Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk’s burnout...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much like the choice I made to invest in a young company, I choose to watch objectively and chalk this one up to Elon being irritated.
Ideally he could have at least kept the peace with his team mates by not cutting them off. He was mistaken there.
We are watching Tesla very closely. Who listens to quarterly investor calls of other auto makers? Are they even open to the public to hear?
Making sausage isn’t fun to watch...
Exactly. Nobody puts any other car company under the microscope the way they do with Tesla. You would even be hard press for any other publicly traded company to have the constant scrutiny that Tesla sees.

Reactions: gavine
Exactly. Nobody puts any other car company under the microscope the way they do with Tesla. You would even be hard press for any other publicly traded company to have the constant scrutiny that Tesla sees.
i dont know of any car companies that makes the same outrageous claims that Tesla does. He is asking for the attention.

I'm guessing Elon was tired and sure he doesn't enjoy doing these CC anyway. I've found him to be more than willing to answer questions if he thinks he can provide an answer. Let's not forget his management style is don't have meetings that go no where and if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute when in one, take leave. That said...

With Tony as I see it I think he started off in a thinly veiled attack or questioning of Elon by saying that Elon said something last quarter about reaching the 25% gross margins and then he really called him out on moving the dates from that with this Quarterly report. Tony went on to say he didn't think it could be because of currency fluctuations since that hasn't changed. So what was it? I saw his approach to asking a question as more combative I guess and I think this started to irritate Elon. In fact Deepak jumped right in to answer. Then Elon made a statement relative to that and finished with something like "let's not make a federal case out of it". When Tony came back with his second question on reductions in capex, again Deepak answered. Tony came back with asking specifically where Tesla would be in terms of capital requirements. I think at that point Elon had previously expressed quite strongly that he didn't see any need or want to raise capital (from previous Adam Jonas questioning) so already asked and answered, which is when he cut Tony off with "Next, boring bonehead questions aren't cool."

Right after that Joseph Spak came up with the question of what percentage of Model 3 invites have taken the step to configure. I'm sorry but I thought that was a meaningless, irrelevant question really if you thought about it. If you read the ER you know how many cars have been produced and sold at that point. Others who have been invited may have deferred for AWD/Standard or time delayed. They said they had over 450,000 reservations still outstanding. Anyone who deferred on invite either was looking for a more expensive model trim or a basic one and don't see how percentage of invites-to-configured tells anything. They can only make so many cars right now and they are all getting shipped out. Anyway after that question, it was time for a long YouTube break which seemed to have given Elon and the other analysts some needed time apart.

yes.
The latest example:
Tesla Model Y Coming In Early 2020 As A “Manufacturing Revolution”

or how about

Elon Musk: Tesla's factory will be an 'alien dreadnought' by 2018

or how about when we will get full self driving? or auto pilot 2 parity in "a few months" These are what I mean.

Again, yawn... I'd rather he promise big and come up short than stop trying...

Jeff

Reactions: Krugerrand
He should have kept his temper.... If he is right (and I hope he is), a simple "I told you so" thrown in Q3 will suffice, and can be easily swallowed. Why alienate anyone? I suspect being tired did not help. At least, the slide stopped at 280 - or at least I hope so

I think he was a little tired and irritated.

i gotta say the invite conversion question was bonehead. Clearly demand is not the problem and will not be. Who cares what percentage of people buy the first model. Makes zero difference.

Model 3 is a clear winner, just have to build and deliver them, nothing more, nothing less.

I would wager you could send a transport to the middle of nowhere with no advance notice and sell them all as fast as you could unload them.

Demand is clear. Next question, bonehead! LOL

Who listens to quarterly investor calls of other auto makers? Are they even open to the public to hear?
Yes, anyone can listen to earnings calls for almost any public company by clicking the link (see #31 for Tesla's link) and putting in your name and email. I listened to yesterday's call live because I've considered buying $40k of TSLA stock with the cash I have from my recent sale of my Model S. I hadn't pulled the trigger (buying TSLA stock) yet because non-profitable companies do go bankrupt when the cash runs out, or when top executives have a mass exodus...and Tesla is experiencing both of these negative warning signs. After yesterday's earnings call, I've decided NOT to buy TSLA (for now) because as a potential investor I didn't like what I heard. The last time I heard a top executive act as Elon did on an earnings call was 1999; Jeff Skilling was Enron's CEO who berated analysts for asking about "the numbers" that didn't make sense. Months later, Enron filed bankruptcy, I lost $26k in my 401k when the stock went to $0, and thankfully Skilling went to prison.

I love Tesla and their products, but I worry about their shrinking cash and very large debt (and now a poorer chance of raising new equity). I also don't like it when Elon berates his CFO on the call; said CFO makes $15M per year and likely can afford to quit (for the 2nd time in as many years). Their Treasurer and other key executives have also recently left. Not everyone enjoys working in production hell, which is all the more reason that Elon needs to take care of himself and his employees at ALL levels... So they can deliver the awesome products we all enjoy and want more of :)

I also am a day 1 Model 3 reservation holder who passed on my January configuration invitation because my friend's Model 3 arrived damaged (and took two weeks to repair). So I am waiting for Quality Control to improve (which went south because of over-automation). As Elon correctly stated, he under-rated humans (who do the best job in final assembly and finishing of a vehicle, and correcting defects like dents and paint chips/scratches that weren't corrected in my friend's 3. I also placed a day 1 deposit on PW2, and have waited a year and a half for my white PW2, as well as my red Founders Series PW2 (that were promised to me by Tesla Energy more than a year ago). I wanted to buy a Tesla solar roof, too, but chose not to wait forever and instead put in my own 16.1kW ACPV ground mount system that powers 100% of my home and 3 EVs. Others like me will eventually shop elsewhere if Tesla keeps overpromising and not delivering. So no need to throw hate my way for being tough on Elon for not being more CEO-like; I simply want him to improve and succeed long-term. If he finds a numbers question boring, politely pass it off to the CFO. Just my two cents from someone who has seller's remorse for getting rid of my beloved 2012 MS85 (best car I've ever owned)!

yes.
The latest example:
Tesla Model Y Coming In Early 2020 As A “Manufacturing Revolution”

or how about

Elon Musk: Tesla's factory will be an 'alien dreadnought' by 2018

or how about when we will get full self driving? or auto pilot 2 parity in "a few months" These are what I mean.
Virtually everthing that Musk promises gets done (eventually).

Yes, anyone can listen to earnings calls for almost any public company by clicking the link (see #31 for Tesla's link) and putting in your name and email. I listened to yesterday's call live because I've considered buying $40k of TSLA stock with the cash I have from my recent sale of my Model S. I hadn't pulled the trigger (buying TSLA stock) yet because non-profitable companies do go bankrupt when the cash runs out, or when top executives have a mass exodus...and Tesla is experiencing both of these negative warning signs. After yesterday's earnings call, I've decided NOT to buy TSLA (for now) because as a potential investor I didn't like what I heard. The last time I heard a top executive act as Elon did on an earnings call was 1999; Jeff Skilling was Enron's CEO who berated analysts for asking about "the numbers" that didn't make sense. Months later, Enron filed bankruptcy, I lost $26k in my 401k when the stock went to $0, and thankfully Skilling went to prison.

I love Tesla and their products, but I worry about their shrinking cash and very large debt (and now a poorer chance of raising new equity). I also don't like it when Elon berates his CFO on the call; said CFO makes $15M per year and likely can afford to quit (for the 2nd time in as many years). Their Treasurer and other key executives have also recently left. Not everyone enjoys working in production hell, which is all the more reason that Elon needs to take care of himself and his employees at ALL levels... So they can deliver the awesome products we all enjoy and want more of :)

I also am a day 1 Model 3 reservation holder who passed on my January configuration invitation because my friend's Model 3 arrived damaged (and took two weeks to repair). So I am waiting for Quality Control to improve (which went south because of over-automation). As Elon correctly stated, he under-rated humans (who do the best job in final assembly and finishing of a vehicle, and correcting defects like dents and paint chips/scratches that weren't corrected in my friend's 3. I also placed a day 1 deposit on PW2, and have waited a year and a half for my white PW2, as well as my red Founders Series PW2 (that were promised to me by Tesla Energy more than a year ago). I wanted to buy a Tesla solar roof, too, but chose not to wait forever and instead put in my own 16.1kW ACPV ground mount system that powers 100% of my home and 3 EVs. Others like me will eventually shop elsewhere if Tesla keeps overpromising and not delivering. So no need to throw hate my way for being tough on Elon for not being more CEO-like; I simply want him to improve and succeed long-term. If he finds a numbers question boring, politely pass it off to the CFO. Just my two cents from someone who has seller's remorse for getting rid of my beloved 2012 MS85 (best car I've ever owned)!
If you are judging the worth of Tesla based off of the last two weeks of fluff that has occurred, you should probably stick to an index fund for your investments.

Reactions: dhanson865
You're probably right, but I think it was the wrong move. It's pretty clear that the stock market is driven partly by emotion, and the analysts are used to people sucking up to them. So now they're throwing a tantrum and driving the stock down.

If you disagree, please post your opinion, don't just click disagree and move on. Would love to hear other takes on it.

I rated it funny, but its partially informative. If you like I'll break it down

"You're probably right" - Like
"I think it was the wrong move" - no rating, slight disagree tone :)
"It's pretty clear that the stock market is driven partly by emotion, and the analysts are used to people sucking up to them." - Informative
"So now they're throwing a tantrum and driving the stock down." - Funny and Informative.