Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed my rpm mudflaps. Has anyone noticed there is one hole next to the one with the screw that's missing a fastener? This is on both sides of the car.. I'm wondering if I should plug them up with the extra fasteners after the mudflap install or are these some kind of drainage holes? I tried to plug them with the old Tesla fasteners and they fit perfectly. I also had a missing fastener inside one of the front wheel wells which I also plugged with the extra fastener.
I had the two empty ones, I just left them (maybe they are speed holes LOL)

When installing the RPM flaps. The rear ones, did you have difficulty unscrewing the screw underneath? I cannot extract the screw. On the original RPM install video, the underneath hole had a fastener.
I have screws underneath on both sides.

I had difficulty unscrewing the screw on my right side and ultimately ended up breaking the nut on the other end resulting in a dangling screw that won't come out.
Ultimately had to use a hack-saw to remove the screw.

After installing amazon mudflaps, I used one of the provided clips to fill out the hole.

Curious if the RPM mud flaps gather mud/water. Looks like by the design there's no drainage at the bottom of them. Can anyone tell yet?
Heres the front RPM one for reference if it helps...

Attachments

• 053DD577-700F-47DE-ADBB-B34992EF039C.jpeg
    053DD577-700F-47DE-ADBB-B34992EF039C.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: techmagnetic
I had difficulty unscrewing the screw on my right side and ultimately ended up breaking the nut on the other end resulting in a dangling screw that won't come out.
Ultimately had to use a hack-saw to remove the screw.

After installing amazon mudflaps, I used one of the provided clips to fill out the hole.
Thank You. How did you remove the nut on the inside, which likely failed with a spot weld? Did you leave it in?

I just installed my rpm mudflaps. Has anyone noticed there is one hole next to the one with the screw that's missing a fastener? This is on both sides of the car.. I'm wondering if I should plug them up with the extra fasteners after the mudflap install or are these some kind of drainage holes? I tried to plug them with the old Tesla fasteners and they fit perfectly. I also had a missing fastener inside one of the front wheel wells which I also plugged with the extra fastener.
I just installed the RPM mudflaps today. I didn't notice any missing fastener in the back. What I found was both the fasteners on the front right were missing so the mudflap fasteners were perfect for the missing ones.

I ended up going with the Tesla mud flaps for the front. That was all I was planning to do, but after reading up on this forum, I was convinced to get the film protection from Tesla, and RPM Tesla hooked it up and let me purchase just the rear mud flaps for 50% off the normal price for 4. I went there to pick up USB-C lights for my 3rd row, and they happened to have an open box of mud flaps and were able to hook it up for me. Very pleased.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thank You. How did you remove the nut on the inside, which likely failed with a spot weld? Did you leave it in?
Just installed these (3/30). Used the video tip where you unscrew the bolt a little, use WD40 or similar, screw it back in, give it a minute, screw out, a little further this time, repeat WD-40, screw in/out etc. until the whole thing comes out fairly easily. I was able to properly fasten things again so that makes me believe the nut part did not come undone. For all I know, though, it is now hanging by a thread so will have to inspect in a few days and few weeks.

One thing I found, in particular in the front, is that the "clip" where the flaps hold on to the wheel well trim is not very deep/tight, and easily dislodged by hand. Wonder if that will hold. Time will tell. (Grommets etc are properly aligned and I am confident the installation was proper).

Just installed these (3/30). Used the video tip where you unscrew the bolt a little, use WD40 or similar, screw it back in, give it a minute, screw out, a little further this time, repeat WD-40, screw in/out etc. until the whole thing comes out fairly easily. I was able to properly fasten things again so that makes me believe the nut part did not come undone. For all I know, though, it is now hanging by a thread so will have to inspect in a few days and few weeks.

One thing I found, in particular in the front, is that the "clip" where the flaps hold on to the wheel well trim is not very deep/tight, and easily dislodged by hand. Wonder if that will hold. Time will tell. (Grommets etc are properly aligned and I am confident the installation was proper).
Your comment on the front flaps is the very reason I took them back to RPM and gave them that feedback directly. I have the OEM ones on now which have front clips that are probably 3-4x longer and are VERY secure.

Your comment on the front flaps is the very reason I took them back to RPM and gave them that feedback directly. I have the OEM ones on now which have front clips that are probably 3-4x longer and are VERY secure.
Just do we're sure we're talking about the same thing. I am talking about the clip/fit thing on the vertical part of the flaps, not the grommets. Since I have them and they are on, we'll just wait and see.

Correct...see pic after my first 10 min freeway drive which prompted my return. In this case the clip has disengaged from the fender trim bc it is very short. I removed and reinstalled several times to make sure I had it on there right and in each case it was very easy to pop this clip as such...

08019FAC-44C8-4B66-A4FE-2CFD000E5627.jpeg

Mine should be arriving today too. Had the OEM fronts and wanted something for all corners. Hopefully these checks off all my boxes.
Turns out Tesmanian is somewhat local to me. I went and picked up the mud flaps and got them installed.

Here is what comes in the box. 4 flaps + mounting push pins. I also got the matte black rear spoiler from Tesmanian. The quality of the spoiler is not very good, there are visible ridges on the spoiler and several paint imperfections. I'm going to return it and get the carbon fiber one in hopes the quality is better.

I only have about 70 miles on the MY, you can already see splashes up near the bottom of the front doors. I can only imagine what the paint would look like after a few thousand miles.

The front mud flaps installed. The install is pretty straight forward. The two mounting pins on the bottom hold the bottom portion of the mud flaps secure, however, there is no mounting hole near the top of the leading edge of the mud flap.

Because there is no mounting hole near the top of the outer leading edge of the mud flap, it doesn't mount as secure to the moulding leaving a gap.

The actual quality of the ABS plastic molding is mediocre, I trimmed some of the molding imperfections on the mud flaps with a razor blade.

Overall, the mud flaps look decent, but I question if they're valued at $50.

Just so I understand for the MY is the general consensus against RPM (because of the install and quality issues) and if so if I want front/rear mud flaps what should I be considering?

@1plavs good question. Maybe the EV Mudflaps set? If you're watching their installation video on their site, make sure to turn on captions on YouTube since the gentleman speaks in French, but the captions are in English. I was really looking for a no-drill approach, but after watching the installation video, it doesn't look that bad in fact. Food for thought maybe.