Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk promises better Summon coming "next year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're gonna have to get in line... Summon was supposed to "snake" around your property to find you and go park itself during the dual motor / autopilot 1 keynote. Still waiting for that...

I think that maybe the AP1 promises went out the window when Tesla broke up with MobilEye? Like maybe they can't do it now because they don't have access to proprietary MobilEye stuff? Just my opinion.

Reactions: 1375mlm and Bebop
^^ Exactly.

If my mechanic said my truck would be ready "By 3pm", I would expect that 1 second after 2:59:59pm, I could pick it up.

In this sense, "By next year" would read the day after 31 December, 2018.

Not holding my breath... but incredulously hopeful o_O

While I'd love for that to be the case, I think there is a distinct difference in connotation between by any specific hour, and by any specific day/month/year.

If your mechanic said your truck would be ready "by tomorrow", would you expect it to be available 1 second after 23:59:59 today? Similarly, if you said you'd have an assignment done for me "by next week", would I assume to have something in my hands 1 second after Sunday night 23:59:59, or even Monday morning 8:59:59?

To me, "by next week" means you estimate roughly some time next week, might be in the beginning, might be in the end. Otherwise, you'd just tell me you'd have it done "by end of this week". In corporate settings, I've almost always heard the "end of" qualifier attached after a "by" deadline, otherwise deadlines are unclear.

I find the second tweet very hard to believe for the general use case. My phone's GPS is not that precise - it is often at least a couple metres off in any direction. What is it going to follow?
exactly, even uber drivers have a hard time locating their pickup. this tech is not reliable ~yet.

I think that maybe the AP1 promises went out the window when Tesla broke up with MobilEye? Like maybe they can't do it now because they don't have access to proprietary MobilEye stuff? Just my opinion.
whatever the reason, AP1 is done for in terms of progress. it'll only be fed data updates.

While I'd love for that to be the case, I think there is a distinct difference in connotation between by any specific hour, and by any specific day/month/year.

If your mechanic said your truck would be ready "by tomorrow", would you expect it to be available 1 second after 23:59:59 today? Similarly, if you said you'd have an assignment done for me "by next week", would I assume to have something in my hands 1 second after Sunday night 23:59:59, or even Monday morning 8:59:59?

We both have good points. The most important point being: We are WAYYYY overthinking this! :rolleyes:

It will simply be a cool feature if/when it materializes! If we expected things to be delivered on Elon's timelines... we'd all go stark raving mad! :p

If my mechanic said my truck would be ready "By 3pm", I would expect that 1 second after 2:59:59pm, I could pick it up.

In this sense, "By next year" would read the day after 31 December, 2018.

You are confusing a single point in time ("By 3pm") versus a unit of time measurement relative to a given point in time ("By next year"). These are not the same concept, which leads to equivocation of the interpretation.

Re-consider what the distinction is between "by today" and "by tomorrow" and perhaps that will help clarify the concept.

Reactions: croman
exactly, even uber drivers have a hard time locating their pickup. this tech is not reliable ~yet.

They probaly will do something similar to what the uber app does, it allows you to adjust your pickup point, basically dropping a pin on a map.

Who cares about summons, give us more range and better AP!.....

I care about Summon if it works the way they are describing. Would be great to Drop my Wife & Myself off at the Door and have the Car go park itself in Rain or Freezing Cold Day.

I find the second tweet very hard to believe for the general use case. My phone's GPS is not that precise - it is often at least a couple metres off in any direction. What is it going to follow?

Not to worry since the new smart summon will include sign reading just keep this sign with you. Problem solved:)
sign park here2.PNG

• Funny
Reactions: BinaryField
I have no doubt in the next year they will release some new trick for summon, but anything Elon says has to be translated to reality. First, Elon time is not Earth time, by end of day means by end of next week. 3 months maybe, 6 months for sure means 3 years to never. Second, Elon features sound so much more when he says it than when he delivers it. He promised pretty much the same summon feature at the AP1 & dual motor launch. The exact words were "will find you anywhere on private property". We all know how that turned out. Draw your own conclusions.

Yeah, that's my read too. But I think it's on Tesla to find a way to make it right. The silent walking back of promises is the only bad taste I have in my mouth as an early AP1 buyer.

It’s not the broken AP1 promises that worry me, it’s that it was so casually forgotten about that I’m afraid the same will happen to AP2. The dash cam might just be the beginning of fragmented hardware features based on what month you bought your vehicle.

You are confusing a single point in time ("By 3pm") versus a unit of time measurement relative to a given point in time ("By next year"). These are not the same concept, which leads to equivocation of the interpretation.

Re-consider what the distinction is between "by today" and "by tomorrow" and perhaps that will help clarify the concept.

The horse is officially dead.

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy