Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Cybertruck Doors Will Open Automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said Thursday that the production version of the Cybertruck will not include door handles.

The concept vehicle that debuted in November 2019 was built with door handles, however Musk says the doors on the production version will open automatically.

Musk previously said there would be slight revisions to the truck before production. There was speculation that Tesla might slightly shrink the overall proportions, but it seems the truck will be as hulking as the prototype. Musk recently said the vehicle will be “almost exactly” the same as the prototype.

Tesla is currently working to finish the construction of a new factory near Austin, Texas that will be the home of Cybertruck production. The first deliveries of the Cybertruck are expected to start later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting concept.

Answers one HUGE question I had bc I love my auto open doors on my model x so much, but really want the truck.

Raises more questions Which I’m sure they have a solution for.
How do you open the other doors besides being inside the truck. So like if I wanna approach the truck to get into the passenger side door to get my vaccination passport or something. How do I open THAT door.

Maybe it will sense where I’m approaching from and will open the door instead of the driver side door, but then what if I wanna get into the back doors. I’m sure there will be a way, and it is a relatively rare phenomenon. Just curious.

Interesting concept.

Answers one HUGE question I had bc I love my auto open doors on my model x so much, but really want the truck.

Raises more questions Which I’m sure they have a solution for.
How do you open the other doors besides being inside the truck. So like if I wanna approach the truck to get into the passenger side door to get my vaccination passport or something. How do I open THAT door.

Maybe it will sense where I’m approaching from and will open the door instead of the driver side door, but then what if I wanna get into the back doors. I’m sure there will be a way, and it is a relatively rare phenomenon. Just curious.
It's not new tech. For years, even minivan sliding doors (both sides) were already open-able via their fobs, as are falcon wing doors.

Reactions: X-pilot
How do those self presenting doors handle ice buildup? All else fails you can heat the car from your phone until it melts the ice.
Tesla has solved the ice buildup issue. Was happening with the model 3s I believe, the handles and charger door. I think they started warming those areas up.

My model x never had an issue, but I always warm up the car. Even with heavy snow and ice, I warm it up for awhile and it's almost always mostly melted by the time I get in.

I'm sorry but that is just one ugly truck!
This thread is definitely not about that. But you do have to admit the specs are revolutionary.

And while yes tesla did not deliver on those specs yet they CAN be trusted as they have successfully brought multiple cars to market with their stated specs. Vs all the other ev tries, and new ones supposedly coming to market. Haven't proven capability yet.

Subjective issues of looks will be there with every car. But no one ever looks to appease everyone.

Honestly I wasn't crazy about my model x looks initially, but the specs sold me. And I have Allen in love with its looks now.

The jag I smoked a few days ago definitely didn't see it coming. Love that.

Reactions: Darmie
1626712902420.png

• Funny
Reactions: hill and Maryland
My only question is how does this pass the common sense rule about safety?
I mean all the current cars have the motorized handles which is already a safety issue in a bad accident and first responders need to break glass and open from the inside to get people out. If the cybertruck has actual strong glass then how TF will people be rescued in an accident if there is no handle to pull on to open the door?

So basically waste time ****ing around prying the door open because some dumbass thought it would be cool to remove the handle... Yeah that makes sense 🤦‍♂️
I was going to make another enormous leap and point out that if this is the “backup plan” then any accident that sets off the airbags (which automagically cuts 12V power also - at least in other Tesla’s) will mean major damage to the doors, pushing even closer to totaling the vehicle…

My only question is how does this pass the common sense rule about safety?
I mean all the current cars have the motorized handles which is already a safety issue in a bad accident and first responders need to break glass and open from the inside to get people out. If the cybertruck has actual strong glass then how TF will people be rescued in an accident if there is no handle to pull on to open the door?
One of the reasons I drive with a hatchet in my front door pockets...

But all jokes aside, you make a good point, especially with near bulletproof glass.