Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Two Week Review - Heading towards 300,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I really appriciated this forum for all the help and guidance as I was looking to make my purchase. I’ve been the proud owner of a 2023 Model Y LR for just over 2.5 weeks (Yep, weeks). I have logged about 2,500 miles. I drive over 30,000 miles per year, mostly for work. I live in cold Wisconsin so am interested in what the reality of winter driving will be but read enough feedback on this forum to move forward with my purchase.

I was planning to purchase a Toyota Camry XSE Hybrid until I switched to the Model Y thanks to the government tax incentive and Elon lowering the price. My numbers are subject to questioning but after building a spreadsheet including payments, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc. I concluded that the Tesla was $28 per month cheaper than the Camry would have been…….over 10 years.

I know I could have driven the Camry 300,000 and for at least 10 years. Not sure I can do that with the Model Y, but gonna try.

So here are my thoughts, surprises, and disappointments.

Thoughts:
- I REALLY like this car. The tech is amazing. I don’t seem to have any of the build quality issues that some have had. (I have historically driven Corolla’s, so this is a step up for me.)
- The power is amazing. Just amazing.
- The super charger network (even in Wisconsin) is really good. They are everywhere I need them to be.

Surprises:
- I knew charging at home was going to save me money, but was surprised to find out that a full charge is less than $10. That’s great!
- Because of my long distance driving I’m simply going to have to charge at a super charge 3-4 times a week just to get home. I will have to charge to 100% at home, then use a super charger for 5-15 minutes. This is going to significantly cut into my estimated savings. Still cheaper than gas, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. For those that can charge almost exclusively at home, this is great.
- I got caught in a rainstorm and it dramatically reduced my range. I was surprised by the almost 5% loss in range just from 15-20 minutes of rain.

Disappointments:
- Super Charging is expensive. Based on 44 MPG (had I purchased the Camry Hybrid) my recent 850 mile trip to Ohio only saved me $10. I paid $60 in SC fees and would have paid $70 in gas.
- The lack of USS was known to me, but I remain disappointed. I bought the car anyway. I’m looking forward to updates that will hopefully improve some of the missing features I paid for.

Am I nervous about winter, yes. Am I glad I made the purchase, yes, so far. Do I like the car, yes!

I’m developing weird charging habits, probably uncessarily.

I arrive home and charge to 50%. Then set it to charge to the desired percentage the next morning when I need to go. Each day is different, so I’m not able to set it to one number and leave it.

I also feel I’m doing the two hardest things on the battery, but out of necessity for my lifestyle. I will charge it to 100% 2-4 times per week and leave the house almost immediately. I still will need to use a supercharger 2-4 times a week as well. This wasn’t what I hoped to do, but it is my reality.

Anyway, love the car. Hope things continue to go well.

oh, truck threw a rock and cracked my windshield on day 10 of ownership. Haha /sigh/

0_Tesla_Model_Y_4.jpg

"0 Tesla Model Y 4" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I won't be surprised if the range will double in the next 4 to 5 years.

I don't think this is the direction things are headed. If there are breakthroughs with energy density, it'll mostly be used to drive prices down.

There's just not a great need for cars with 600 mile batteries... that's what charging stations are for. 99% of driving is local commuting.

My wife and I typically don't use more than 10% of our range on a given day. On a heavy driving day, we might use 30%. Only on very occasionally long distance road trips is the entire range actually necessary.

I wouldn't spend another $10-20k to double our range. If anything, after owning a Model 3 LR for almost 3 years, I've learned we could get by on a lot less.

I'm more interested to see the $10k, $15k, $20k EVs of the future with sub 60kW/h batteries.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I hate going to gas stations. Sometimes you have to wait close to 10 minutes on a busy day.
Since I still own a 2 years old Acur RDX which is my weekend drive. I don't have to go once a week like I used to.
My EV is for commuting back and forth to work. Now I really hope they install charging station here at work this will save me even more money.
Yup - I don't even charge at home. Just plug in at the office mostly on monday and friday to " fill up"

I don't think this is the direction things are headed. If there are breakthroughs with energy density, it'll mostly be used to drive prices down.

There's just not a great need for cars with 600 mile batteries... that's what charging stations are for. 99% of driving is local commuting.

My wife and I typically don't use more than 10% of our range on a given day. On a heavy driving day, we might use 30%. Only on very occasionally long distance road trips is the entire range actually necessary.

I wouldn't spend another $10-20k to double our range. If anything, after owning a Model 3 LR for almost 3 years, I've learned we could get by on a lot less.

I'm more interested to see the $10k, $15k, $20k EVs of the future with sub 60kW/h batteries.

Chevy Volt was a brilliant idea.
Drop the engine, get the range up to 100 miles ( in winter driving) and price it at sub 20k and people will buy it.

None of my friends would even remotely consider buying an EV even after my exhausting bragging about how fantastic and seamless the driving experience is.
I don't honestly think there is any monetary savings in owning one.
There is a huge advantage of owning one for me, because of the tech, lack of gas station visits, Its just me tho.
Most do not care about gas stations visits, or the feel of gears shifting, and quite frankly enjoy the road trip freedom of longer stints
Have any of them driven it? Many people don’t “get it” until they drive one. Butts in seats.

Many of the EV vs gas savings comparisons are with something like a Corolla or Prius. Sorry but comparing to those cars are kinda silly given other differences between the vehicles. (Performance, features, space). Fuel saving comparisons should be made with equivalent ICE vehicles.

Have any of them driven it? Many people don’t “get it” until they drive one. Butts in seats.

Many of the EV vs gas savings comparisons are with something like a Corolla or Prius. Sorry but comparing to those cars are kinda silly given other differences between the vehicles. (Performance, features, space). Fuel saving comparisons should be made with equivalent ICE vehicles.
All of them did, and all are shocked and super impressed, some even with the simplicity of the interior.
Then, comes that "... but - i can make the trip to my summer house in 3 hours without stopping to recharge.."
Can't really argue with that

I agree on the compact gas sipper comparison.
Most people who are vocal about ICE vs EV drive luxury brands that barely get 20 miles to a gallon, and what's funnier - they mostly commute.
A perfect fit for an EV.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
All of them did, and all are shocked and super impressed, some even with the simplicity of the interior.
Then, comes that "... but - i can make the trip to my summer house in 3 hours without stopping to recharge.."
Can't really argue with that

I agree on the compact gas sipper comparison.
Most people who are vocal about ICE vs EV drive luxury brands that barely get 20 miles to a gallon, and what's funnier - they mostly commute.
A perfect fit for an EV.
And no supercharger stop for 15-20 minutes would work for them?

I find it funny when people point to the few times a year where it’s slightly less convenient while ignoring the 95% of the rest of the time where it’s more convenient.

I find it funny when people point to the few times a year where it’s slightly less convenient while ignoring the 95% of the rest of the time where it’s more convenient.

Exactly,
My wife and i are notoriously looking for places to go on weekends because driving the Y is so freaken relaxing and fun. The "more frequent" stops positively add to the experience. On longer trips one simply arrives far more relaxed.
We're not 20 anymore, and don't need to compete for the 30 minutes difference on arrival :)

Exactly,
My wife and i are notoriously looking for places to go on weekends because driving the Y is so freaken relaxing and fun. The "more frequent" stops positively add to the experience. On longer trips one simply arrives far more relaxed.
We're not 20 anymore, and don't need to compete for the 30 minutes difference on arrival :)
actually - the only bad thing about the stops is - i started smoking *facepalm.
Some form of "social habit" i re-developed

Not even to mention, 3 hours? Unless you live in Montana or somewhere like that with high speed limits and no traffic, a MYLR can do a three hour drive without recharging easy, even starting at 90%.

But yeah, this type of response is so obviously an excuse for being terrified of anything new. "Here's an edge case I just thought of that might be worse, so I'll ignore all the ways it's better."

Reactions: SO16
Not even to mention, 3 hours? Unless you live in Montana or somewhere like that with high speed limits and no traffic, a MYLR can do a three hour drive without recharging easy, even starting at 90%.

But yeah, this type of response is so obviously an excuse for being terrified of anything new. "Here's an edge case I just thought of that might be worse, so I'll ignore all the ways it's better."

To sceptics defense - i foresee the time when I'll have to get somewhere on emergency basis, and will be stuck with lack of charge, and a need to spend the time i don't have at supercharger.
Also - my recent trip to a rural Illinois location with a bunch of friends was a bit stressful.

I agree - the two above cases are the "edge" cases as you stated. But they are real concerns

To sceptics defense - i foresee the time when I'll have to get somewhere on emergency basis, and will be stuck with lack of charge, and a need to spend the time i don't have at supercharger.
Also - my recent trip to a rural Illinois location with a bunch of friends was a bit stressful.

I agree - the two above cases are the "edge" cases as you stated. But they are real concerns
for that rural place in Illinois, does PlugShare show any charging near there? I find that even if there are gaps in the supercharger network, I can find CCS charging. (Probably not always of course but every time I’ve wanted it.). For example, UP of Michigan like Copper Harbor.

we did
for that rural place in Illinois, does PlugShare show any charging near there? I find that even if there are gaps in the supercharger network, I can find CCS charging. (Probably not always of course but every time I’ve wanted it.). For example, UP of Michigan like Copper Harbor.
There was nothing conveniently close. I was hoping the house we stayed in had a 110V outlet outside for me to trickle charge. It did, but it didn't work.
Luckily, i planned and stopped in Rockford to supercharge to 80% to get me to Galena and back with some buffer. ( 320 miles round trip )

Those are the kind of situation that will discourage an average human to consider an EV.
The ICE members of the excursion did not have to plan, and were free to roam in their gas car to local wineries, getting fire wood, and ice for drinks

It's just not realistic. An "emergency" drive of a few hundred miles that can't afford a 20 minute charging stop? It's like a Keanu Reeves movie about a bomb on a bus.

Regarding driving... that gets better every year as the charging networks grow. I've driven into the vast charging desert of the Adirondack mountains multiple times and lived to tell about it.

The ICE members of the excursion did not have to plan, and were free to roam in their gas car to local wineries, getting fire wood, and ice for drinks

Those charging network gaps will be filled in as EV adoption increases. So will *every single* hotel, AirBnB, etc. have L2 charging eventually.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy - sticking to ICE due to a lack of chargers reduces the interest in investing in more chargers. That said, it's too late now... Tesla got the ball rolling and nothing will stop it.

It's just not realistic. An "emergency" drive of a few hundred miles that can't afford a 20 minute charging stop? It's like a Keanu Reeves movie about a bomb on a bus.

Regarding driving... that gets better every year as the charging networks grow. I've driven into the vast charging desert of the Adirondack mountains multiple times and lived to tell about it.

I personally agree with your statement.
Im just illustrating how others function

Those charging network gaps will be filled in as EV adoption increases. So will *every single* hotel, AirBnB, etc. have L2 charging eventually.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy - sticking to ICE due to a lack of chargers reduces the interest in investing in more chargers. That said, it's too late now... Tesla got the ball rolling and nothing will stop it.

just, someone please please - put my mind at ease that all the bad media about EV's is actually noise?
We are not moving 500,000 lbs of earth using slave or child labor to get material for ONE EV battery, are we?