Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must have accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I believe Pete8314 of Abstract Ocean, who is participating in this thread, has something in the works that may help with improved trunk lighting. See this thread:

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

Thanks, this is true. We're complete with the prototypes so are working on tooling at the moment. It'll still be a at least another few weeks though, depending how many iterations we end up going through.

It would have to be pretty cheap and as easy to isntall, because the strips that I installed in the frunk/trunk. It's fully integrated into the car lighting. Doesn't require splicing or cutting anything from the car. The car can be put back the way it was. Took about 30 minutes to add the plugs to the end of the pre-wired strip and 20 mins to install, for under $40 and still have a spare strip if one of them goes bad...

It would have to be pretty cheap and as easy to isntall, because the strips that I installed in the frunk/trunk. It's fully integrated into the car lighting. Doesn't require splicing or cutting anything from the car. The car can be put back the way it was. Took about 30 minutes to add the plugs to the end of the pre-wired strip and 20 mins to install, for under $40 and still have a spare strip if one of them goes bad...

I'm guessing you didn't bother to check the thread.

They are replacement bulbs.

They will probably take a few minutes to install, and the proposed cost is $7-$9 per unit, but less in quantity.

Yes. I have a metal bumper + rubber back case. I put the magnet between the rubber and the phone. It comes with an adhesive back to stick to your phone, but you probably wouldn't want that. Here is the link if others are interested though:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M807UK8

Your picture makes that mount look really low profile (1-2" mount arm), but the pictures on Amazon make it look like the mount arm is 4-5 inches long. I am looking for a very low profile suction cup mount (worried about 3M tape marking up the piano black finish if I remove it) that I can put in the same location. Any suggestions?

Your picture makes that mount look really low profile (1-2" mount arm), but the pictures on Amazon make it look like the mount arm is 4-5 inches long. I am looking for a very low profile suction cup mount (worried about 3M tape marking up the piano black finish if I remove it) that I can put in the same location. Any suggestions?

The 3M VHB tape will not mark your piano black finish as long as you're careful when removing. I've removed our mounts from most of the finishes (incl. piano black) without any drama. The best option (and useful all over the car if you need to pop panels are these plastic pry tools, but for something so small like a phone holder, just 'saw' it off with some dental floss until the bond breaks, and then any remnants you just roll off with your thumb.

Mine is NOT a low-profile mount, which I am enjoying. It uses a suction cup that has held for nearly two months, trouble-free. I don't think I would mind a low-profile mount though. For that, I would use Pete's.
No problem. I've just added some better product photos to the site as well.

Slimline Magnetic Phone holder - Abstract Ocean

Of course, with the July 4th deals running until tomorrow, you could save a few dollars...

Thanks Andy, I did read it, but was confused by the high cost of retooling. Still not quite sure how this would be better then the led strips that are integrated, but I guess we'd have to see it, but at around $27 for 3 bulbs, it's not bad, but I don't see how it can give the lighting coverage that the LED strips provide from those spots. Also, lots of people don't have the light outlets to replace just the bulb in the trunk. So I guess we'll see, but for about the same price, the LED strips seem a much better solution.

I'm guessing you didn't bother to check the thread.

They are replacement bulbs.

They will probably take a few minutes to install, and the proposed cost is $7-$9 per unit, but less in quantity.

Thanks Andy, I did read it, but was confused by the high cost of retooling. Still not quite sure how this would be better then the led strips that are integrated, but I guess we'd have to see it, but at around $27 for 3 bulbs, it's not bad, but I don't see how it can give the lighting coverage that the LED strips provide from those spots. Also, lots of people don't have the light outlets to replace just the bulb in the trunk. So I guess we'll see, but for about the same price, the LED strips seem a much better solution.

I currently use a Duracell lighting strip (with a PIR sensor); it's bright, likely brighter than the replacement bulbs will be, but it's not plug and play, it's not 'factory', and it requires batteries to be changed. It's also my second one after the first died (came from Costco in a pack of 2). The bulbs will be a simple, like-for-like replacement, but much brighter. There's other options that require a little, or a lot of effort, just depends on how much effort the customer wants to put into it. My tooling costs run to several thousand dollars to ensure the plug (and the rest of the light module) are exactly the same as supplied with the car.

I took a photo tonight after picking up some supplies and dinner. I love this accessory!!
TVNcWXa.jpg

There is another divider that I folded down to put the storage container. They Velcro to the outside of the unit, so it's easy to move them around as needed.

It's perfect fit, but didn't realize how heavy this thing is! Lol!

If you have the HPWC, or if you're going to permanently install the UMC, I'd highly recommend one of these, to hold the coiled cable:

Tornado 40 lb. Small Black Steel U-Hook-48004 - The Home Depot

Home Depot bracket.jpg

If you're installing into drywall, though, you may want to use something other than the included screws. I initially used those, and tried to be gentle with the cable, but the screws pulled out of the drywall anyway.

A must-have accessory for roadtrips in the summer with teenage kids in the back seats: USB mouse so they can control the music on the screen.

Now that's funny... A couple decades ago, you listen to whatever music your parents listen to in the car. Today, not only do that do whatever they want, but we "have to" as a bare necessity to give whatever is needed for them to listen.

Not necessarily. Some people, like @tliving, do not want to pack/unpack their UMC every day. He went down the road of buying a second UMC, but now that the HPWC is only $100 more expensive than a UMC (it used to $1,200), some people have opted to buy the HPWC even with single chargers so they can leave the UMC in their car. It really depends on your use case.

Thanks for the reference. Even with the close cost now between the HPWC and the second UMC I think i'd still go with 2 UMC's for 2 reasons:

1) I don't need the speed of the HPWC at home. The UMC is more than enough. Charges my car up for my daily use in 3-4 hours. (I drive ~100 miles a day)

2) If I ever do a really long road trip i'd want to have 2 UMC's with me (N+1). On my short NJ/MA trips I'm ok without taking both but if I go further from home i'd really want that backup. And yes, I've had a UMC fail completely on me (replaced for free thank goodness).