pacing me. First reaction, you want to race, seriously? Followed by immediate correction, nope, just another Model S pulling away normally... for a Model S.

Lesson learned, I had completely, unintentionally, internalized the idea that I was the fastest thing on the road. Which can be a dangerous assumption under certain circumstances.

Postscript: since then Teslas have been popping up like mushrooms. They’re still not the Ann Arbor Camry, but no longer rare. All the more amazing considering the State of Michigan’s overt hostility to Tesla.
How is owning a tesla in Michigan besides the fact you need to go to Ohio for a service center? I've heard drag racers getting pissed that a simple to use sedan is beating them at the tracks.

So hard to say what I love the most. Like many here could name a multitude of favorite reasons. It ultimately comes down to just fun to drive and handles so well. Speaking of fun. Last night I was out and saw all the christmas lights on houses lit so hopped in my sleigh and took off. Couldn't resist, and what other car can do that aside from the red suited man himself in his ride? A kid pleaser too -- (i'm also very curious what romance mode might bring ;)).

My Model 3:
IMG_9467.JPG

Husband has a sleigh too:
IMG_9469.JPG

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Dr. J