Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Led Headlights vs Audi Led Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I (driving our Tesla) was leaving at the same time as my wife this morning (driving our Audi RS7) and was struck at the difference between the two OEM Led headlights. To me, this picture, which was taken from my Tesla, shows how much better the Audi's headlights (on the left) are when compared against the Tesla's headlights (on the right). The beam shape and intensity is much more uniform, there is no glare, etc. This has been oft discussed but rarely quantified. Hopefully this will help someone. If not, oh well.

20190909_065329.jpg
20190909_065335.jpg

Fully agree, Model S headlights are garbage. Only takes a few minutes driving around in the dark to reach that conclusion.
Curious to know what car you're comparing the S to or perhaps you're comparing it to any specific but simply stating that the light output makes it hard to drive at night. Reason why I'm asking is simply because I think the headlights are perfectly fine and adequate, but I've had the car for only 2.5 months and maybe I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

Curious to know what car you're comparing the S to or perhaps you're comparing it to any specific but simply stating that the light output makes it hard to drive at night. Reason why I'm asking is simply because I think the headlights are perfectly fine and adequate, but I've had the car for only 2.5 months and maybe I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

I find them sub-par compared to nearly every car I've owned in the last 15 years, from mid-2000s Audi and Volkswagen HIDs to more recent examples like the plain-jane halogens in our 2015 Toyota Highlander. They quite simply don't adequately illuminate the road and path in front of you.

To be fair I live in a dark, rural, mountainous area with no street lights and few other light sources, so my expectations and experience might be different than most in a more typical urban/suburban setting.

I find them sub-par compared to nearly every car I've owned in the last 15 years, from mid-2000s Audi and Volkswagen HIDs to more recent examples like the plain-jane halogens in our 2015 Toyota Highlander. They quite simply don't adequately illuminate the road and path in front of you.

To be fair I live in a dark, rural, mountainous area with no street lights and few other light sources, so my expectations and experience might be different than most in a more typical urban/suburban setting.

I live in the hills too.

The lights are pathetic.

Also no turning or self leveling either.

The cornering lights are a total joke - my cell phone flashlight is brighter than that!