Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music Streaming (Slacker) on Standard Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I don’t know if it really works though cause I still have premium connectivity for a while

Will see how that goes for me, likely will pay for it monthly (no annual plans in Canada)

What the screen doesn’t show is sentry mode live view that should only exist with premium unless you can actually view with hotspot…anyone test that out?

So wifi hot spot works well for all services except live traffic view and satellite which I don’t care.

Sentry live doesn’t work anymore even on hotspot which I am on the fence but I rarely use it when parked

Annoying to wait a minute or so for hot spot to work so might subscribe if I can’t stand it after a while

The service center is likely going to refer to the stated information above, and tell the OP that streaming music requires premium connectivity. That doesnt contradict what you posted from the tesla site, which says "video streaming, internet browser, caraoke" (but nothing about music streaming).
My understanding is that streaming anything (Apple Music, TuneIn, Netflix, Disney+ …) and surfing the web .. basically anything beyond navigation that requires internet.. can be done over wifi/hotspot if you have standard connection.
Of course for Apple Music, Netflix etc you’ll need the premium account (€9,99/month or whatever). Once you’ve it, you should be able to stream over wifi without any issues.
However my real life experience has been pretty mixed. I’ve used them over wifi/mobile hotspot but at the moment of writing this, it doesn’t work.
I have been exchanging with Tesla about it and they tried to do something over the air but it hasn’t really worked. Have a mobile repair scheduled later in the month.

My understanding is that streaming anything (Apple Music, TuneIn, Netflix, Disney+ …) and surfing the web .. basically anything beyond navigation that requires internet.. can be done over wifi/hotspot if you have standard connection.

That understanding is incorrect for the USA. No idea if it is correct in France, which is what you have your location set as.

A few updates ago, the Streaming app now says “Premium Connectivity required” if I try to hit “Use Vehicle Account” even when on wifi.

I don’t have a slacker account to test out if it works with using your own account vs the Tesla account. Things like Netflix etc still work on wifi so I assume other services using your own account will still work on wifi.

That understanding is incorrect for the USA. No idea if it is correct in France, which is what you have your location set as.
I’d be surprised why Tesla guys who’re remotely trying to troubleshoot my issue won’t tell me that my understanding is incorrect.
And I’d be doubly surprised if Tesla’s software worked differently based on your location. France or US.

This is what I see now in the Tesla app for my 2023 model 3. I'm in California. It still says music streaming is allowed on WiFi so it seems like Tesla hasn't updated the info everywhere to be consistent.

Screenshot_20230131-112539.png

I paid for premium connectivity, but I cannot login in to the streaming music (Slacker Radio?) I am using the same login credentials as my Tesla app, but nothing happens when I try to login on the Tesla (see screen shot from E90alex). My user account is active, but nothing happens when i hit the sign in button.

When did you start the subscription? Maybe it takes a little while for the servers to properly provision your vehicle.

Have you tried the two button reboot?

If that still doesn’t work I would try to submit a service ticket and maybe they can reset it remotely.

No, music streaming is no longer included in Standard Connectivity even with WiFi. What you posted says video streaming, Caraoke, and the browser will work over WiFi, but not music streaming. See also the Connectivity Packages table posted earlier.
That’s not true.
If you’ve an Apple Music/Spotify (not the free ad-based version)/Tidal account, and I am not talking about the account that came with your Tesla’s premium connection, you should be able to connect to your account and use those streaming services via mobile hotspot/wifi.
That said, I know that there’s an issue going on which prevents use of the entire infotainment over mobile hotspot. I have this issue since the day I got the car (Nov 2022) and have been in touch with (a very incompetent) customer care. They keep telling me that :
1. This is a known issue
2. Engineers are working on it and a fix will be released in a future update (future meaning could be the next update or could be an update in 2 years.

If anyone here has this similar issue and is on Twitter, I really think that tagging Musk to a post explaining the problem might be the only way to hope to get a fix for this.

Reactions: KayZee
Here is what the manual says:

1682452039824.png

There used to be something in the manual about how long the Tesla provided Slacker account was good for. But that seems to be removed. (I assume it is part of the Premium Connectivity subscription now.)

That’s not true.
If you’ve an Apple Music/Spotify (not the free ad-based version)/Tidal account, and I am not talking about the account that came with your Tesla’s premium connection, you should be able to connect to your account and use those streaming services via mobile hotspot/wifi.
That said, I know that there’s an issue going on which prevents use of the entire infotainment over mobile hotspot. I have this issue since the day I got the car (Nov 2022) and have been in touch with (a very incompetent) customer care. They keep telling me that :
1. This is a known issue
2. Engineers are working on it and a fix will be released in a future update (future meaning could be the next update or could be an update in 2 years.

If anyone here has this similar issue and is on Twitter, I really think that tagging Musk to a post explaining the problem might be the only way to hope to get a fix for this.
You're right, I misread the table. Streaming music should work via WiFi with Standard Connectivity. The hotspot should work too, and I don't know if the problem you're having is limited or impacts everyone. I have Premium so I don't use a hotspot.

You're right, I misread the table. Streaming music should work via WiFi with Standard Connectivity. The hotspot should work too, and I don't know if the problem you're having is limited or impacts everyone. I have Premium so I don't use a hotspot.
Don’t know if it impacts everyone but definitely impacts a handful.
And so far the only the only thing that Tesla has done is factory reset my car 2x. Obviously it hasn’t fixed anything.
I literally just joined twitter to bring this to Musk’s attention. If you wanna and others wanna help please like/retweet. Thanks !

Similar problems. I purchased 2 Tesla's on my Tesla account. I don't have Premium Tesla subscription for either car.

1. Using my Tesla account has Streaming Audio over Wi-Fi on both my 2018 M3 and my wife's 2022 MY.
2. Using my wife's Tesla Driver account has NO Streaming Audio over Wi-Fi on both my 2018 M3 and her 2022 MY.

So wife's Driver Tesla Account doesn't get Streaming Audio on either car with her account. My Tesla account gets Streaming Audio on both cars with my Tesla account.

Reactions: DRS247