Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notes on MPP Comfort

OK, after a few weeks with the MPP Comfort Coilovers, here are my impressions. It’s important to note that I’ve got a 2022 MYP that was pre- “comfort suspension,” and before I got the coilovers I got some 19” wheels with some extra rubber for sidewall protection from T-Sportline. The 19” wheels helped the ride somewhat. I have only driven with the MPPs set to the most “comfort” setting and the car at stock MYP ride height. I may lower it half an inch…maybe.

NOTE: if you’re going to comment below with “what did you expect, you bought a sports car,” please kindly take your commentary elsewhere. The stock suspension sucks, particularly on the MYP, even more so on 2022 and earlier, even for a sports car. Sorry. If you like it, good for you. I didn’t and many don’t.

So: the TL;DR is:
Worth it to me, I’m very happy I spent the money. This is, truly, the suspension the car should ship with particularly at this price point.

The not-quite-so-short version:
You’ve got a $65-70K car here, spending an extra $4K (parts plus install) should probably be within your budget. If you’re stretching to buy the MY, and can’t easily pay cash for the coilovers and install, maybe don’t bother, particularly if you’ve got a MYLR with the newer “comfort suspension.” If ride is important to you and you’re looking at buying a Model Y but can’t swing this upgrade, run away from the MYP unless you like a *very* sporty ride.

And the even longer version:
The ride is much improved from the stock suspension and Uberturbines that came with the MYP. I’m not saying this is Lincoln Continental territory - if that’s what you’re looking for then this isn’t it. This is approaching stock BMW 3-series suspension feel…I think. The last 3-series I drove was some 20 years ago, YMMV. Maybe Lexus sports sedan? Still not soft, but composed.

The biggest difference is the lack of harshness. I’m still feeling much of the road, but expansion joints and small bumps (< 1” deep/2’ across potholes and manhole covers) are just much softer hits. They’re there…just not harsh. Rather than hit the rubber stops for the tiniest of bumps, I’m riding on springs. So nice!

Another way to describe it would be the stock suspension, particularly with the Uberturbines, feels “nervous, or crashy.” I don’t get that feeling anymore, the car feels much more composed.

Body lean through corners is way, way improved, even on the most “comfortable” setting. Highway-to-highway flyovers, which are normally posted as a 45-50MPH affair, were just not comfortable with the stock suspension and I’d regularly take them at 5 MPH under the posted speed because of the lean. With the MPPs, I’m able to take those at posted speed or even 5-10 MPH over with confidence and comfort. Surface street 90 degree corners are wonderful. If you’re familiar, my MYP now feels almost exactly like my MYLR felt in corners and curves.

At the end of the day, I’m really pleased. I think I’ll put maybe 40% of the lack of harshness on my 19” wheels and tires, and 60% on the MPPs. Body lean and composure is all MPP. I think if you were looking for a more composed, sporty ride, these are likely awesome at the tighter settings. I’m not going to go there and try it - but it’s a great ride. I have a feeling I’d even find it acceptable with the Uberturbines - but I’ve already bought the 19”ers (thank you T-Sportline!) and I’m not a fan of the Uberturbine look.

Side note: if you’re anywhere near Houston, and you’ve got your new MYLR, I’ve got some Uberturbines for sale

If you’re looking for that Lincoln Continental ride, this isn’t it, even with 19” wheels. It’s still a bit sporty, you’re still going to know the bumps are there. You might try the Ohlins versions which others have discussed here. But I have a feeling that if you want that Lincoln Continental ride, a Model Y that has what amounts to a truck rear suspension just might not be your best choice.

FWIW, I've had an opportunity to drive a few Model Y's with the new "Comfort" Suspension. I've also driven several with the "Old Suspension", and my wife's Y currently has MPP's on it. Keep in mind these are just my personal observations/opinions.

In my opinion, Tesla's new "Comfort" suspension is actually worse than the outgoing suspension. Let me explain. Tesla appears to have basically just softened the damping and spring rates. But, nothing else was changed. So, while the suspension is arguably "softer", it doesn't improve the ride quality at all. The damping is still quite bad, and now the car actually has a tendency to "bounce" over road imperfections which makes driving a rather uninspiring experience. Large road imperfections are just as bad as they have always been, with a pronounced "jarring" effect. Basically, the problem with the "Old Suspension", which was concerning ride quality over large road imperfections. potholes, or other substantial suspension travel events is still present, and now there is the compounding frustration of a floaty/bouncy effect. A bit annoying, for sure. I imagine over very smooth roads it's an improvement, but that was never really the problem to begin with. It reminds me of the BMW F30 chassis, which if you are familiar, was very floaty, and a complete departure from the previous generation E90, which I much preferred.

At the root of the suspension comfort concern lies the fact that the suspension is very much carry-over from the Model 3 which is ~400lbs lighter and had a trunk that was separated from the rest of the cabin. While there is no issue with the Model 3 suspension, it is just a pretty stiff design to begin with that transmits a fair amount of NVH into the chassis. Adding weight doesn't seem to have helped. Then, with the Model Y's large open trunk area, you get a lot more noise from the rear that reverberates through the rest of the passenger cabin area, compounding the NVH effect. I would like to stress that I actually really like the Model 3/Y suspension design overall, and it's a really enjoyable car to drive as a result, but there's no doubt that it does have more NVH than you might expect for the target market.

All of that being said, dampers/springs are only one part of the equation. I have been very happy with the MPP's on my wife's car and I feel they ride considerably better than either the old suspension or the new "Comfort" suspension. This is likely due to the fact that the dampers themselves are of significantly higher quality and have more travel. That all being said, I don't feel that they are really "softer" than Tesla's "Comfort Suspension", and I think it's an important distinction to separate stiffness and ride quality, as they do not go hand in hand. I think it's also important to understand what MPP was trying to achieve, which, as mentioned in the great post above, was not to make the Model Y ride like a Cadillac - which is likely impossible given the stiffness and NVH characteristics of all the other parts that make up the suspension/chassis of the Model Y (Control Arms, Bushings, Subframes, Ball Joints, Sound Deadening, etc). MPP achieved what I think is great Ride Quality and Sportiness, and is clearly (IMO) a much better setup than either of Tesla's iterations. To conclude, the point is that softer does not just equal better.

Totally agree softer is not better, the joy of the mpp setup is I have it harder but the progression is just so much more sophisticated. I run 10/9 and 10/8 in the NE and to me it's just fine. It's hard without being harsh. Also way more communicative.

Totally agree softer is not better, the joy of the mpp setup is I have it harder but the progression is just so much more sophisticated. I run 10/9 and 10/8 in the NE and to me it's just fine. It's hard without being harsh. Also way more communicative.
Curious is that the sport package or the comfort package? I run the sports on a Model 3 at 10/8. About as firm as I can take on anything but a very smooth surface.

I think local pikcup used to be offered for free.... is that not a thing anymore? Feel like shipping is gonna come with a lot of duties/brokerage fees to Canada
We did local pickup for a bit, but long story short, the bad apple spoils the bunch.

Any coilover shipment inside or destined for Canada will be delivered with duties paid already, so there won't be any surprises when the delivery man shows up at your house!

Reactions: after-dark
Hi, That's on my MYP with 20 inch wheels and 285 tires square. Also have managed to reduce unsprung weight about 85 lbs so that helped ride a bit.
I am for sure a big fan of the notion of reducing unsprung weight. We went from the boat anchor OEM Performance Wheels to 21 - 22 lb forged on both our model 3s. And as bad as those Wheels were they were 10 lb less than the Model Y Performance Wheels which is kind of scary. Do you have one of the MPP kits? I was wondering which kit?

Just the comfort kit, but have added unplugged rear anti sway bar run hard. MPP bush inserts and lower front control arm bushes. Don't feel any ruffness but shaper steering feel. I have increased castervabit with some cheap adjustable front upper control arms , about 6.5 degrees. 3.5 front negative camber and 2.5 rear. Very slight toe out front and rear. The settings are fine on road but also work for autocross.

Just the comfort kit, but have added unplugged rear anti sway bar run hard. MPP bush inserts and lower front control arm bushes. Don't feel any ruffness but shaper steering feel. I have increased castervabit with some cheap adjustable front upper control arms , about 6.5 degrees. 3.5 front negative camber and 2.5 rear. Very slight toe out front and rear. The settings are fine on road but also work for autocross.
Those are basically track levels of negative camber. Are you tracking in addition to autocross?

You posted "OE kit." What are you referring to? I don't see an "OE kit" listed on the MPP site.

Regardless, there's no way MPP would send out any kit w/o instructions. Exactly what are you referring to as being "junk"?
This may be the customer who emailed us at 2:25 AM on Sunday saying they were struggling to torque the nut on top of the damper, which we did in fact answer on a Sunday. They were probably just frustrated working in the garage late at night, I can certainly see how that can happen!

You posted "OE kit." What are you referring to? I don't see an "OE kit" listed on the MPP site.

Regardless, there's no way MPP would send out any kit w/o instructions. Exactly what are you referring to as being "junk"?
They changed the spring design. It no longer uses a spacer. This is from their own website and it's what I was referring to:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230123-095336.png
    Screenshot_20230123-095336.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 97