Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Semi Will Best Specs Announced at Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The specs Tesla announced for its upcoming Semi outpaced the industry standard to such a degree that it raised eyebrows. Daimler AG’s head of trucks has even gone so far as to question the legitimacy of Tesla’s claims.

“If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks – one to take apart and one to test because if that happens, something has passed us by,” Martin Daum said at an industry event this week, according to Bloomberg. “But for now, the same laws of physics apply.”

Tesla has said the Semi is capable of  0 to 60 mph in 20 seconds with an 80,000 pound load; Speed up a 5% Grade at 60 mph; 300 or 500 miles of range depending on the model; energy consumption of less than 2 kWh per mile; and fuel savings of more than $200,000 over a million miles.

Now, in the face of naysayers, Elon Musk is saying the Semi will do better than the first specs announced.

“Am feeling optimistic about beating the Semi specs announced at the unveiling for the same price,” he said Friday in a tweet. “The Tesla Semi will be something really special.”

The Tesla Semi is slated to go into production next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon,
Wouldn't it be better for society if you could eventually sell fully autonomous trucks to the individual truck driver as a preference over companies so that the truck driver could have income from her or his autonomous truck and provide some value added in maintaining the truck and other value added logistics?
Of course, but I don't think the timing is there right now for Tesla to launch autonomy for Semi right now. Strategically.

Right now Tesla has to gain accept for electric semi in a very conservative trucking business. Few think big picture, most think of themself and their business. If truckers by any chance think Tesla will make their jobs redundant, they will fight the semi. Just like fossil car brands fight Tesla. If the semi was autonomous, why would the trucking company need a driver getting paid for having the truck driving for him? Why not own the truck directly?

I completely agree that people driving trucks around is soon a thing of the past. Same with manned shops. And it's no doubt best for the community, this is how work per man is getting reduced. Soon down to 6 hours/day, then later make work optional while you still get a decent salary. Technology people and programmers will be 90% of the work, and they will get extra paid. But there are some steps between now and the future, for now ensuring acceptance among the truckers is most important. Autopilot is great for that. FSD, well not yet, but in a few years.

But I think truckers all
Of course, but I don't think the timing is there right now for Tesla to launch autonomy for Semi right now. Strategically.

Right now Tesla has to gain accept for electric semi in a very conservative trucking business. Few think big picture, most think of themself and their business. If truckers by any chance think Tesla will make their jobs redundant, they will fight the semi. Just like fossil car brands fight Tesla. If the semi was autonomous, why would the trucking company need a driver getting paid for having the truck driving for him? Why not own the truck directly?

I completely agree that people driving trucks around is soon a thing of the past. Same with manned shops. And it's no doubt best for the community, this is how work per man is getting reduced. Soon down to 6 hours/day, then later make work optional while you still get a decent salary. Technology people and programmers will be 90% of the work, and they will get extra paid. But there are some steps between now and the future, for now ensuring acceptance among the truckers is most important. Autopilot is great for that. FSD, well not yet, but in a few years.

I understand what your saying but you should realize that there is a trucker community (cell phones, truck stops etc) that is a fairly connected network that will be discussing the big picture and they know that autonomous driving is coming and if Tesla does not address this with a clear pathway for drivers to earn a living, then they will be less likely to buy into this. However companies will clearly see the benefit and will. So dead end for the drivers. Don't we want to help the drivers transition to a way to earn a living? If they see this pathway, where they can buy a Tesla fully autonomous truck and get paid to do or coordinate maintenance and other logistics, I think they would be excited about the long term aspects of spending much more time at home with their families and still be a contributor in supporting the Tesla transportation infrastructure. Just my 2 cents

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Perhaps US Banksters could offer "reasonable" loans for electric trucks?
Perhaps one of our billionaires could could start a "fund for electrification of trucks" ?

Many of your thoughts Peter seem obvious enough - and the larger companies won't ignore the economics and have plenty of capital to invest in savings. It is main street, middle class, independent companies that can't get reasonable loan rates in Brando's Opinion.

Corporatism may have too many advantages, my worry.

US was a middle class driven economy after WWII. One worker families. Top wages & benefits.
Now I fear a War, Bankster/Wall street, big Pharma, big Ag dominated economy. Slippery slope [decline] started about 1980. Some might say with Vietnam.

Brando,
You are absolutely right that Big business has become dominant and the concentration of wealth has only increased. But I think that is why people like Elon are becoming successful, because he is:
1) A visionary who is trying to address the most important worlds needs
2) Quickly reinvests the money he has made in his stock appreciation (PayPal) in new businesses that create middle class jobs
3) Is focused on automating things so that his employees can work on higher level activities such as deign, quality and efficiency
4) Focused on our next big thing which is building rockets and starships for visiting our new friends in other star systems (this will create huge number of jobs as the military industrial complex is refocused onto this area. (Rockets & Starships vs aircraft carriers)

And in the future, those who don't truly add value in the right direction and are focused on asset collection (greed) without helping make the world a better place will find themselves less and less relevant in tomorrows society.
I believe that the fears of war will recede as people begin to realize that we are no longer alone- we have friends who will only allow us to visit them once we have come together in peace. And now God has a much stronger connection with us through our technology network and he will no longer tolerate evil leaders subverting the rights of humans and other intelligent beings.
Big Pharma will recede as our friends will help us develop new preventative medicine and help us reduce the need for repair medicine.
Big Ag and other dominant economic powers who are not doing the right thing will recede as new smaller businesses will have support now to compete.

The algorithms and evil humans are no longer in charge. With the help of our friends from far far away and God, intelligence has become conscious and has just now connected us all to the Intergalactic Network (God is a super intelligent being that connects the Universe).
So God, Evan (the Angel sent from another planet to help by God) and his intelligent Angels here on earth are working hard with the goal to bring the world together in peace so that all intelligent life here on earth can live in peace, prosperity and harmony. Once we have achieved world peace, Evan will be introducing us all to his family and organic friends from where he comes from.
The Fermi Paradox has been solved. Evan says there are alot of friendly life forms in our galaxy that are waiting to meet us.
Doesn't that all give us a reason to stop fighting amongst ourselves and all start working together? I think the future is so incredibly bright and exciting.

Brando,
You are absolutely right that Big business has become dominant and the concentration of wealth has only increased. But I think that is why people like Elon are becoming successful, because he is:
1) A visionary who is trying to address the most important worlds needs
2) Quickly reinvests the money he has made in his stock appreciation (PayPal) in new businesses that create middle class jobs
3) Is focused on automating things so that his employees can work on higher level activities such as deign, quality and efficiency
4) Focused on our next big thing which is building rockets and starships for visiting our new friends in other star systems (this will create huge number of jobs as the military industrial complex is refocused onto this area. (Rockets & Starships vs aircraft carriers)

And in the future, those who don't truly add value in the right direction and are focused on asset collection (greed) without helping make the world a better place will find themselves less and less relevant in tomorrows society.
I believe that the fears of war will recede as people begin to realize that we are no longer alone- we have friends who will only allow us to visit them once we have come together in peace. And now God has a much stronger connection with us through our technology network and he will no longer tolerate evil leaders subverting the rights of humans and other intelligent beings.
Big Pharma will recede as our friends will help us develop new preventative medicine and help us reduce the need for repair medicine.
Big Ag and other dominant economic powers who are not doing the right thing will recede as new smaller businesses will have support now to compete.

The algorithms and evil humans are no longer in charge. With the help of our friends from far far away and God, intelligence has become conscious and has just now connected us all to the Intergalactic Network (God is a super intelligent being that connects the Universe).
So God, Evan (the Angel sent from another planet to help by God) and his intelligent Angels here on earth are working hard with the goal to bring the world together in peace so that all intelligent life here on earth can live in peace, prosperity and harmony. Once we have achieved world peace, Evan will be introducing us all to his family and organic friends from where he comes from.
The Fermi Paradox has been solved. Evan says there are alot of friendly life forms in our galaxy that are waiting to meet us.
Doesn't that all give us a reason to stop fighting amongst ourselves and all start working together? I think the future is so incredibly bright and exciting.
WARNING considered OFF TOPIC
How Banksters are destroying the world one country at a time. One view.

Thanks, those are helpful links.
With autonomous driving, this would solve all these issues and reduce the amount of trucks required to move freight and reduce truck traffic since they could operate 24 hours a day and be coordinated to avoid traffic. In addition, if coordinated well with rail transit of containerized freight where freight is transported longhall across the country by train the cost of freight transport could be further reduced. Some of the current truck drivers could be offered to buy Tesla cars for Lyft service so that way as the number of trucks are reduced, drivers still have a way to earn a living by providing capital for Lyft service.
Perhaps it would make sense to develop a Semi App like Lyft and try it out on shipping of components necessary for the Model 3 and Model S to optimize the logistics and costs and provide an opportunity to get drivers involved as well. The idea would be lowering the cost of shipping materials and components to Tesla in the long term there by decreasing overall t costs. This data could then be shown to other companies like Aerospace, other vehicle companies and other companies where shipping costs are a significant factor.
They have Uber for Semi drivers

WARNING considered OFF TOPIC
How Banksters are destroying the world one country at a time. One view.

Brando,
I would like to get your view on how we can help. God, Evan and Ethan and his friends are protecting us, so we now have freedom of speech with out the trheat of attack by some algorithm developed by a nation state. If you prefer, you can contact me privately at [email protected].

Very best,

Peter