Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Two Week Review - Heading towards 300,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I really appriciated this forum for all the help and guidance as I was looking to make my purchase. I’ve been the proud owner of a 2023 Model Y LR for just over 2.5 weeks (Yep, weeks). I have logged about 2,500 miles. I drive over 30,000 miles per year, mostly for work. I live in cold Wisconsin so am interested in what the reality of winter driving will be but read enough feedback on this forum to move forward with my purchase.

I was planning to purchase a Toyota Camry XSE Hybrid until I switched to the Model Y thanks to the government tax incentive and Elon lowering the price. My numbers are subject to questioning but after building a spreadsheet including payments, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc. I concluded that the Tesla was $28 per month cheaper than the Camry would have been…….over 10 years.

I know I could have driven the Camry 300,000 and for at least 10 years. Not sure I can do that with the Model Y, but gonna try.

So here are my thoughts, surprises, and disappointments.

Thoughts:
- I REALLY like this car. The tech is amazing. I don’t seem to have any of the build quality issues that some have had. (I have historically driven Corolla’s, so this is a step up for me.)
- The power is amazing. Just amazing.
- The super charger network (even in Wisconsin) is really good. They are everywhere I need them to be.

Surprises:
- I knew charging at home was going to save me money, but was surprised to find out that a full charge is less than $10. That’s great!
- Because of my long distance driving I’m simply going to have to charge at a super charge 3-4 times a week just to get home. I will have to charge to 100% at home, then use a super charger for 5-15 minutes. This is going to significantly cut into my estimated savings. Still cheaper than gas, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. For those that can charge almost exclusively at home, this is great.
- I got caught in a rainstorm and it dramatically reduced my range. I was surprised by the almost 5% loss in range just from 15-20 minutes of rain.

Disappointments:
- Super Charging is expensive. Based on 44 MPG (had I purchased the Camry Hybrid) my recent 850 mile trip to Ohio only saved me $10. I paid $60 in SC fees and would have paid $70 in gas.
- The lack of USS was known to me, but I remain disappointed. I bought the car anyway. I’m looking forward to updates that will hopefully improve some of the missing features I paid for.

Am I nervous about winter, yes. Am I glad I made the purchase, yes, so far. Do I like the car, yes!

I’m developing weird charging habits, probably uncessarily.

I arrive home and charge to 50%. Then set it to charge to the desired percentage the next morning when I need to go. Each day is different, so I’m not able to set it to one number and leave it.

I also feel I’m doing the two hardest things on the battery, but out of necessity for my lifestyle. I will charge it to 100% 2-4 times per week and leave the house almost immediately. I still will need to use a supercharger 2-4 times a week as well. This wasn’t what I hoped to do, but it is my reality.

Anyway, love the car. Hope things continue to go well.

oh, truck threw a rock and cracked my windshield on day 10 of ownership. Haha /sigh/

0_Tesla_Model_Y_4.jpg

"0 Tesla Model Y 4" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

The main disappointment for me is the Real world range...for LR 330mile u get 270 in ideal conditions if it is winter probably around 210-220
I get closer to rated range in my 3 typically about 250 out of what is now 295. I have taken numerous 650 mile trips in a day and both my wife and I prefer the Model 3 over the RAV4 and for us no time is lost as on such a long trip we typically will stop for lunch and dinner.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I have already exceeded $175 on the RAV4 as that synthetic oil is expensive. By 110,000 miles I have no doubt the RAV4 would have cost me more. And as for the driving experience, the Model 3 wins hands down. The comparison is not even close.
What does the Rav4 use, 0W-20? A big jug of Quaker State Full Synthetic is roughly 20 bucks at Walmart and a filter is roughly 10, if you are able to DIY.

I get closer to rated range in my 3 typically about 250 out of what is now 295. I have taken numerous 650 mile trips in a day and both my wife and I prefer the Model 3 over the RAV4 and for us no time is lost as on such a long trip we typically will stop for lunch and dinner.
so you are getting 250 out of 295 estimated range? mine is model Y estimate range 330 but I get around 270 in ideal conditions going(65-70) I think will be worse in winter...went to a hilly area a couple of weeks back n I got 210

In my opinion, this is the summary of every conversation regarding vehicles. Driving a Tesla is not cheaper than driving an entry level ICE, but man is it fun.

Entry level EVs of the future will definitely be cheaper to own than entry level ICE, and Tesla paved the way for us to get to entry level EVs.

Tesla is still years ahead of the pack in terms of technology and even manufacturing techniques... but it'll be really nice when the other catch up. Chinese manufacturers will help drive prices down too.
For me, I was able to convince my wife to let me purchase a MYLR because I was able to calculate that over 10 years and 300,000 miles it was actually cheaper than a fully loaded Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE (Paddle shifters on a Hybrid, hahahaha). My calculations put the Tesla at $22 per month cheaper. I'm enough of a nerd that I plan to keep track and see if my calculations were even close. Obviously some guess work will come into the equation, but I've owned 4 Toyotas, so I can make some educated guesses.

Right or wrong, I'm satisfied with my purchase and believe I'll be glad I made it. If I have to pay $7k for a new battery install, we'll see how I feel then. But I might also have to make $4k for a new engine in a Camry if things don't work right. Who knows.

The main disappointment for me is the Real world range...for LR 330mile u get 270 in ideal conditions if it is winter probably around 210-220
I'm making peace with this myself. I figure I can do around 270-280 on a charge in real life. Happily I have found that if I charge to 100% I can do 80% of my trips without having to supercharge. But I get home with about 10% left. That means as the weather gets colder I'll have to super charge more. Also, if I get 5-10% battery degradation I'll likely have to supercharge. My needed work range is just slightly greater than what the MYLR can offer, but it's close.

I've accepted that in winter time I'll just have to spend a few minutes at a supercharger a few days a week. As someone else mentioned above, I enjoy that more than a gas station. :)

I've accepted that in winter time I'll just have to spend a few minutes at a supercharger a few days a week. As someone else mentioned above, I enjoy that more than a gas station. :)
I don't use superchargers much. Only on my infrequent trips or going to my sister (can make it without if everything is perfect). But I always have a kindle book on my phone to while away the time.

Tesla total ownership costs are more than just fuel savings. For some people the savings on fuel will be more/less than others.

Sometimes you need to just put down the calculator, and enjoy the ride. Do what you can to keep running costs low, but constantly comparing yourself to other alternatives does little.

In additon to usually lower running costs, Tesla gives great handling, performance far above economy cars, the joy of not polluting your neighborhoods air, great autopilot, status, and safety rating in the highest tier.

Second guessing your decision at every Supercharger is not all that productive.

Life is more than just driving the absolutely cheapest car you can source.

Tesla total ownership costs are more than just fuel savings. For some people the savings on fuel will be more/less than others.

Sometimes you need to just put down the calculator, and enjoy the ride. Do what you can to keep running costs low, but constantly comparing yourself to other alternatives does little.

In additon to usually lower running costs, Tesla gives great handling, performance far above economy cars, the joy of not polluting your neighborhoods air, great autopilot, status, and safety rating in the highest tier.

Second guessing your decision at every Supercharger is not all that productive.

Life is more than just driving the absolutely cheapest car you can source.
It's not necessary about driving the cheapest. Don't know the poster's motivation but for a lot of us, knowledge is the thing. Or perhaps we're just data wonks. I kept track of mileage, wrote down ever gas fill for every car I had in the 55+ years of ICE driving. It can be a game. Fun.

I kept track of all this stuff with my '93 Zx convertible (one only about 500 sold in the US) and it certainly wasn't the cheapest car I could source (most expensive prior to the MY). Had to pay the federal gov 'luxury tax' on that one. Good thing that went away by the time Tesla started rolling out their cars.

I got my first electric vehicle over a decade ago. Since then I have bought two more along with three hybrids, and several gas only vehicles. I bought my least fuel-efficient vehicle ever last year (big truck).

There is still a mistake a lot of people make with electric vehicles: they look at them as gas savers first. Possibly because most have been rinky dink and that is their only selling point, but I still remember the first time I drove a Nissan leaf and this was the first gen. I instantly knew that I needed an electric drivetrain.

There are many things that a base Tesla does even a decked out Toyota can’t; dash cam, sentry mode, garage door open automatically as you pull up (without having to run another phone app). Even the app-start on most ice vehicles is inferior; Tesla app you open and turn on climate. In my ice cars I have to lock it first through the app (I never lock doors otherwise), and hope that worked, and then I have to start the engine, and then I have to start climate. It’s too many steps. It just is a pain. There’s also simply no reason why cars need to have an on off button. Like: why? Just stop. Tbh it legitimately pisses me off that most manufacturers ignore obvious functionality like a built in dash cam.

so you are getting 250 out of 295 estimated range? mine is model Y estimate range 330 but I get around 270 in ideal conditions going(65-70) I think will be worse in winter...went to a hilly area a couple of weeks back n I got 210
Yes that is about what I got last winter with the cool weather and the hills. I have 18" Aero wheels which I hear help. I also set the cruise at 71 as higher speeds hit the range hard.

Reactions: tampaboyt
What does the Rav4 use, 0W-20? A big jug of Quaker State Full Synthetic is roughly 20 bucks at Walmart and a filter is roughly 10, if you are able to DIY.
The Toyota uses 0W-16 and usually the cheapest I have found a jug is about $25 add in a good filter with tax and I am over $40. And yes I am a DIY and I also needed to buy the special wrench needed for the RAV4 that was another $20 but that is a one time cost.

What you’re saving is good but I also consider what I’m saving is the air quality that I breathe not going to gas stations and doing what I can to help save the planet by not burning fossil fuels. I also have Tesla solar panels at home and am able to fill up on sunshine here in Phoenix Arizona.

What you’re saving is good but I also consider what I’m saving is the air quality that I breathe not going to gas stations and doing what I can to help save the planet by not burning fossil fuels. I also have Tesla solar panels at home and am able to fill up on sunshine here in Phoenix Arizona.
Exactly! I feel like if I can afford to, I should be helping lead the transition to a fossil fuel-less future*. That's why I bought my Bolt EV as soon as they came out. Then I learned how much better EVs are than ICE, and would never go back. So I got the Model Y for long distance trips. About the same lifetime cost as a Rav4, but carries more, auto-steers better, is quieter, preconditions easy, gets up to speed on the Merritt parkway zero-merge-area entrances, less time wasted fueling and maintaining,....

Same with mini-split heat pumps. Come for the climate-saving effects, stay for the quiet and comfort and features and did I mention quiet? Or induction cooktop. I knew it would be better than gas, but it's even more betterer than I expected.

It's an electric world. Let's go!

*Dibs on band name

For Camry you forgot to calculate these maintenance things:
1. Brake pad and rotors. With 300K you will replace those at least 4 times. Total: $1000
2. Spark plugs - every 100K miles. Total: $300-500
3. Timing and driving belts. This service is also pretty expensive, every 100K miles. Total: $1500-2500
4. Break fluid, coolant replacement - every 50K miles or so. Total: $1000

So over the 300K miles, you are looking at $4000-5000 to cover those services.

1) Probably once for brakes on a hybrid Camry (they have regenerative braking too), $250.
2) Twice on the plugs, $80
3) Twice on the ACC belt, $60.
4) Brake fluid is a wash with Tesla, coolant ever 100k, $100

Under $500 by my calculations, but I do that all myself.

Just got my MYL a month ago and loving it. I really do enjoying one pedal driving. I never thought in a million year that I would.
All my ICE cars lasted me about 7 years and up. I don't think I will keep this one that long.
As soon as the newer version of any Brand offers more range, I will definitly trading it in.
I won't be surprised if the range will double in the next 4 to 5 years.

Reactions: father_of_6
None of my friends would even remotely consider buying an EV even after my exhausting bragging about how fantastic and seamless the driving experience is.
I don't honestly think there is any monetary savings in owning one.
There is a huge advantage of owning one for me, because of the tech, lack of gas station visits, Its just me tho.
Most do not care about gas stations visits, or the feel of gears shifting, and quite frankly enjoy the road trip freedom of longer stints
I hate going to gas stations. Sometimes you have to wait close to 10 minutes on a busy day.
Since I still own a 2 years old Acur RDX which is my weekend drive. I don't have to go once a week like I used to.
My EV is for commuting back and forth to work. Now I really hope they install charging station here at work this will save me even more money.