Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says ‘Major Navigation Overhaul’ Coming in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018.

Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.”

Pressed for more information, he said, “Major navigation overhaul coming in early 2018. Will be light-years ahead of current system, but we are testing it rigorously before rolling out.”

Some updates in Tesla’s software code have hinted at an update to the maps system. TMC member and Tesla hacker verygreen discovered several interesting developments in Tesla’s software related to maps. For instance, code included in the 2017.44 software update enabled “vector maps.” He noted, “The looks are mostly the same, but it allows you to zoom quite a bit more and friends that tried it in-motion report much smoother operation + higher detailed maps on the big screen.”

What would you like to see in a maps update?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Swift
Has anyone suggested including in the Tesla Navigation system the ability to SEND a route from your phone to the car?

We do this with aircraft all the time. I flight plan at home using a web based flight planning tool like Foreflight or FlyQ EFB, I determine my best route, and then send it to my GPS navigation system via Bluetooth.

My navigator then imports and I confirm the route. The beauty of this feature is one can then override the car's navigation route by also planning in Google Maps or Waze on your phone...confirming its worse or better, and allowing one to choose.

Howard

Has anyone suggested including in the Tesla Navigation system the ability to SEND a route from your phone to the car?

We do this with aircraft all the time. I flight plan at home using a web based flight planning tool like Foreflight or FlyQ EFB, I determine my best route, and then send it to my GPS navigation system via Bluetooth.

My navigator then imports and I confirm the route. The beauty of this feature is one can then override the car's navigation route by also planning in Google Maps or Waze on your phone...confirming its worse or better, and allowing one to choose.

Howard
Make a calendar event on your Phone and include the address. In yer car you'll click on that event and navigation happens to there.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
While you're at it, please get back to simplifying our interaction with the screen and the silly need to multiply-tap it.
After a 3000 mile trip, I couldn't agree more. I thought maybe I would get used to it, but I grew to dislike it more with every tap. It's a ridiculous idea that never should have made it past user acceptance testing.

Make a calendar event on your Phone and include the address. In yer car you'll click on that event and navigation happens to there.

That's a good tip for just passing in the end address. Thx for sharing that!

But my suggestion is to be able to supply the entire waypoint by waypoint route...NOT just the end address. Assuming another tool like the latest Google Maps has a better route...that entire turn by turn route would be SENT to the car....because one had determined that it's route was better than the Tesla Car determined route.

How about integrating Waze into the Tesla navigation system... Or at the very least give Tesla owners such an option. It shouldn't be that big a deal since it's just an app (just like the current navigation system) and has already been integrated in other regions of the world.

I do not understand why they haven't done this since they use google maps, and google owns Waze?

Reactions: Cheesy23
First trip using the Nav features on the car.
I get to Indianapolis and Waze on my phone shows an accident on 465 S to airport.. Rd is all red but Google says it is still the fastest way.

The in car Nav wants me to get off and right back on a clover leaf??
Then as we approach airport it rt's me around 2 interchanges to get on a frontage rd to the airport.

Really strange so when I park I check settings and nothing I can see would make it send me the looooong way as it tried to.

Here is to hoping for a better implementation of what should be a stand out feature.

I'll bite... So, what's wrong with the Navigation system?

One issue that is a pain is that multiple times a month, my Nav system will tell me to turn right when the Nav map shows a left turn.

In June, I was on a 4,300 mile trip. The Nav map was zoomed in so I could not see all of Cincinnati. I was on interstate 71 going North and the Nav system should have told me to stay on 71 to reach the Supercharger near Cincinnati. Instead it told me to take Interstate 75 North.

I did not know that I was screwed until I read a road sign that said "Welcome to Indiana". At no time did the Nav system tell me to turn around. At that point I was so far West of Cincinnati that I continued on the loop all around Cincinnati and this added at least an additional 40 miles to my trip. Fortunately I had enough battery to reach the Supercharger.

On the same trip, the Nav system would tell me to get off of the interstate and travel about 30 miles on a 2 lane highway with lots of small towns and stop lights. I have my Nav system set to reroute me if it can save me 10 minutes. There was some construction but there was no slow down. I got off the interstate, and then said that this is stupid, did a U-turn and got back on the interstate. There never was a slow down and I would have wasted 15-20 minutes driving at 55 mph or lower through small towns.

Waypoints would be nice, but Elon promised "full self driving" by 12/31/17. I haven't heard any more about it; however, does anyone know when that release is planned?

The delay on full autonomy isn’t just software related. It’s also legislation dependent and the US Congress hasn’t passed the proper laws to allow this nor have the individual states. That’s what we’re waiting on.