Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently going through the process of buying a new house... Now thinking about what to do with the EV Charger, wondered if anyone has or is gone/going through this process already? It's a Rolec installed just over 12 months ago.

Thanks!

TBH, I’d check what the charger is going for second hand and then deduct any selling fees applicable. Then see if this would cover the cost of having it capped by an electrician plus leave you enough to compensate you for your time.

I’m sure than anyone buying a second hand charger would be the type of person to make good use of it, so that is probably the most ‘green’ thing to do.

I fit was an expensive one like an Andersen then I'd be wanting to take it with me, unless the buyer wanted it and reflected that in their offer price.
If it was something like a Rolec then I wouldnt bother. The cost of removing it and making safe wouldn't cover the cost of the charge point. You'd have to arrange a sparkie to disconnect the wiring at the CU at the very least.

Reactions: Durzel
We moved recently, left behind our Zappi that was installed in Jan and have bought a new one. The new owners weren’t bothered about what we did but I felt removing it was just asking for problems. Have had an electrician set up power for new charger - upgraded power to garage at the same time, putting in new sockets in garage and outside and new distribution board. Went this route rather than just pod point or something as it needed 25m of armoured cable putting in, so I think it would have cost quite a lot. He put in 16mm cable to future proof in case we need 2 chargers in future (he’s left a spare breaker in the new distribution board). Now waiting for new zappi to be delivered (three weeks apparently). Total cost about £1500 which I’m happy with (he’s done various other things too, several days work in total).

Reactions: StevehConwy
I would 100% leave it, will probably add more to the value of the house anyway ("honey, what if we end up buying an EV, you know that ban is coming") than it cost you to install.
Agree with this. It’s a value add to the property. You could remove it but it would cost money and arguably you could use it as a point of negotiation.

EDIT: Just re-read, house already sold. Meh still don’t think it’s worth the hassle for a Rolec (no offence)

Reactions: CMc1
If you’ve sold the house with the charge point installed and haven’t included a clause regarding its subsequent removal then taking it with you when you leave could - in extremis- be interpreted as criminal damage.

It’s part of the house that you have contracted to sell to someone else. Would you think it’s ok to take the roof tiles or floorboards with you ?

Same concept....

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
You'll struggle to even migrate it to a different location at the same property.

Originally when we transitioned to EV's ~3 months ago we bought a send hand podpoint for £140. The unit was about 18 months old, always kept inside and came with the RCD and all the various electrician bits.

It could not be installed at our home as some component within it was no longer compliant with the latest electrical standards and would have to be replaced.

As the podpoint was only intended as a temporary stopgap, we went with a brand new Zappi instead. Installed, with the full warranty, and it's a better unit than the podpoint.

If you’ve sold the house with the charge point installed and haven’t included a clause regarding its subsequent removal then taking it with you when you leave could - in extremis- be interpreted as criminal damage.

It’s part of the house that you have contracted to sell to someone else. Would you think it’s ok to take the roof tiles or floorboards with you ?

Same concept....

This ^^^ is relevant, almost caught me out when we moved. The charge point was fitted when the agent came around to draw up the details, and even though I explained to him that I needed to remove it before sale, as it is home made, so doesn't have type approval or a CE mark, he included it. Luckily I spotted it, asked him to remove it from the description and photoshopped a picture so it didn't show. I needed to keep it connected to charge the car until we moved out, but just explained to any prospective buyer why it wasn't included.

When it comes to moving a charge point, the best thing to do would be to just terminate the charge point end of the cable in a wiska box. That way it'd be safe, and if someone wanted to fit another one it would be a ten minute job.

As the charge point is a Rolec, I'd frankly not bother moving it, and just leave it behind. The cost of moving it would almost certainly exceed its value, IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro

Same concept....

I would imagine taking the floorboards or the roof tiles would not be acceptable however, I could take an integrated fridge/freezer if desired. Or in fact, any fixtures and/or fittings that aren't negotiated as part of the sale. There is nothing explicit that lists a charger as part of it. In my case, the (un)installation is actually very straight forward. it is mounted right next to the meter box and the supply is fed directly out of there.

I hadn't made the link that yes, for some people the installation might be more complex and then understandably, they have to take that specific set of circumstances into account.

You'll struggle to even migrate it to a different location at the same property.

Originally when we transitioned to EV's ~3 months ago we bought a send hand podpoint for £140. The unit was about 18 months old, always kept inside and came with the RCD and all the various electrician bits.

It could not be installed at our home as some component within it was no longer compliant with the latest electrical standards and would have to be replaced.

As the podpoint was only intended as a temporary stopgap, we went with a brand new Zappi instead. Installed, with the full warranty, and it's a better unit than the podpoint.

Interesting points raised thank you.

After giving it some thought I may just buy a Tesla wall charger. I didn't do this first time round as 1) I was (even) more naive about it all then I am now and 2) it wasn't included with the grant - That I won't be getting now anyway...

I wonder if there's an issue with building regs? A charge point installation is notifiable work (in England and Wales) under Part P of the building regs. As such, the installation certificate will be lodged on the central register of approvals for the property, held by building control. I've no idea if removing something means getting that changed or not, but it might be something a particularly awkward solicitor/conveyancer might pick up on, perhaps. They do seem to check this stuff, as we had endless requests about things like building regs approvals for replacement windows, an extension and even added insulation (which didn't require BR approval anyway).

• Informative
Reactions: OneTinyFish
The issue could be a potential civil breach of contract claim if the charge point (a fixture) is removed without notice. However, the fixture could be negotiated as not foming part of the sale - speak to your conveyancer. It would not be criminal damage as you would be taking it while you still owned it.