Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS backup camera difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed mine a few weeks ago. It’s relatively simple.

Remove trunk hatch trim starting with the piece closest to the back seat. Don’t forget to remove pull handles.

Heat up ends of chrome trim on trunk lid and use fishing line to separate. Pull very gently to remove rest of trim. It’s clipped in other than the sticky ends.

Remove black trim plastic piece behind chrome trim.

Unplug camera and unscrew two screws holding in place.

plug in new camera and reverse the whole process

Make sure to have some double sided 3m tape to resecure the ends of the chrome trunk trim.

While i was at it I also removed tail lights and got the bugs out.

Good luck.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Camera Tesla Model X Tailgate Boot Lid Reversing Camera 1061269-00-C | eBay

Here's the one I bought. I offered $44.25 and he accepted.
This is no longer an option. Seller removed the "Best Offer" option and now you can only buy for $89 plus shipping which is an absurd $8.25 per item. No thanks.

For low $40's I'm in but for $100ish for slightly better resolution on the back-up camera that's just silly. Congrats to those that got in for low $40's because I'm out until I can find them for around the same price. I like the idea of this mod but I'm not going to lose any sleep if I don't get it so I'm not willing to part with about $200 to upgrade two cars since it's such an insignificant upgrade in the grand scheme of things.

Knowing these Teslas, I'll just wait until my existing cameras start to have issues and get Tesla to replace them under warranty with the newer version. So far that's worked out well for other items to include the main touchscreen in both cars which were recently upgraded to 1080p at no charge thanks to bubbles.

Pretty sure the cameras will fail at some point in the next couple of years too since everything else does.

Knowing these Teslas, I'll just wait until my existing cameras start to have issues and get Tesla to replace them under warranty with the newer version. So far that's worked out well for other items to include the main touchscreen in both cars which were recently upgraded to 1080p at no charge thanks to bubbles.

I'm not sure if this is a new policy or not, but last time I took my car into the SC for a bubble on the screen, they charged me a $200 deductible for the service. I asked them about this because I've brought my car in many times under my extended service agreement and never been charged that, and they said that they now charge that for every service visit like a co-pay. So, if that holds true, taking it in for a damaged rear-view mirror will end up costing $200 anyway.

I'm not sure if this is a new policy or not, but last time I took my car into the SC for a bubble on the screen, they charged me a $200 deductible for the service. I asked them about this because I've brought my car in many times under my extended service agreement and never been charged that, and they said that they now charge that for every service visit like a co-pay. So, if that holds true, taking it in for a damaged rear-view mirror will end up costing $200 anyway.
I'm not talking about extended service plans. Those things are junk and you just found out why.

I'm not talking about extended service plans. Those things are junk and you just found out why.

I mean, it was a $1400 fix if I paid out of pocket so I'm still glad to pay the $200. I've gotten tons of repairs (even a motor replacement) on the car covered for free with it so I'm not sure if I'd call it junk. This was the first time they'd ever charged a deductible. Certainly better than just being out of warranty.

Im sure you signed some kind of contract with your ESA. Was the $200 listed for every visit in this contract? I ask for obvious reasons...

I mean, it was a $1400 fix if I paid out of pocket so I'm still glad to pay the $200. I've gotten tons of repairs (even a motor replacement) on the car covered for free with it so I'm not sure if I'd call it junk. This was the first time they'd ever charged a deductible. Certainly better than just being out of warranty.
But you didn't just pay $200, did you? How much was your ESA?

View attachment 439022 View attachment 439023 View attachment 439024 View attachment 439025 Did this tonight and it was actually quite easy! The hardest part was getting the interior trim lined back up with the green push pins. Thanks for the tip!

The backup camera difference between models can be less than this.

Basically there are three main backup camera versions in Model S:

1. The original ”low-res” backup camera, later without Tech Package, clearly inferior compared to the rest (around 2012-2014)
2. The ”high-res” backup camera, with Tech Package, later standard (until around mid-2016)
3. The current backup camera, sharpest of them all, but not that big a difference to 2. (standard from mid-2016 onwards)