Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS vs ICE acceleration QUANTITY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I had a talk with a Porsche 911 GT3 owner who was looking into buying a MS. He was concerned with the acceleration. Although this was "pre P85D" I told him that I believe I do have more OFTEN fun in my P85 than him in his GT3.

Today in my P85D, besides the the usual few full power runs, I almost always use about 50 % of power on each start at a traffic light (about 200 KW). As we know, in a MS this is easy with no drama and no screaming. It's always the same scenario, looking into the back mirror there is me alone and then the "rest of the crowd" some 400 yards behind. Now the interesting point is that "the rest of the crowd" often contains Porsches, BMW M5's, MB AMG 63 etc.

In my opinion this " I need the roaring V8 sound" is just BS. Its great once in a while or on a track, but I suspect that owners of such ICE cars are in fact quickly annoyed by that sound and all the other drama which comes with a strong ICE acceleration. And of course there is always the "waking up the cop" effect which we MS owners do not have.

Coming from 911's , M5 and MB 600, I have MUCH more fun in my MS and I believe I have even more fun than any Lamborghini/Ferrari driver. Especially with the P85D, which they can hardly beat at speeds where one does not get a ticket.

Our RWD 85 has plenty of power, enough that it doesn't feel "wanting". Had a loaner P85 and the entire family commented that it was wasted power, as we really couldn't see mashing the throttle in the city, and on the highway, wasn't any more sporty feeling than our 85. To each their own.

Funny thing though, the other night a MB AMG was driving like a fiend (passing people around curves, hammering throttle at every opportunity, etc) in front of us, and we closed up on him coming up to a light, and my kids said "dad, don't get close to him at the light", and I said "you don't want to beat him?" and the reply "no, of course we'd smoke him, but then we'd be near his smelly exhaust".

There ya go...

In my opinion this " I need the roaring V8 sound" is just BS.

Yes, I get that too from people with Porsches, BMW, MB, etc. I say "People missed the galloping of horses too when the ICE engine came out." That usually ends that part of the conversation.

The best part is, in fact, no sound. Like you, I am fast off the line after every stop (not P85D fast but fast enough). The nice thing is that no heads are turned, especially cop's heads. If people are looking at you, they see you go fast, but you don't draw attention to yourself. I really like that about the car. I used to say: "it's not speeding getting up to the speed limit" but there's another thread here where they can apparently ticket you for excessive acceleration or something like that. I'll take my chances!

joer,
I picked up a sports car to "park" my Fl State sales tax credit. I knew to sell my P+ the second I placed my PD order as the value of the +s would fall each and every day. My PD came in four months later and I simply could not let go of the ICE (for a lot of different reasons).

Fast forward to today and I routinely take the ICE at least one day a week. Sure, the racket can be annoying and the jerky shifting thing seems somehow obsolete but the shear violence of the acceleration over 50 mph is awe inspiring. It's also nice to have that 3000 lb carbon tubbed handling :)

I do not think I will ever go back to ICE for a daily driver but they are fun from time to time.

I consider myself a "car guy" - whatever that all means. I absolutely love my MS and I can't imagine going without it as a daily. HOWEVER, I do miss having a sports car. I miss something light, with great handling and the ability to turn off (or nearly so) the nanny controls. Dust hasn't yet settled on the MS purchase but a GT3 isn't too far off.

Making noise is for the weekend

Save it for a track car

I'd love a GT3 for a track car.

My plan for right now is to use my 70D as a daily driver, and then as a weekend car I'll always have some completely different vehicle. Right now my opposite car is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, but eventually I'll trade that in on a 2-door sports car, or maybe a Rally car.