Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounted wrong size wheels - they’re now permanently stuck to the car. Disaster [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"When the team attempted to remove the wheel, the gun stripped the nut's teeth, effectively rounding out the piece and making it impossible to remove in pit lane. The nut was so jammed, the Mercedes pit crew failed to get it off in the garage, electing to transport the car back to its U.K. factory and use heavy-duty machinery to break it loose instead."

It happens in F1 too! Don't feel bad @martyb126
Yep, they will try for a few seconds then just roll the car back into the garage!

this offset change has nothing to do with P and non P lip. we may never know why they have a 6mm difference, but even the thickness of the rotor hats on a P aren’t 6mm thinner than non P.
What is the actual rotor hat thickness difference?

Why did Tesla steer non-PUP owners to the ET40 wheels and PUP owners to ET34 then? So far Tesla has always paired 8.5" wide ET40 wheels with non-PUP cars, and either 8.5" ET35 or 9" ET34 with PUP, right? If the lower offset for PUP cars is not to make up for the thinner rotor hat, what's it for?

What is the actual rotor hat thickness difference?

Why did Tesla steer non-PUP owners to the ET40 wheels and PUP owners to ET34 then? So far Tesla has always paired 8.5" wide ET40 wheels with non-PUP cars, and either 8.5" ET35 or 9" ET34 with PUP, right? If the lower offset for PUP cars is not to make up for the thinner rotor hat, what's it for?
OEM M3P rotor hat thickness: 2.5mm
OEM LR rotor hat thickness: 7.5mm

I can't answer your other question though!

Have you tried a slide hammer with reversible jaws? You can flip the jaws around and hook them inside of the wheel center bore (where the center cap goes) it may just break the wheel but worth a try. Also, have a second person put a pry bar in between the void of the wheel and the brake rotor hat and pry outwards while you go ape Sh!t on the slide hammer

1668638133705.png

Still no luck at this point. Trying to find a shop who is willing to spend some time and maybe get creative. The manufacturer was of no use, whatsoever.

Bad timing with the holiday coming up as I won’t be able to keep working on it next week. Hopefully I can make some progress this week 🤞

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Still no luck at this point. Trying to find a shop who is willing to spend some time and maybe get creative. The manufacturer was of no use, whatsoever.

Bad timing with the holiday coming up as I won’t be able to keep working on it next week. Hopefully I can make some progress this week 🤞
pack the hole behind the center cap with dry ice wait 20 minutes direct hit with sledgehammer maybe it will explode the aluminum.

Go to AutoZone and tell them you want the loaner 7 ton puller. AutoZone loans tools for free. This is a pretty hd puller if you can grab the wheel with it.

"OEMTOOLS 7 Ton Reversible Puller" https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...p/oemtools-7-ton-reversible-puller/409615_0_0

Stick one of these between the wheel and the rotor maybe. Don't buy this one it's just an example. It doesn't have enough travel.

NEWTRY 20T Low Profile Hydraulic Jack Porta Power Kit + CP-180 Manual Hydraulic Hand Pump , Industrial Mini Hydraulic Cylinder, Stroke 0.47” Amazon.com