Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E GT Performance VS. Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet the Mach E is faster to 30mph but in any other situation, the Model Y Performance will gap it. At highway, it will be a massacre if you compare traps. Its a pretty big disappointment on the Mach E forums. In fact, I bet a regular Model Y AWD will walk a Mach E GT pretty easily at highway speeds.

And I think the 0-30mph is because Telsa nerfed the MYP's launch torque compared to the M3P. Waiting (probably in vain) for a performance update to fix that.

And I think the 0-30mph is because Telsa nerfed the MYP's launch torque compared to the M3P. Waiting (probably in vain) for a performance update to fix that.

They also didn't provide track mode to the MYP either. I think they didn't nerf it but smoothed out the powerband since its an SUV. Its also a couple hundred lbs heavier so it probably didn't offer the same punch even if you use the same configuration as the M3P. Honestly, I'd take a larger powerband at highway speeds for a performance SUV anyway...its not like you would autocross the MYP and even with the current power characteristics, its silly fast for an SUV.

The current speculation on the Mach E is that the inverter can't supply more than ~5s of full power and has to pare back to save the system...thats pretty bad if true. Some have said that if you punch it from a roll at a higher mph, the 50-70 mph is faster than from a stop which supports the 5s theory. Its undeniable that Tesla has better electric drivetrain technology (not close really) but the 1/4th trap is slow. They joke a 2L Accord would walk it at highway speeds :D

Agree with Mach-e GT Performance Edition's biggest advantage: the adaptive Magneride suspension. it is a shame it is available only as part of the $5K performance package. The flipside, as others have noted, is the abysmal trap speed in the 1/4 mile (whether due to the max 7 seconds of acceleration or whatever) - hard to believe Ford let this slide on a car they chose to brand as a "Mustang GT". Other than that, the Mach e comes across as the most compelling alternative to Tesla at it's price point.

If Tesla would introduce the rumored air suspension (preferably adaptive) for the Y, it would go a long way toward convincing me to replace my older with one. Of course they are selling so well "as-is", they have little incentive to make that change.

Reactions: oktane
If Tesla would introduce the rumored air suspension (preferably adaptive) for the Y, it would go a long way toward convincing me to replace my older with one. Of course they are selling so well "as-is", they have little incentive to make that change.
This just showed up on Scan My Tesla. Interesting... front & rear ride height

As far as the GT & GTPE, Ford is severely limiting the power after about 5-6 seconds. Even the 1/8th trap is low.
If you look at the 50-70, it's around 1.95-2.0. Even my Y LR with acceleration boost is quicker (1.77). My Y also runs the quarter in 12.26 @ 113, beating it in both the ET and trap.

Y Performance owners won't have anything to worry about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-080421.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-080421.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 129
When Motortrend did their 2020 MYLR test they were getting 12.4 seconds at 114.8 mph which only .1 seconds slower than the MachE GT and over 10MPH faster trap speed. This tells me that the Mach-E is faster in the 1/8 mile but gets creamed over 70MPH. Probably has a lot to do with drag. The MachE is not very aerodynamic compared to the MY and as the speeds gets faster, the drag grows exponentially.

Reactions: oktane
When Motortrend did their 2020 MYLR test they were getting 12.4 seconds at 114.8 mph which only .1 seconds slower than the MachE GT and over 10MPH faster trap speed. This tells me that the Mach-E is faster in the 1/8 mile but gets creamed over 70MPH. Probably has a lot to do with drag. The MachE is not very aerodynamic compared to the MY and as the speeds gets faster, the drag grows exponentially.

On the Mach E forums, Ford confirmed that there is a 5 second window of max power before it starts reducing power drastically. The Mach E will get to 60 pretty quickly and then fall flat afterwards. It only traps 100mph...and its pretty even with a MY Performance in the first 50mph. Strange programming if you ask me.

On the Mach E forums, Ford confirmed that there is a 5 second window of max power before it starts reducing power drastically. The Mach E will get to 60 pretty quickly and then fall flat afterwards. It only traps 100mph...and its pretty even with a MY Performance in the first 50mph. Strange programming if you ask me.
Not strange programming at all. How many people drag race to 100 taking their kids to soccer? I’d say it’s Ford designing a product to a price point that aligns with the target consumer and their use case. Good for them. The mistake was naming it mustang and encouraging journalists to try burnouts. It’s a minivan with doors that open wrong to 99% of the people who buy it.

If I were considering one again, I'd want to know, is that a floating window of 6 seconds (or whatever length it is exactly). Let's suppose I am steady state at 35 mph for a while, stuck behind a motor home in the mountains and finally get a shot to pass. Is the power going to get nerfed in the middle of my pass?

I used to have a few turbo cars that would allow overboost for a few seconds (typically just long enough to post a good 0-60 time) and then the power would dial back quite a bit. It always felt like someone just lopped a few cylinders of the motor.

Consider acceleration already tapers off at higher speeds, this limited higher output window might be more of an issue other than the 0-60 sprint. While I appreciate a good/great 0-60 time, I don't have that many stops where I could exercise that anyway. The roll-on acceleration is much more useful for me. Haven't read anything regarding that on the MME forums to see if or how that was impacted but definitely curious.

Reactions: TomServo
If I were considering one again, I'd want to know, is that a floating window of 6 seconds (or whatever length it is exactly). Let's suppose I am steady state at 35 mph for a while, stuck behind a motor home in the mountains and finally get a shot to pass. Is the power going to get nerfed in the middle of my pass?

I used to have a few turbo cars that would allow overboost for a few seconds (typically just long enough to post a good 0-60 time) and then the power would dial back quite a bit. It always felt like someone just lopped a few cylinders of the motor.

Consider acceleration already tapers off at higher speeds, this limited higher output window might be more of an issue other than the 0-60 sprint. While I appreciate a good/great 0-60 time, I don't have that many stops where I could exercise that anyway. The roll-on acceleration is much more useful for me. Haven't read anything regarding that on the MME forums to see if or how that was impacted but definitely curious.
Good point, on a recent road trip traveling through areas with a 5 to7% inclines I had to pass slower traffic due to the incline, and to merging traffic I could see would impact two of the lanes, my LR AWD with Performance Boost accelerated like a rocket from 60 mph to 80 before I know it and I was around and away from the chaos that was going on behind me. Getting "nerfed" at that moment would have been dangerous.

Not strange programming at all. How many people drag race to 100 taking their kids to soccer? I’d say it’s Ford designing a product to a price point that aligns with the target consumer and their use case. Good for them. The mistake was naming it mustang and encouraging journalists to try burnouts. It’s a minivan with doors that open wrong to 99% of the people who buy it.
Their mistake is the marketing, along with the power figures. If there's going to be a restriction, market the power numbers with the restriction and mention the overbooked figures. This is what Porsche does. With Ford boasting 0-60 in 3.5s, owners are mad because they can't consistently hit that figure (usually 3 9-4.0) and if it does, it's a once and done pony.

Marketing a Performance Edition vehicle that drops 10 mph in the quarter mile trap speed is going to create some angry customers, especially when a less expensive version of the same vehicle doesn't get the software throttling.

This thing is supposed to compete with the Model Y performance and X3M. That is the price point in which it is competing. There is a market for a performance SUV and to chop off power after 5 seconds is laughable. The Model Y traps 15 mph faster in the quarter mile. Ford screwed up pretty bad from an engineering standpoint.

This thing is supposed to compete with the Model Y performance and X3M. That is the price point in which it is competing. There is a market for a performance SUV and to chop off power after 5 seconds is laughable. The Model Y traps 15 mph faster in the quarter mile. Ford screwed up pretty bad from an engineering standpoint.
Not only that, Ford is literally being deceptive with the specs. They advertise max power as such yet max power is not available all the time. If it is only available for 5 secs instead then that there is false advertising. Other companies have stupid boost buttons like Porsche's Overboost however it is advertised as such. The advertised max power reflects the max power w/o the boost. Instead Ford is advertising it's max power including the 5 sec limit. Then cue all the surprised posts on mach-e forum when everyone was waiting for an ota fix for something they've been mislead to believe. /smh

Also, I can envision a possible class action on this. Mazda is an example...

Last edited: