Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

most range efficient wheels for M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
Seems like the EV01+ is for you.

Also available in black.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Seems like the EV01+ is for you.

Also available in black.
thank you. this is very helpful

interesting. Do you know if they were comparing them to factory aero wheels or just to their own 18in wheels?

I assume they provide more range than 20 in wheels that came with my M3P
It's definitely a comparison with the OEM aeros. If you search the video, they even specify that the data they present are all based on comparison to them.

All things being equal, these will provide more range than 20" OEM wheels.

Compared to the 20'' OEM M3P wheels, the 18'' EV01 OR aero wheels will provide around 15-20 more miles assuming SAME tires as the 20''. The aero wheels are not compatible with the M3P though, EV01 are.

Efficiency of 18'' EV01 wheels vs 18'' Tesla aero OEM wheels is the same. There was an article on it and it was within margin of error.

If you also change the tires to low-rolling resistance tires such as the MXM4, you can get another 20ish miles.

Sorry to post this twice, but this is likely a better thread for what I am asking ----

At this point, I think I'm debating the EVO1+ wheels (18/8.5 size) vs the martian 18/7.5 wheels for the winter tire set on my M3P

The EVO1+ wheels with their aero covers would give more range than other non OEM18in wheels, due to the covers, however the EVO1+ wheels seem to come in only one width, the factory 8.5 in.

I wonder if the additional 16lbs of weight loss comparing the weight of the EVO1+ to the Martian 18/7.5 in wheels in combination with running a more narrow tire on the Martian 7.5in wheels, such as a 225, instead of the stock 235 I would need to use on the 8.5in width EVO1+ wheels, might mean that the martian wheels provide equal or superior range gains compared to the one size 18/8,5 inch EVO1+ wheels with aero covers, running the stock 235width tires??

EVO1+ 18/8.5 (only size) wheels with aero covers are clearly superior to the martian wheels for aerodynamics, however......
Martian 18/7.5 wheels win in weighing 16 lbs less per set, and the 225 tires on the 7.5in wide Martian wheels have less rolling resistance than 235 on EVO1+

What are peoples thoughts on that comparison????

One other issue is that the martian wheels are out of stock for 6-8 weeks and no one answers the phone or my emails at Martian, while the fastwheel distributor for EVO1+ wheels has been very prompt with answering my questions. Martian doesn't seem to have much customer service.

Last edited:
I wonder if the additional 16lbs of weight loss comparing the weight of the EVO1+ to the Martian 18/7.5 in wheels in combination with running a more narrow tire on the Martian 7.5in wheels, such as a 225, instead of the stock 235 I would need to use on the 8.5in width EVO1+ wheels, might mean that the martian wheels provide equal or superior range gains compared to the one size 18/8,5 inch EVO1+ wheels with aero covers, running the stock 235width tires??
Assuming the same kind of tire for both scenarios, the most efficient option will depend on what driving speeds you care about. If you want highway range then the aero wheel matters more even against a very slightly narrower tire. (Weight has no meaningful impact for steady state driving range.) For around town range, at slower speeds and with lots of accel/decel then the lighter wheel would probably provide slightly longer range.

In reality, the range difference will be small and other factors such as cost, tire selection, esthetics and availability may be higher priority.

For me, I’d wouldn’t go narrower than 235 on a Performance and highway range matters more, so I’d do EV01+.

Assuming the same kind of tire for both scenarios, the most efficient option will depend on what driving speeds you care about. If you want highway range then the aero wheel matters more even against a very slightly narrower tire. (Weight has no meaningful impact for steady state driving range.) For around town range, at slower speeds and with lots of accel/decel then the lighter wheel would probably provide slightly longer range.

In reality, the range difference will be small and other factors such as cost, tire selection, esthetics and availability may be higher priority.

For me, I’d wouldn’t go narrower than 235 on a Performance and highway range matters more, so I’d do EV01+.

Your explanation was extremely helpful. Thank you very much.

Just jumping into this thread (first post on TMC), but I have a set of the EV01+ in black, 18x8.5". They are definitely more efficient, but not a huge amount. On the OEM 20" Uberturbines, I averaged 294 Wh/mi over 1800 miles. These EV01+ with Bridgestone Potenza Sport (slightly wider in 245/45-18) net me 283 Wh/mi over 2400 miles.
You cannot draw conclusions specifically about the wheels when you change the wheel, the tire and the tire size. There are too many variables at play there.

Things to keep in mind here:

1. It is primarily the tire type that influences range. The rolling resistance of tires varies a lot, the main reason a long range model gets more range than the performance is the tire, not the wheel size, or wheel type.
  2. The secondary effect is whether you have an "aero" wheel or not. Both the OEM aero covers and EV01+ do the same, and give you a small improvement of 4%-5% (thought the ev01 is a bit lighter)
  3. Weight in the magnitudes involved here is a distant third order effect, especially for highway range, it has almost no impact. Don't spend money here for range. You can pick up a tenth in your 0-60 with light wheels though.

If you google around you will find tire tests of rolling resistance, there are a few models that are big outliers, and some of them even have really good dry grip. You will have less choice in 20" wheel sizes for some of the best tires though.

For me I went with EV01+ 18" and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non S). The Non S pilot sports have better rolling resistance than the S, while being almost as sticky. Next tire I will probably go something more rolling resistance focused.

Lastly and most important, the EV01+ looks tite in black

Attachments

• tesla3.jpg
    tesla3.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 2,032
You cannot draw conclusions specifically about the wheels when you change the wheel, the tire and the tire size. There are too many variables at play there.
Agreed (sorry for the late response to your reply - the notification never popped up).

My plans were initially to go with Pirelli PZero in 235/45-18 to minimize one variable at play, but the Bridgestone Potenza Sport were at a price I could not pass up.

Reactions: tm1v2

Respectfully, you are incorrect on the comment about “steady state” driving. Heavy tires require more energy to get to speed and to keep in constant motion.

EV01 is a good option because it’s just as efficient and it looks better than stock. Martians are awesome but def less efficient.

Weight tops aero dynamics when it comes to tires. Caps will give you 2% or 6 miles which is a rounding error. Weight (and size) can get you +30 miles when driving style is calm and speed is 70/75.

Respectfully, you are incorrect on the comment about “steady state” driving. Heavy tires require more energy to get to speed and to keep in constant motion.

Weight tops aero dynamics when it comes to tires. Caps will give you 2% or 6 miles which is a rounding error. Weight (and size) can get you +30 miles when driving style is calm and speed is 70/75.
Respectfully, Physics and Tesla disagrees with you.
An object in motion takes no energy to remain in motion. The only thing slowing down the heavy wheelset is aero drag, and the energy loss in the deformation of the tire. Ironically, heavier tires deform less and thus have less energy loss. Which is why trains with steel wheels that weigh 800lbs are some of the most efficient "tires" out there.

Tesla focuses a ton on aero, yet their wheels are quite heavy. If you were correct, they would spend their money on making the wheel lighter instead of adding mass and money to it with aero caps.