Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[multiple reports of ] Park assist unavailable [on 2021 model 3s?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread moved from UK and Ireland sub forum as this looks to be a global problem

Hi all

seem to be seeing this a lot when in drive or reverse. Noticed I also do not have then chimes when reversing. Have also seen auto steer unavailable when I just go into drive (not sure if normal), I’ve had the car since Thursday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed I also do not have then chimes when reversing.

upload_2020-8-24_9-8-40.png

Have also seen auto steer unavailable when I just go into drive (not sure if normal), I’ve had the car since Thursday!

Are the cameras fully calibrated yet? It should happen quite quickly but Tesla say allow up to 100 miles. Whilst camera calibration is in progress, the autosteer icon (steering wheel on the left) on the driver display will have an incomplete blue outline whilst driving. You may also notice that you may not have visualisation of other vehicles around you.

Also, it may be new user error. When going into drive, you may be flicking the right stalk down further/more times than it should, hence triggering TACC or auto steer. To go into drive, you only need to gently tap the right stalk down once to the first 'notch'. I'm using the term 'notch' here in a vague way as its an instinctive movement and I'm not actually sure if there is more than one notch, its just tap the stick down!

Last edited:
That's a hardware issue.

I had the same issue with "park assist unavailable" and no parking sensors just as you describe. I ended up taking it in to service and they had to replace a sensor harness that had worn inside the bumper.

That's a hardware issue.

I had the same issue with "park assist unavailable" and no parking sensors just as you describe. I ended up taking it in to service and they had to replace a sensor harness that had worn inside the bumper.

guessing that could be the case. Sad that the car is literally 5 days old though ! Booked into Tesla and had a text to,ask when and what time it happens. I just went back all the time.

View attachment 580019

Are the cameras fully calibrated yet? It should happen quite quickly but Tesla say allow up to 100 miles. Whilst camera calibration is in progress, the autosteer icon (steering wheel on the left) on the driver display will have an incomplete blue outline whilst driving. You may also notice that you may not have visualisation of other vehicles around you.

Also, it may be new user error. When going into drive, you may be flicking the right stalk down further/more times than it should, hence triggering TACC or auto steer. To go into drive, you only need to gently tap the right stalk down once to the first 'notch'. I'm using the term 'notch' here in a vague way as its an instinctive movement and I'm not actually sure if there is more than one notch, its just tap the stick down!

I’ll check the above but I’ve done 350 miles now. I’m certain I’m pressing down once, so think it’s linked to the park assist issue

Where do you get those numbers from? (50% of drivers)

The post said drives not drivers. So half the time they get it.

There do seem an awful lot of component failures on the 2021 models. Cameras, parking sensors, heat pump pressure sensors. Maybe this is a consequence of Elon asking everyone to save a few cents on every single part.

The post said drives not drivers. So half the time they get it.

There do seem an awful lot of component failures on the 2021 models. Cameras, parking sensors, heat pump pressure sensors. Maybe this is a consequence of Elon asking everyone to save a few cents on every single part.
Thanks - my bad. Mine gives "Parking Assist not available" all the time - so probably component failure then. That is very disappointing..

Thanks - my bad. Mine gives "Parking Assist not available" all the time - so probably component failure then. That is very disappointing..

Always report it via the app. It'll get fixed.

Within 800 miles of ownership, I had paint issue fixed, 4 new taillights, two fender cameras and they remotely fixed the charge port not opening. Next will be the heat pump pressure sensors for me as there is a service campaign to fix (mine have not yet failed).

It seems to be part of the early owning experience. However, I've always had a nice service experience.