Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mount Evans Road Trip - July 30th or 31st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I'm trying to put together an informal drive up Mount Evans for all interested.

I've never driven up this mountain before but it's known as The Highest Paved Road in North America. We'll be using a lot of power to get up but think of how much you will get back going down! Afterwards, we can meet at Beau Jo's for lunch. If we get a good size group, I'll see if we can book a room with Beau Jo's. They are very EV-friendly and have a couple of chargers in the back using Charge Point cards. It's free but you need the card to use it. I anticipate this taking anywhere from 3-5 hours for the whole event, including lunch.

If anyone's been up Mount Evans before and has tips to share, please do!

It will cost $15/car for a 3-day pass.

We will meet at Carlson Elementary School in Idaho Springs @ 9AM and drive up together.

Please indicate your date preference in the comments below.

It's a great drive. I drove my original Honda Insight up to the top, somehow managed 62mpg round trip.

You'll never guess what I parked next to (keep in mind this was before Tesla ruined my interest in ICE cars).....a Bugatti Veyron!

There is a lake about 1/2 way from the entrance to the road and the top. It was worth a stop to hike around the shore.

Let us know how much range you pickup on the way down and total round trip. Being that my Insight basically got "rated," despite the altitude and much less capable regen, I really wonder if you'll do better than rated round trip.

Reactions: treldib
Wow, we were actually thinking about going up Mt. Evans on the 31st! We won't be able to make it that early though as we are traveling from Price, UT to Boulder, CO on the 31st in our new Model X. We will probably be in Idaho Springs around 1pm or so. Then have to decide if we have enough juice to go from the Silverthorne SC, up Mt. Evans and then on to Boulder without charging... :)

@NovemberXray, we might just pass each other going the other way! If you need a little extra charge to get you on the way, Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs might be a good place to stop for lunch and a little juice for your X. They have two J1772s,

Erik, glad you're representing the CO contingent at the Gigafactory opening... that's a long drive but you're in a Tesla so that makes it worthwhile. I'm not sure if we have another weekend available before the season ends. This weekend freed up a little unexpectedly for us. Definitely will plan one for next summer if this doesn't work for most people.

Are you planning on going to the Cripple Creek Rally being held by the CSEV group? I believe it's August 13. We will see if we can make that one.

We have been wanting to take our Model S P85D up Mt. Evans. We would be driving from Texas. I wish we had known about this earlier. I am very interested to hear about regen and how it all goes. PLEASE post details of the trip after you make the trek to the top!

Wow, we were actually thinking about going up Mt. Evans on the 31st! We won't be able to make it that early though as we are traveling from Price, UT to Boulder, CO on the 31st in our new Model X. We will probably be in Idaho Springs around 1pm or so. Then have to decide if we have enough juice to go from the Silverthorne SC, up Mt. Evans and then on to Boulder without charging... :)
I had similar concerns about doing the round trip from Boulder (where i live) to top of Mount Evans and back. I set off with 230 rated miles available and was concerned that the car suggested it would only leave 42% of available miles for the return journey. As it happened the return journey to Boulder (mainly downhill) used very little in terms of miles and i ended up having over 100 rated miles available when i got back from the trip. Bottom line is i think you will be fines since the bulk of the journey from Silverthorn to Boulder is downhill

• Informative
Reactions: 2krazykats
I had similar concerns about doing the round trip from Boulder (where i live) to top of Mount Evans and back. I set off with 230 rated miles available and was concerned that the car suggested it would only leave 42% of available miles for the return journey. As it happened the return journey to Boulder (mainly downhill) used very little in terms of miles and i ended up having over 100 rated miles available when i got back from the trip. Bottom line is i think you will be fines since the bulk of the journey from Silverthorn to Boulder is downhill

Hey, another Boulder Guy! YAY! I just got mine MS about 3 weeks ago and still finding my way around here. Good to know there is another local around!

We've done the Silverthorne -> Mt Evans top -> [near] Boulder trip from a 90% charge in Silverthorne and we had plenty of range to spare. That's in an S85D, not an X, but it shouldn't be different enough to matter.

We did the drive from Silverthorne to Morrison last month and I think it only used 3% to go 60 miles since it was using regen most of the way back. :)

Reactions: Brister13
Hey, another Boulder Guy! YAY! I just got mine MS about 3 weeks ago and still finding my way around here. Good to know there is another local around!
Yes, i saw you driving a couple of weeks ago. Our cars are almost identical - I'm sure you are enjoying it just as much as I am. Boulder makes me smile - there were 3 Teslas in a line of 7 or 8 cars yesterday as i was driving to work. We're not exactly a rare sighting here!

We did the drive from Silverthorne to Morrison last month and I think it only used 3% to go 60 miles since it was using regen most of the way back. :)
Exactly - the trip i took was the longest I've done so far (car is only few weeks old and I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks) and i was impressed with the regen - the return trip from Mt Evans to Boulder took only a few miles out of the battery.

Yes, i saw you driving a couple of weeks ago. Our cars are almost identical - I'm sure you are enjoying it just as much as I am. Boulder makes me smile - there were 3 Teslas in a line of 7 or 8 cars yesterday as i was driving to work. We're not exactly a rare sighting here!

LOL Nice. I seem to miss them, I guess. Good to know there's a twin of my car out there somewhere. We have great taste!

Reactions: Brister13