Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moved to California - Navigating the DMV Waters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I just moved to California from Arizona for a job. I purchased the '21 Model Y back in October of '21 in AZ and am still financing.

I need to EVENTUALLY update my plates from AZ -> CA, update drivers license, and insurance.

I called the DMV and they mentioned 'fair market value" of the car. The number of gave them was 60k. I suppose I could of gone lower or higher.

The taxes here are going to MUCH higher than in AZ.

Does it make sense to give them a lower number of depreciation of say 45k? How have you handled the process of out of state license transfers when the state you're moving to has a much higher tax rate?

Thanks!

Hello!

I just moved to California from Arizona for a job. I purchased the '21 Model Y back in October of '21 in AZ and am still financing.

I need to EVENTUALLY update my plates from AZ -> CA, update drivers license, and insurance.

I called the DMV and they mentioned 'fair market value" of the car. The number of gave them was 60k. I suppose I could of gone lower or higher.

Does it make sense to give them a lower number of depreciation of say 45k? How have you handled the process of out of state license transfers when the state you're moving to has a much higher tax rate?

Thanks!

I havent done it, but if whatever number you give them does not make sense to them, they will likely assign value themselves.. so be prepared to defend whatever value you give if its lower.

Another note to prepare for, vehicle registration in CA is pretty high (and yearly). I have no idea what it is in AZ though so maybe you are already used to high registration costs.

Upvote 0
Hello!

Thanks!
I did this 10 years ago, but it was a leased car so it was a little easier. The main thing is you have 7 days to get to DMV for new plates and license, at least that what it was before.
Make sure you have all your paperwork when you go to DMV so you don’t waste your time and have to go back. Also make sure you bring a screwdriver. They made me take my Hawaii plates off the car and put the CA plates on in the DMV parking lot. I had to hand the HI plates in to DMV at the same time they gave me the CA ones.
I am not certain but I think the sales tax thing is for vehicles purchased within a year. Just get a CA plate in October and keep your AZ plate and don't get pulled over.
I got pulled over 10 days after moving to CA. But I guess it was hard to say I was just visiting for a few days from Hawaii.

Upvote 0
Hi so what your going to be doing is a out of state registration for the price that they want to know is the price you paid in AZ not the market value of the car right now. your going to need the Registration card from AZ and if it does not show also get a statement from AZ DMV stating the car has not been titled in that state.

I would also invest in buying a AAA membership and having them process the transaction for DMV its alot better and easier

If you have anymore questions about CA DMV feel free to reach out.

Upvote 0
I am not certain but I think the sales tax thing is for vehicles purchased within a year. Just get a CA plate in October and keep your AZ plate and don't get pulled over.
When I moved to CA from MA (over 20 years ago), tax was only due if the vehicle was purchased in the last 3 months, and only for the difference in state tax rates. I had purchased 1 month before I moved, so I just waited an extra 2 months before registering. I was surprised to see it is now 12 months (I checked and @neumanngroup is correct). Still, wait it out if you can since it will save you thousands.

Upvote 0
When I moved to CA from MA (over 20 years ago), tax was only due if the vehicle was purchased in the last 3 months, and only for the difference in state tax rates. I had purchased 1 month before I moved, so I just waited an extra 2 months before registering. I was surprised to see it is now 12 months (I checked and @neumanngroup is correct). Still, wait it out if you can since it will save you thousands.
Re-registration seems to not be enforced very tightly. There are a lot of people in my neighborhood that have been driving cars registered out of state for years. Montana and Texas seem to be popular.

Reactions: pepperoni
Upvote 0