Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: V10 wide release "hopefully end of august" after early access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me personally, AP/FSD features is all care about. I couldn't care less about games or playlist support or voice commands for temperature.

And frantically, I don't understand this idea that Tesla needs to implement every basic feature that other cars have. Who cares if a Tesla does not have some tiny feature that an older car had years ago if the Tesla gets to self-driving? That's far more valuable and important. I mean, if you had a choice between a 10 year old rental car that has say hands free texting or a Tesla that is self-driving, I am picking the Tesla!

Guess it depends on your perspective. I think Tesla will get to self driving. I do not think it will get to self driving for my 2017 Model 3. They have a history of advertising things like that then just abandoning them and moving on when it doesn’t work out. If you look back at the original Summon release announcement, it basically describes enhanced summon will be coming for your V7 AP1 Tesla. That is what all those owners were expecting back then. And here we are today. Sure, there was the mobile eye split, but even without that, Tesla wasn’t planning on making AP1 capable of that once they figured out they couldn’t do it, it was going to require AP2 (and now possibly AP3).

So the creature comforts (voice commands, etc) would be nice vs new arcade games. Because my car won’t ever be a self driving car.

Reactions: jebinc and outdoors
So the creature comforts (voice commands, etc) would be nice vs new arcade games. Because my car won’t ever be a self driving car.

Don't get me wrong. I don't care much for the emphasis on games either (except chess). I actually do look forward to the text messaging feature because that is a feature that will be very useful to me. Especially, since hands free texting compliments AP nicely.

I just get a little defensive when I hear people say "Tesla should implement this feature my old car had". Tesla cars have their own unique features, some features better than other cars and probably some features worse than other cars. Like every car, Teslas have their own pros and cons. Frankly, if people think their 10 year old car has so many better features than their Tesla, why not just keep driving your 10 year old car so much instead of complaining about Tesla?

Basically, it sounds like you just want Tesla to do things the same way Subaru does things.

Personally for me, and most probably most on the forum, do not want Tesla to do things the same way as Subaru or any other manufacturer does. I "want" Tesla to do things better than the others. Obviously, in many ways they already do, but in many ways they do not.

A simple thing that my sons Kia does and Tesla could iimplement easier than the games is activating the right side camera upon activation of the right hand turn signal. A portion of the right side screen shows that the turn can be made safely without bicycle riders or other obstacles in the path. How difficult can it be to implement versus games that tie into the active steering wheel?

I love my Teslas, but even a fanboy should realize if a company wants to promote it's products as the latest / greatest in forward thinking technology, it baseline should include all (or most) of the existing technology already out there in competitive products. Even more so if those features are available in products for many years, selling a a fraction of the price, and shown to be useful to the consumer.

Regardless of safety regulations or common sense, most of us have texted or been distracted doing manual things that are easily done with voice activated technology that has existed for years in vehicles - put that tech in my Tesla, and those who don't care don't have to avail themselves of it.

Safety features should be a no-brainer for a company selling what many consider among the safest vehicles ever produced. We should be OK missing other easily adapted proven safety features, long available in other vehicles, just because ours are safe ? I think not.

Put in a heads up display. HUD technology seems particularly suitable to a vehicle with no buttons, to avoid distraction when trying to see blind spot issues, warning lights, etc., and help you to keep you eyes directly on the road. This is an issue with my model S, but even more so on my Model 3 - leaning over to check the lanes, or trying to set the temp or fans is a major distraction with a center mounted touchscreen display.

Voice commands are already in the vehicle - so why not make it a priority to be able to access ALL functions that way ? I'd take temperature / fan changes over an Atari game, if that is what it takes.

I love driving my Teslas, and absolutely prefer either one over almost any rental / loaner vehicle I've had; but it does annoy me any time I can utilize a simple tech feature in a 20k Kia or Honda that I can't access in my substantially more expensive and tech-laden Tesla.

Please fix that, Mr. Musk.

Personally for me, and most probably most on the forum, do not want Tesla to do things the same way as Subaru or any other manufacturer does. I "want" Tesla to do things better than the others. Obviously, in many ways they already do, but in many ways they do not.

A simple thing that my sons Kia does and Tesla could iimplement easier than the games is activating the right side camera upon activation of the right hand turn signal. A portion of the right side screen shows that the turn can be made safely without bicycle riders or other obstacles in the path. How difficult can it be to implement versus games that tie into the active steering wheel?

Agreed - Most are looking for Tesla to be ahead of others, including Subaru; especially on basic safety features/functionality (since Telsa's goal is FSD). Given this FSD goal, a "reasonable person" would expect Tesla pre-FSD functionality to be superior, and not inferior (or missing altogether) to long-existing capability offered by the automotive OEM's Telsa hopes to eclipse.

EDIT: And I supported Tesla by buying the $6000 FSD option...

Last edited:
Even more so if those features are available in products for many years, selling at a fraction of the price, and shown to be useful to the consumer.

Safety features should be a no-brainer for a company selling what many consider among the safest vehicles ever produced. We should be OK missing other easily adapted proven safety features, long available in other vehicles, just because ours are safe ? I think not.

Auto wipers, on what iteration of release? Still tapping my finger on the end stalk while driving.

I just get a little defensive when I hear people say "Tesla should implement this feature my old car had".

You should as you are telling those people that those features are not really that important and we should just love Tesla. I do that already. I can also find improvements in the cars and the company I love as well.

Reactions: afadeev
Auto wipers, on what iteration of release? Still tapping my finger on the end stalk while driving.

Mine had auto mode since delivery in June. At the time was on 2019.15.103

You should as you are telling those people that those features are not really that important and we should just love Tesla. I do that already. I can also find improvements in the cars and the company I love as well.

It's actual a little more passive-aggressive.... The referenced person asked for examples of missing features... and when provided in a thoughtful manner, said referenced person went into full-on fanboy mode - as if they were looking to stoke controversy.... Then, later expresses grief from everyone stating what features other cars have that they would like to see Tesla offer... For these reasons, I will no longer respond to said referenced person, and have since placed them on my "Ignore" list... YMMV ;)

Last edited:

I get that. The thing is that many of the features that people are requesting like rear cross traffic alert are L1 features. Folks seem to want Tesla to focus on adding all the L1 features they like. These folks don't seem to care about FSD because they are perfectly happy with a L1 car that helps them drive. But Tesla is aiming for full autonomy, L3+. Implementing those "old" features would be looking backward instead of forward. I don't want Tesla to look backwards to L1 features. I want Tesla to devote all their energy to getting to FSD as soon as possible. I don't want a L1 car, I want a L3+ car! Hopefully, this explains where I am coming from.

• Disagree
I get that. The thing is that many of the features that people are requesting like rear cross traffic alert are L1 features. Folks seem to want Tesla to focus on adding all the L1 features they like.

But..... wouldn't a "Fully Self-Driving" car need to be able see the rear cross-traffic in order to be able to, back out of a garage, driveway, parking spot, etc?

Can't have it both ways - we can't say, "Feature X isn't necessary because the car will be driving itself!" because "Feature X" is necessary for the car to drive itself. So either Feature X doesn't actually exist in the car, in which case FSD will never really happen. Or Feature X is in the car, in which case it should be trivial to surface to the driver when in 'manual' mode.

Reactions: afadeev and jebinc
But..... wouldn't a "Fully Self-Driving" car need to be able see the rear cross-traffic in order to be able to, back out of a garage, driveway, parking spot, etc?

Can't have it both ways - we can't say, "Feature X isn't necessary because the car will be driving itself!" because "Feature X" is necessary for the car to drive itself. So either Feature X doesn't actually exist in the car, in which case FSD will never really happen. Or Feature X is in the car, in which case it should be trivial to surface to the driver when in 'manual' mode.

Of course, a FSD car needs to see rear cross traffic. Obviously, I want Tesla to have that capability. It's about HOW the feature is implemented. I am against the "old" way that most cars do rear cross traffic alert, where the cars beeps at the driver. I want Tesla to do FSD where the car sees the rear cross traffic and takes action itself to avoid any collision.

So I am not against a rear cross traffic feature, I just want Tesla to do it the better way and not waste resources on simply alerting the driver. I want Tesla to focus on FSD where the car can handle it without needing to alert the driver.

• Disagree

"Some" struggle to grasp anything outside of their own reality/fantasy. I agree with you 100% - like a "prerequisite" college class, the basic safety features mentioned seem like a "prerequisite" to FSD...

"Some" struggle to grasp anything outside of their own reality/fantasy. I agree with you 100% - like a "prerequisite" college class, the basic safety features mentioned seem like a "prerequisite" to FSD...

The "basic" safety features are implied in FSD. The only difference is that the FSD car handles it itself instead of the safety feature beeping to tell the driver to do it. It's a fallacy to think Tesla has to implement a feature that beeps to tell the driver to do it as a prerequisite for FSD: Just do FSD where the car itself handles it.

• Disagree
"Some" feel it's okay, even better in fact, that the Tesla FSD/Autopilot does "basic" functions differently when in FSD/Auto pilot mode - while struggling to grasp the concept that Tesla doesn't provide the "basics" for those (many) times when the driver actually wants to, or needs to, DRIVE the car. And, as many of you know, FSD/Autopilot doesn't engage when "backing up/reverse" nor provide any rear cross traffic alert or rear automatic braking, or otherwise, similar to what was described earlier that other cars do. Perhaps these "some" would suggest the only logical answer is you must stand outside of your car and use the "Summon" functionality when you want to drive the car in reverse, or back out of a parking spot - no other options should exist but what Tesla has or promised, because Tesla is all knowing and Elon is a demigod. Lastly, for those times where you would want to engage FSD/Autopilot systems, not every road on your path allows you to even do so - and where it does, you may be subject to speed caps (MAX), etc.. "Some" just feel you should be fine (or even giddy) with a binary only experience - FSD or nothing. These people just can't grasp the concept of having basic functions when either FSD isn't available, or the driver (you) don't want full automation, but rather just want to drive your Tesla yourself. For those people, I say, "Have a nice day" :)

Personally, I want to see Tesla get to FSD everywhere (for when I want/need to use it); and for those instances where I want to drive, or where FSD isn't available, the "basic" safety functions are provided (not the case today) - I may be the exception but I'm not interested in an "all or nothing" proposition, because I actually like to drive. :)