Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Alaska with Tesla X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking of moving to Anchorage with my Tesla X. Any issues with battery draining during cold winter months while parked outside at work all day?
In the Northeast, our winters are definitely milder compared to Alaska, but I drive 80 miles round trip without issue. I lose about 25% more juice in the cold. Always keep it plugged in at home. Not only does this ensure your juiced up for your next drive, but I regularly use the app to preheat and melt snow/prevent snow build up. I wouldn't anticipate too much drain while parked, but be sure not to leave your heat on.

Upvote 0
In the Northeast, our winters are definitely milder compared to Alaska, but I drive 80 miles round trip without issue. I lose about 25% more juice in the cold. Always keep it plugged in at home. Not only does this ensure your juiced up for your next drive, but I regularly use the app to preheat and melt snow/prevent snow build up. I wouldn't anticipate too much drain while parked, but be sure not to leave your heat on.
Thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Good to know. I've been wondering what type of range loss I would see in the cold.

Upvote 0
Hello fellow *future* Alaskan..

Coming from a 18 Model 3 and 21 Model Y here in Anchorage, during peak winter harshness and an 8 hour exposure to the outside environment while at work, I was seeing about ~20% decrease in range while parked in extreme cases.

Happy to answer any questions you may have

Upvote 0
Good point…any idea if there is that capability in Anchorage? Or should I look at another post for that? Thanks
There is an assigned Mobile Technician who is based in Alaska who takes care of the entire state (I know, sounds shocking but he manages to get things done even though sometimes it may take a little while) they are supposed to be adding an extra set of hands if not already to help cover. They usually jump on critical stuff fairly quickly, like our heat pump issue etc..

Thankfully though, for owning Tesla for 3+ years we had minimal need for any maintenance. Only a few minor things that were addressed by the mobile technician who drove to my work and get the job done while I was in the office.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
There is an assigned Mobile Technician who is based in Alaska who takes care of the entire state (I know, sounds shocking but he manages to get things done even though sometimes it may take a little while) they are supposed to be adding an extra set of hands if not already to help cover. They usually jump on critical stuff fairly quickly, like our heat pump issue etc..
Really? All of Alaska mobile service tech. That has to the best Tesla job in all of Alaska <sigh>

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 907XCP
Upvote 0
Hello fellow *future* Alaskan..

Coming from a 18 Model 3 and 21 Model Y here in Anchorage, during peak winter harshness and an 8 hour exposure to the outside environment while at work, I was seeing about ~20% decrease in range while parked in extreme cases.

Happy to answer any questions you may have

I live in the Valley. Still enjoying yours? I have a MY likely to deliver any day now…. also trying to decide if I should try to put it on hold until January.

Upvote 0