Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 3000 miles in to M3P ownership, and I could swear the motor (not sure if it's front or back) is whining more than it used to. It's a high pitched whine - under part throttle, it's intermittent like a square wave form, and becomes steady under heavier acceleration. I assume this is just the motor regulating itself, but I don't remember hearing the motor at all before except under heavy acceleration.

Is this normal?

A little quite whine I’d say is normal. Don’t notice it with the stereo on but if it’s off I sometimes hear it.
I’d agree with this. I only even noticed that slight wine after a few weeks and probably was more to do with me taking that time to tune in to the new EV car sounds after an ICE.
It sounds like yours is more than this so worth getting it looked at.

Reactions: Cnixon
There's a whine on my 2019 Model S, but it feels like the noise you heard from movies set in the future from 20/30 years ago.:D Which I think isace.

It does make me wonder as there are reports of severe whining, but i assume these cars are not fully silent, you should expect a very low hum/whine from the electric motors?

There's a whine on my 2019 Model S, but it feels like the noise you heard from movies set in the future from 20/30 years ago.:D Which I think isace.

It does make me wonder as there are reports of severe whining, but i assume these cars are not fully silent, you should expect a very low hum/whine from the electric motors?
I love a bit of audio feedback from the motors, and yes it also gives me those retro-futuristic vibes 😃

Reactions: Jonnymack74
Note:
This turned out to be tyre related...

I get severe whining from the passenger seat area (mostly when it’s occupied by my wife)🤣

Just had this myself. A much louder and noticeable whine/whistle from the motors.

I was pre-conditioning for charging and I've read on another thread that it does make more noise more when warming up the motors/battery.

It was fine on the journey home so definitely just from pre-conditioning. Just in case any other new owners notices it and wonders what it is.