Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most cars look better with some sort of flap, IMHO. I view flaps as part function, part looks. I am going to try the RPM flaps. Honestly, OEM look like they came off a semi trailer, no thanks..

I like my Semi! After seeing the damage that driving without them did to back door and the plastic rocker panel driving through snow prepared roads for just about 50 miles in SoCal? I'll put up with the look over not having a true function with the smaller ones. As soon as I can the PPF is going on also, though. I just went through some rain this morning and noticed the lack of streaking in this area. Most of what was there was just water coming from the top and being driven down, not coming up from the front tire.

• Funny
Reactions: chengka
For those of you who have the Tesla OEM mudflaps, have you had any issues with the mudflaps coming loose? Somewhere in the thread, one of the posters mentioned the OEM mudflaps scrapping going over speed bumps and on some driveways. The picture on shop.tesla shows plastic rivets being attached at only 2 points which it seems could pull out given enough speed bumps and time.

For those of you who have the Tesla OEM mudflaps, have you had any issues with the mudflaps coming loose? Somewhere in the thread, one of the posters mentioned the OEM mudflaps scrapping going over speed bumps and on some driveways. The picture on shop.tesla shows plastic rivets being attached at only 2 points which it seems could pull out given enough speed bumps and time.
I have the Long Range Mode Y. Tesla's spec is 6.6" of ground clearance. The clearance with the Tesla front mud flaps installed is 2-3/4" drivers side, 3-1/8" passenger side as measured by me. I drive over speed bumps every day, never heard the mud flaps scrape. The bottom third or half of the Tesla mud flap is flexible. Although the Tesla mud flaps are only held in place by two plastic grommets or clips; the clips are longer than the factory clips that hold the fender liner. It is possible that you could drive over a road hazard, dislodge the Tesla mud flap but the mud flap seems like it is on there to stay.

Reactions: 73Bruin
So i did the official oem mudflaps + amazon regular mudlaps for rear.

I have the early version of the MY so the rear has a screw instead of the pop-out things.
Unfortunately the weld one of of the sides broke and i couldn't get the screw out so i attempted to get rid of the screw somehow, gave up, and just put the flaps over the screw lol....

Seems to be holding up fine

2021-03-11.jpg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
So i did the official oem mudflaps + amazon regular mudlaps for rear.

I have the early version of the MY so the rear has a screw instead of the pop-out things.
Unfortunately the weld one of of the sides broke and i couldn't get the screw out so i attempted to get rid of the screw somehow, gave up, and just put the flaps over the screw lol....

Seems to be holding up fine

View attachment 643672
Exact same thing happened on both my rear. Mine is a Feb 2021 build SR.

After waiting for several months, and helplessly watching all the nicks and scratches accumulate on the lower part of my rear door (even with XPEL PPF on!), I broke down and bought a generic Amazon mudguard on the cheap ($20)

It may not suit everyone's taste, but it's not $130 (Canadian) nor do I have to drill holes into my fender like those from EV mudflaps.
It's a pliable rubbery material that I drilled holes into so I could align them up to use the OEM holes for the push-in fasteners (swapped out the push-in fasteners with slightly longer ones) and a strip of Gorilla double sided tape. Best part is when MY specific mudguards are manufactured you could easily remove these for them...

Here's what I purchased from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/LLJSTAT-Auto...+mud+flaps&qid=1609994767&s=automotive&sr=1-2

And some extra push-in retaining clips with tool to remove the fasteners.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FV5ZJL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no affiliation with sellers and this particular flap appears to be sold by many other sellers as well...
Hope this helps few of you save money and your paint until a more suitable replacement arrives.

Happy New Year!

View attachment 625180 View attachment 625181 View attachment 625185 View attachment 625189 View attachment 625186View attachment 625190
I like this idea! How are they holding up so far?

Were you able to get the screw out somehow?

I read an earlier comment that someone used a saw to cut off the screw but i'm not exactly 'handy' so would rather avoid the risk lol.
no I just left it. I tried to remove the wheel liner and saw the broken side, thought about it and said f-it I'm now wrecking everything to get the screw out. It's still functioning to hold the bottom cover on, it broke quick so it's not too loose. the mud flap seems ok, figure the front is only held on with 2 clips so back should be fine too :)

I was also going to buy one of the various DIY PPF pre-cut kits for the lower doors but the OEM PPF actually goes a bit above that lower door crease View attachment 643870
I am aware of this, I just hate how visible this supposedly invisible PPF is. It clearly shows in the picture. A detailer (Concours Auto Spa), who advertises on this site recommended against putting any PPF on the doors, said that if I wanted to do it, that it would be easier to hide at at the bottom crease. I was hoping those who have applied the Tesla OEM PPF could comment on how visible it was.

I am aware of this, I just hate how visible this supposedly invisible PPF is. It clearly shows in the picture. A detailer (Concours Auto Spa), who advertises on this site recommended against putting any PPF on the doors, said that if I wanted to do it, that it would be easier to hide at at the bottom crease. I was hoping those who have applied the Tesla OEM PPF could comment on how visible it was.

On the red, you have look for it to notice it.

Reactions: 73Bruin