Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E GT Performance VS. Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stumbled upon this yesterday. As others have said, there's a lot of secret sauce to making a good EV, and this includes thermal management of the battery. Looks like Ford might have backed themselves into a corner on that design choice... which will invariably impact performance/longevity.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
Just stumbled upon this yesterday. As others have said, there's a lot of secret sauce to making a good EV, and this includes thermal management of the battery. Looks like Ford might have backed themselves into a corner on that design choice... which will invariably impact performance/longevity.

Well Ford has been grinding on this for a decade now so it's not like the Mach E is their first pure PEV. Should be concerning to would-be buyers and shareholders they're not solving some basic problems. Then again these breathless clickbait "news" articles where a few early buyers are having issues aren't necessarily indicative of systemic problems. Let's get more shipped, the winter months to elapse, and see what shakes out.

I won't beta test a Ford product again after my C-Max experience.

I'm a design engineer, so this stuff fascinates me...

But If anyone is interested in a deep dive on the benefits of designing an EV with a blank sheet of paper (Tesla) versus designing an EV when you've previously made ICE vehicles (iD.4 and Mach-E), this channel is awesome, and in particular this episode is revealing:

Information related to the InsideEV article on the Mach-E battery is here:

I have yet to see a test or a slip where the Mach-e GTPE could hit 3.5 seconds 0-60 with the 1 foot rollout. Every test I've seen has been 3.7--after subtracting the rollout. They then round it and say "so about 3.5." Sorry, .2 seconds is a lot. Magneride might be nice, but for half the money any of the coil over setups from UPP or MPP will provide better ride and better handling for the Y. The Mach-e is a very nice station wagon, if you ignore all the issues it has and all the money it will cost to fix coolant leaks as soon as it's out of warranty. If the Mach-e could beat the Y in ANY kind of race, or in ANY kind of utility, you'd see all sorts of videos on YouTube flaunting the victory. No victories for Ford, so they wisely prohibit any reviewers from testing the GT against the Y, ROFL.

Doug brings up a good point though. giving up a couple 10ths 0-60 and gaining handling would be a better trade (for me).

I have yet to see it proven that the GT handles better and have seen the infamous Moose Test which seems to indicate otherwise.

Still, I'd really like to see lap times with a professional driver at Laguna Seca or a road course like that.

Doug brings up a good point though. giving up a couple 10ths 0-60 and gaining handling would be a better trade (for me).

I have yet to see it proven that the GT handles better and have seen the infamous Moose Test which seems to indicate otherwise.

Still, I'd really like to see lap times with a professional driver at Laguna Seca or a road course like that.
It wouldn't be close due to how the Mach-E GT and GTPE throttle back the power after 5 seconds, unless it's in the Unbridled Extend mode, which cuts back the max power. They say this is for longer battery life, but it's more likely to prevent the battery pack from overheating. Either way, the GT/GTPE wouldn't do as well on a road course. It would be interesting to see a comparison of lap times, though. I'm curious to see how much difference the Unbridled Extend makes, or 'slows' the car down.

It wouldn't be close due to how the Mach-E GT and GTPE throttle back the power after 5 seconds, unless it's in the Unbridled Extend mode, which cuts back the max power. They say this is for longer battery life, but it's more likely to prevent the battery pack from overheating. Either way, the GT/GTPE wouldn't do as well on a road course. It would be interesting to see a comparison of lap times, though. I'm curious to see how much difference the Unbridled Extend makes, or 'slows' the car down.
I agree completely, I'd love to see the Mach-e GT PE on a road course. Given though that Ford has an embargo on reviewers testing the GT on any kind of track, it's going to be a while before we see that. It's smart on Ford's part to embargo testing. That way the magazines that really want a big chunk of Ford advertising money can just parrot Ford's claims. Obviously Ford has no faith in the GT or there wouldn't be a track embargo on reviews. I can't imagine why they're worried? I mean just because it's a heavy car with undersized tires, econo-car suspension and limited power delivery due to an inferior thermal system, heck that's no reason to think the car won't be fast on a track. LMFAO. We'll just have to wait for an owner to post videos of their car doing poorly on a track and claiming "10 seconds lap time isn't THAT much slower! This is a fast car!" ROFL.

I agree completely, I'd love to see the Mach-e GT PE on a road course. Given though that Ford has an embargo on reviewers testing the GT on any kind of track, it's going to be a while before we see that. It's smart on Ford's part to embargo testing. That way the magazines that really want a big chunk of Ford advertising money can just parrot Ford's claims. Obviously Ford has no faith in the GT or there wouldn't be a track embargo on reviews. I can't imagine why they're worried? I mean just because it's a heavy car with undersized tires, econo-car suspension and limited power delivery due to an inferior thermal system, heck that's no reason to think the car won't be fast on a track. LMFAO. We'll just have to wait for an owner to post videos of their car doing poorly on a track and claiming "10 seconds lap time isn't THAT much slower! This is a fast car!" ROFL.
We can kind of already see that the mach e as a design is wholly shart by looking at their 1400 racecar goodwood.

The Mach-e is fugly.

The Model y is a better road trip car because it has more range, charges faster and has the super charger network.
Looks are subjective. The Mach-E definitely stands out because you rarely see them. Model 3/Y (they're basically the same look) you see everywhere. You feel like a lemming. Its the Honda Accord of EVs

I will say the charging network is what scrubbed the Mach-E off my list though, I needed a road trip car and Toyota wanted WAY too much ($11k over MSRP) for a Rav4 Prime.