Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP compression rod and control arm bearings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reached put to MPP about this before and their response was something like the bearing was installed incorrectly in the pic and the reason the fat end is pressed in first is to prevent possible slip of the bearing inside the aluminum case under hard breaking.

• Informative
Reactions: dsgerbc and tm1v2
Instructions mention need to jack up front knuckle to attach damper bolt.
Haven't seen this done in a couple of vids.
Will this be necessary?
Yes. If you tighten that bolt with suspension at full droop, the bushing will be twisted at ride height and will likely degrade/tear quickly. The bushing preload will also make the car sit higher than with that bolt tightened at or near ride-height.

Has anyone had NVH from the LCA bearing?
Im getting substantial road noice. I haven't seen where this was an issue and don't consider myself as highly sensitive to this. It's only reasonable on smooth newly paved road. Its bad enough I'm considering pressing the OEM bushings back in. I thought i would start with removing the sleeves to see if that helped. I did put the FUCA on at the same time i added the bearings, and had it aligned. I cant imagine it would be the FUCA.
I insulated over the front wheel well and put an insulated blankets in the front tub just to see if it would help, but it seems like its reverberating through the subframe. Any thoughts?

MPP sport coil overs
camber arms
inserts
Stock 19 DWS 06 245/40/19, no significant road noise pryer

Thx

Im getting substantial road noice. I haven't seen where this was an issue and don't consider myself as highly sensitive to this. It's only reasonable on smooth newly paved road. Its bad enough I'm considering pressing the OEM bushings back in. I thought i would start with removing the sleeves to see if that helped. I did put the FUCA on at the same time i added the bearings, and had it aligned. I cant imagine it would be the FUCA.
I insulated over the front wheel well and put an insulated blankets in the front tub just to see if it would help, but it seems like its reverberating through the subframe. Any thoughts?

MPP sport coil overs
camber arms
inserts

Thx
Can you get a video of the noise? The only thing I can think of is damage from being pressed in. I have these bearings on both of my 3's and haven't noticed any increased NVH. Any pics of the bearings installed?

MPP sport coil overs
camber arms
inserts

Thx
We have the front lower control arm bushing on both cars. No discernible increase in noise or vibration. The other front control arm bushing on the other hand the one that allows you to get some variable camber does increase road noise/ vibration.

I did press one side in upside down, continued pressing it out the same way and repressed. The aluminum bearing casing was marred a bit from pressing. I don't have a pressure gage on the northern tool press, but did feel the pressure needed felt approx the same. it was tricky getting the bolt aligned up with the sleeves initially if the angle isn't just right, so once torqued, i backed every thing completely out and reattached to make sure nothing was bound up.
I can get pics and sound, but the wide blue side of the bearings are flush to the front side of the LCA. it sounds like a giant empty coke bottle is mounted to the front of the car and air is blowing across the top. When i took it for a test drive a mile down the road I thought i forgot to reattach the under tray, I stopped to look under the car, expecting to see part of it hanging off.

I did press one side in upside down, continued pressing it out the same way and repressed. The aluminum bearing casing was marred a bit from pressing. I don't have a pressure gage on the northern tool press, but did feel the pressure needed felt approx the same. it was tricky getting the bolt aligned up with the sleeves initially if the angle isn't just right, so once torqued, i backed every thing completely out and reattached to make sure nothing was bound up.
I can get pics and sound, but the wide blue side of the bearings are flush to the front side of the LCA. it sounds like a giant empty coke bottle is mounted to the front of the car and air is blowing across the top. When i took it for a test drive a mile down the road I thought i forgot to reattach the under tray, I stopped to look under the car, expecting to see part of it hanging off.
I would be inclined to make sure the top damper nuts are torqued properly (this is a super common reason for noise) and also just verify that your swaybar bushings and end links are in good shape. My own end links were clunking but they didn't have any play in them when I checked. Swapped them out - $28 later my car was nice and quiet again!

@gigg Just as another reference point, I didn't notice any road noise increase from these either. I installed MPP FLCA bearings + MPP compression rod inserts + Redwood Performance Sport front coilovers with Redwood pillowball top hats all together. (Got to the rear suspension a week later...)

Now I didn't take sound measurements or attempt a strictly controlled test or anything like that. I assume when replacing rubber bushings with solid bearings, there is always SOME increase in transmitted NVH, that could be measured in a carefully controlled test, but it was small enough that I didn't notice. As with @SK360, my M3P is shared with my wife and she has not mentioned any issue with road noise either.

I rode in a very stock looking 2022 or 2021 Model 3 Uber recently on roads I know well, and that car did have slightly lower road noise & impact noise than ours. I'm sure it had quieter tires though than my performance rubber, especially if it was still on its stock foam lined tires (I didn't check). My guess is my bushing upgrades play a small part in the tire noise increase over that car, but the bigger difference is the tires themselves.

What other work did you do at the same time? I always double-check to make sure everything is torqued and paint-pen them. It's easy to forget to torque one nut or bolt and it can make horrific sounds.

PXL_20220327_165530811.jpg

I would be inclined to make sure the top damper nuts are torqued properly (this is a super common reason for noise) and also just verify that your swaybar bushings and end links are in good shape. My own end links were clunking but they didn't have any play in them when I checked. Swapped them out - $28 later my car was nice and quiet again!
It sounds like @gigg 's noise is not knocking/rattling, like the topmount nuts or swaybay bushings would make, but a constant howl-ish type road/tire noise?
I've had similar increase in NVH from mounting front coilover springs w/o rubber isolators. Any chance your MPP coilover isolators/perch adaptors got unseated while you were working on the arms?

I too had no NVH change from the compression rod bearings install.

@gigg are you on MPP arms or some other arms?

No knocking or rattling, Its a constant road noise sound, like blowing over an empty bottle.
I loosened and re-torqued everything, some of it multiple times .
Sway bar and bushings were replaced six months ago. 2022 LR
I did the FUCA and bearings at the same time. I typically like to change one thing at a time, but wanted to do both before having aligned.
All the other arms are stock
Only thing i can think is having repressed the bearing. It did remove a reasonable amount of material from the bearing the first time.

as someone with all these components....its upsetting to see so many say there is no noticeable NVH increase.

its noticeable, just not annoying or unexpected. There is certainly more NVH with the bearings.

didnt see anyone ask you about what PSI you have your tires at?
did you get it back on the alignment rack to confirm the settings stayed put?

how about your hearing, have you had any hearing impairment or ear issues in your life?

my hearing is *sugar* in general...like if a TV is on, i can barely make out my wife talking to me in the next seat over.....but if the room is silent, im able to pick up the most acute of noises, i believe the damage to my eardrums has made them super sensitive to vibrations in my local atmosphere. BUT not if there is other noises like a TV or loud Air conditioner.

I say this because maybe you are being a little sensitive....you changed the part for perf..not comfort...WE PROMISE YOU WILL GET OVER IT, JUST DRIVE!