Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Lift Kit Install Instructions, Range Discussion & Driving Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MountainPass They are 245/60/18s on Black Rhino 18x8.5 with a 35mm offset. The tires right now are Conti Vikingcontact 7s for the winter.

The place I got the wheels and tires had tried larger diameter tires on another Model Y and decided this was the largest you could do before rubbing or taking other drastic measures.

I just took it up a supper rutted out gravel road to do some mountain biking and it worked great!

That's such great news, I hope you have an awesome time with your lifted Y and have fun in the winter too.

@MountainPass They are 245/60/18s on Black Rhino 18x8.5 with a 35mm offset. The tires right now are Conti Vikingcontact 7s for the winter.

The place I got the wheels and tires had tried larger diameter tires on another Model Y and decided this was the largest you could do before rubbing or taking other drastic measures.

I just took it up a supper rutted out gravel road to do some mountain biking and it worked great!
I wonder if 265/55R18 on 18x9.0 with offset of 30mm would work

I wonder if 265/55R18 on 18x9.0 with offset of 30mm would work

I certainly don't know for sure - you'd have to find a shop willing to work with you on giving it a shot. The diameter is about the same as mine.... and if you go to willtheyfit.com and compare those wheels to the stock setup, they will stick out further (maybe out past the wheel well?) and will still be 3/4 inch further away from the suspension. https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=55&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9&offset2=30

Seems like it'd work?? But only one real way to find out!

Reactions: Atraf
I certainly don't know for sure - you'd have to find a shop willing to work with you on giving it a shot. The diameter is about the same as mine.... and if you go to willtheyfit.com and compare those wheels to the stock setup, they will stick out further (maybe out past the wheel well?) and will still be 3/4 inch further away from the suspension. https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=55&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9&offset2=30

Seems like it'd work?? But only one real way to find out!

Using the willtheyfit I'm trying to see if a setup that matches yours in all aspects except poke would work, for example: 265/55R18 on 18x10 with offset of either 20mm or 17mm, its effectively just wider but not taller nor closer to the front upper knuckle, thus centrifugal forces should have an ever so slightly less of a chance to cause rubbing with front upper knuckle.

How much space do you have in the front between the wheel and the inner well when the wheels are turned all the way?
And how much space do you have between the outer edge of the tires and the body of the car?
Could you please post a few photos of the front when turned and of the rear from the back? Thank you !!

Have you guys taken a look at the suspension just launched by Unplugged? DIRT AND SNOW COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT FOR TESLA MODEL Y - Unplugged Performance

This looks like a much more versatile option than the MPP lift kit + MPP coilovers setup I had planned to get, since it actually increases suspension travel and allows for lift (up to 4" according to their description). @UnpluggedP Can you tell us a little more about how adjustable this option will be?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tyler34 and skitown
Have you guys taken a look at the suspension just launched by Unplugged? DIRT AND SNOW COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT FOR TESLA MODEL Y - Unplugged Performance

This looks like a much more versatile option than the MPP lift kit + MPP coilovers setup I had planned to get, since it actually increases suspension travel and allows for lift (up to 4" according to their description). @UnpluggedP Can you tell us a little more about how adjustable this option will be?

Are you planning to combine the MPP lift kit with the UP off-road coilovers for total of 5.75” lift?

• Funny
Reactions: MODEL+
Honestly, I think the combined 6.6" stock ride height w/ up to 4" lift would give a very respectable 10.5". I'd like to know how easy it is to adjust as I assume I would daily drive it closer to ~8" and only raise it higher when going off-road.
To my knowledge UP are yet to release product pictures but I feel it’s safe to assume that given that they didn’t said it’s motorized ... the user would need to open frunk and twist two dials and then do the same in the trunk
I can’t wait to see it in action and also to see someone that goes all in with the MPP lift kit and as big of tires as they can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nakk and PNWLeccy
Hey @Atraf sorry for the delay in responding.... But it took some closeup pics of my setup.

With 245/60/18s on full turn you only have 1/16th of an inch clearance to the back of the wheel well, and about 3/4inch to the front. And also maybe just 3/4 inch to the knuckle.

I wouldn't do any tire that's any larger diameter because of the knuckle.... And I'd be worried that a wider tire (like your suggested 265) would rub on full turn.

Maybe with this new UP lift you could get away with larger diameter? Depending on how the knuckle moved? But only if going narrower, because of the wheel well. Which might affect traction? It's all a giant experiment.

20201030_110257.jpg
20201030_110227.jpg
20201030_110200.jpg
20201030_110123.jpg
20201030_110031.jpg
20201030_110025.jpg
20201030_110009.jpg
20201030_105950.jpg

Hey @Atraf sorry for the delay in responding.... But it took some closeup pics of my setup.

With 245/60/18s on full turn you only have 1/16th of an inch clearance to the back of the wheel well, and about 3/4inch to the front. And also maybe just 3/4 inch to the knuckle.

I wouldn't do any tire that's any larger diameter because of the knuckle.... And I'd be worried that a wider tire (like your suggested 265) would rub on full turn.

Very cool!!!

A quick question. It's hard for me to figure this out looking at your pictures... You've got wheels with 35mm offset, right? So a wheel with 45mm offset would be 10mm closer to the knuckle, about 3/8". Do you think your setup would still clear the knuckle in that case?

Maybe with this new UP lift you could get away with larger diameter? Depending on how the knuckle moved? But only if going narrower, because of the wheel well. Which might affect traction? It's all a giant experiment.

View attachment 604425 View attachment 604426 View attachment 604428 View attachment 604430 View attachment 604431 View attachment 604433 View attachment 604434 View attachment 604435
Thank you for the very informative follow up !

I wonder if tire expansion due to centrifugal force could cause it to rub, 1/16" is crazy tight, while it won't look as good, perhaps 255/55/18x9.5 +30mm would leave more space (or maybe just plain 245/55/18 on same 8.5" +35mm).
Please update us if you ever end up finding out that it rubs (ex, while going at 80mph on not so cold day...)

Very cool!!!

A quick question. It's hard for me to figure this out looking at your pictures... You've got wheels with 35mm offset, right? So a wheel with 45mm offset would be 10mm closer to the knuckle, about 3/8". Do you think your setup would still clear the knuckle in that case?

Offset and rim width are closely tied together on how they affect spacing in the wheel well... If you have the same width wheel as me (8.5") with 45 offset I'd be concerned about clearance, but I couldn't say for sure. Go to willtheyfit and see how your wheel and tire set up compare on the inner wheel side. My set up is 245/60/18 on 18x8.5 wheels. The site is crazy helpful.

Reactions: Nakk
Thank you for the very informative follow up !

I wonder if tire expansion due to centrifugal force could cause it to rub, 1/16" is crazy tight, while it won't look as good, perhaps 255/55/18x9.5 +30mm would leave more space (or maybe just plain 245/55/18 on same 8.5" +35mm).
Please update us if you ever end up finding out that it rubs (ex, while going at 80mph on not so cold day...)

It's only that close on full turn. I don't plan on doing 80 at full turn. I'm on crappy, snowy, muddy roads every day where I live, and there's enough clearance for normal driving with muck buildup.... That's all I really care about.

Reactions: Atraf
It's only that close on full turn. I don't plan on doing 80 at full turn. I'm on crappy, snowy, muddy roads every day where I live, and there's enough clearance for normal driving with muck buildup.... That's all I really care about.
Didn't realize that it was during full turn, thought it was straight on, that totally explains what you said about width.
In that case it seems like you found the maximal non-track size, great work!

Reactions: Nakk
omg. that paint. what?! I'll allow it. mad props.
IKR? And it doesn’t even costs that much (cheaper than high-end ceramic paint lol)
reallly tempted by this but need to do more reading on longevity of it and how to care for it (or just how capable is it)

Between the tires and the weight/drag of the paint+ lift I wonder how much range they are giving up.. screw it I'm in anyway
The lift kit by itself has been proven (even here on this forums by others) to have negligible impact on range (not even 1%)
Assuming the tires don’t run or protrude it’s just a question of rolling resistance / grip, I suppose, that said .. the tires are probably tbt biggest hit here.

drag from paint is .. interesting point, sadly the shop that posted tbt above didn’t give away owners IG so can’t easily reach out tot he guy and ask how it all worked out

he did downsize from 19 to 18” which probably saved some weight

I won’t be surprised if the range loss is around 30miles or so

But yeah, extremely tempting setup :)

I just wish it was doable on Model 3 :/ just a tiny bit more clearance in front upper knuckle and .. AT tires could have fit without bunkers loss of range ...
@MountainPass any chance you guys are working on 3rd party upper knuckle for the model 3?

Reactions: gt2690b