Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Week tests 90DL at only 4.0 and 12.4!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to like Motorweek. Not anymore. Unbelievable that they wouldn't spend a little more time/effort to get even close to the factory numbers. They just brushed it off and that's very disappointing.

Yeah. Rather unprofessional. No 'We were surprised at our numbers so we contacted Tesla who gave us these recommendations....etc'

Chill chill chill people. Every time they test a performance car they say something along the lines of "our aging test track isn't helping". These guys are probably hanging it up in a year, so while they still test everything on the same track for consistency, it's not worth repaving. Not the best show in the world, but they aren't conspiring against Tesla or EVs.

Chill chill chill people. Every time they test a performance car they say something along the lines of "our aging test track isn't helping". These guys are probably hanging it up in a year, so while they still test everything on the same track for consistency, it's not worth repaving. Not the best show in the world, but they aren't conspiring against Tesla or EVs.

Except as I stated earlier, their other tests have NEVER had a differential of more than 10% off race times! Even for performance cars. I watch the show weekly. They are generally within 5%. In tesla's case they are off by 30%!!!

It was a very positive review, BTW, for the people who actually watched it. If there was a conspiracy I think big oil will be demanding a refund.

Motor Trend always gets the fastest recorded times for any car. Motorweek tends to be on the slow side. Nothing new here.

It was a very positive review, BTW, for the people who actually watched it. If there was a conspiracy I think big oil will be demanding a refund.

Motor Trend always gets the fastest recorded times for any car. Motorweek tends to be on the slow side. Nothing new here.

It's an EV though. You push the accelerator and go. I don't think anyone thinks this was a conspiracy, just people who didn't know what they were doing and likely didn't have the car in Ludicrous mode.

I used to watch MotorWeek all the time, but compared to other online content out there, it's pretty boring. Besides, John Davis's "advertiser radio voice" has always turned me off. Everything I've read about him says that he actually knows his stuff about cars, but his voice always struck me as someone who was hired for his voice and not his knowledge.

Last edited:
It's an EV though. You push the accelerator and go. I don't think anyone thinks this was a conspiracy, just people who didn't know what they were doing and likely didn't have the car in Ludicrous mode.
Maybe I misinterpreted the comment about big oil's involvement.

EVs still have to deal with traction conditions. I thought they were blaming the track for not hitting the advertised times, not the car. If you watch a lot of Motorweek reviews they often make similar comments about the track. Even in their reviews from 35 years ago they were saying the same thing.

Maybe I misinterpreted the comment about big oil's involvement.

EVs still have to deal with traction conditions. I thought they were blaming the track for not hitting the advertised times, not the car. If you watch a lot of Motorweek reviews they often make similar comments about the track. Even in their reviews from 35 years ago they were saying the same thing.

I'm sure the track, the fact that they had a 25% charge or so and maybe the car in the wrong setting all played a factor. I e-mailed Motorweek but they haven't responded. Doubt they will of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Good review overall. That track does look like it's in bad shape. Wonder if it was just that as they said they 'had problems with traction control and the pavement'. The traction control as we all know is stellar so something is going on there.