TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MS backup camera difference?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ‘Merica, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JoeMartin

JoeMartin Member

Not yet, it just came in yesterday.

2. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Ok.
    Please let us know how it went once you've done it.

3. Shadnic

Shadnic Member

If some kind and capable person wanted to make a video guide of this installation that would be absolutely incredible

• Like x 1
  4. random155

random155 Member

I installed mine a few weeks ago. It’s relatively simple.

Remove trunk hatch trim starting with the piece closest to the back seat. Don’t forget to remove pull handles.

Heat up ends of chrome trim on trunk lid and use fishing line to separate. Pull very gently to remove rest of trim. It’s clipped in other than the sticky ends.

Remove black trim plastic piece behind chrome trim.

Unplug camera and unscrew two screws holding in place.

plug in new camera and reverse the whole process

Make sure to have some double sided 3m tape to resecure the ends of the chrome trunk trim.

While i was at it I also removed tail lights and got the bugs out.

Good luck.

• Like x 1
  5. JoeMartin

JoeMartin Member

I actually planned to do that this weekend when I go to install mine. =)

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

This is no longer an option. Seller removed the "Best Offer" option and now you can only buy for $89 plus shipping which is an absurd $8.25 per item. No thanks.

For low $40's I'm in but for $100ish for slightly better resolution on the back-up camera that's just silly. Congrats to those that got in for low $40's because I'm out until I can find them for around the same price. I like the idea of this mod but I'm not going to lose any sleep if I don't get it so I'm not willing to part with about $200 to upgrade two cars since it's such an insignificant upgrade in the grand scheme of things.

Knowing these Teslas, I'll just wait until my existing cameras start to have issues and get Tesla to replace them under warranty with the newer version. So far that's worked out well for other items to include the main touchscreen in both cars which were recently upgraded to 1080p at no charge thanks to bubbles.

Pretty sure the cameras will fail at some point in the next couple of years too since everything else does.

7. Shadnic

Shadnic Member

I'm not sure if this is a new policy or not, but last time I took my car into the SC for a bubble on the screen, they charged me a $200 deductible for the service. I asked them about this because I've brought my car in many times under my extended service agreement and never been charged that, and they said that they now charge that for every service visit like a co-pay. So, if that holds true, taking it in for a damaged rear-view mirror will end up costing $200 anyway.

8. hoops129

hoops129 Member

Did anyone figure out when they upgraded the camera? Just bought an Oct 2017 build but haven't received it yet. Will it be obvious if it is old vs new?

9. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

I'm not talking about extended service plans. Those things are junk and you just found out why.

10. Shadnic

Shadnic Member

I mean, it was a $1400 fix if I paid out of pocket so I'm still glad to pay the $200. I've gotten tons of repairs (even a motor replacement) on the car covered for free with it so I'm not sure if I'd call it junk. This was the first time they'd ever charged a deductible. Certainly better than just being out of warranty.

11. random155

random155 Member

Im sure you signed some kind of contract with your ESA. Was the $200 listed for every visit in this contract? I ask for obvious reasons...

12. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

But you didn't just pay $200, did you? How much was your ESA?

13. Shadnic

Shadnic Member

The previous owner purchased it, I inherited it when I bought the car.

14. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

You still "paid" for it whether you want to admit it or not. The seller built the cost associated with it into the price of the car. We're getting off topic here though. Suffice it to say I have zero interest in paying $200 to "upgrade" my backup camera.

15. analRaviOli

analRaviOli Member

I actually got mime to be replaced for free and they upgrade mine to the latest one on my 2014. My back up was showing weird artifacts. They replaced it, and i noticed the changes in clarity.

16. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

The backup camera difference between models can be less than this.

Basically there are three main backup camera versions in Model S:

1. The original ”low-res” backup camera, later without Tech Package, clearly inferior compared to the rest (around 2012-2014)
    2. The ”high-res” backup camera, with Tech Package, later standard (until around mid-2016)
    3. The current backup camera, sharpest of them all, but not that big a difference to 2. (standard from mid-2016 onwards)

17. JoeMartin

JoeMartin Member

And we are done! Took me around 2-3 hours to do, and I only broke 4 retaining clips.
    I'd say it's a notable improvement. I have a 2014 P85 with Tech Package, so I believe I had the "high-res" back up camera previously, but will say that this was worth it.

• Like x 2
  18. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Huge thanks for taking the time to make the video :cool:

19. JoeMartin

JoeMartin Member

You're quite welcome, I'm glad I can offer some sort of help for this community. Let me know if you have any questions about the process or anything I can elaborate on.

• Like x 1
  20. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Will do if i need it.
    Thank you.