Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E is a Gamechanger - My Opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not quite what he said...he said loaners would be the best version of whatever car you dropped off for service.

And he specifically cited the S and X when he said that (3 hadn't actually started delivering to customers when he said this)

Eh, the quote was:
"Our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available"
"If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous … Model X that we have. Same for Model S.”

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Key word, to give them an out, here is "that we have". Believe they give out their best Tesla's first, then lesser Tesla, then Enterprise rentals, then Uber credits.

Believe production volumes have almost tripled since that quote.

Tesla also not tends to sell all their existing rentals prior to EOM and EOY profit pushes. Takes some time to restock.

My experience has been to sometimes get a Tesla loaner, and other times a Enterprise. Never needed a shuttle of Uber credits.

While Uber credits will not work for all, they can be a very efficient and cost effective solution where conditions are right.

Not everything. The Model S and X use Mercedes parts for the steering wheel and column and brembo makes the brake system which is not unique. I would be surprised if Tesla's wheel bearings are a unique design. I think many of Tesla's "normal" car parts are sourced from regular vendors.

Sourced yes, designed no. And dont be obtuse, the steering stalks dont affect efficiency. I guess you are surprised then, because they are. The calipers are OE supplier sourced, but the operation of the master cylinder and control of the pads is unique to Tesla as far as I know.

Never owned a Ford before,

But that doesn't stop you from writing out a bullet point putting Ford over Tesla because of build quality?

Keep digging...

On the other hand, I have had both Fords and a Tesla (and experienced though not owned an earlier Tesla), so I can compare. Let's just say that if you are unsatisfied with the build quality of a model 3, the game changer for you would probably not be a Ford, but be the Audi E-tron.

It is really well built and sturdy, even though I personally don't like driving it (compared to a model 3 almost anything starts to feel extremely claustrophobic -- you should try it. Personally it throws me back to the days I had an Audi A6).

The Mercedes EQC interior I like a lot more and it also exudes quality, but even then it feels claustrophobic. And it's got a lot more drawbacks as a car than the E-tron (which is perfectly fine if you like driving in dark coloured main battle tanks).

The Jaguar i-Pace has a more luxurious interior (and it's a lot less dark), but I wouldn't say it exudes quality.

One other point, BTW: to be a game changer for the Model Y, the Mach E would have to be built in quantities sufficient to put a dent in the quantities of Model Y that are projected to be built.

Because Tesla is the only company that doesn't allow for test drives, doesn't have a long enough history for that model to verify "known issues" and they only give you 7 days to return it which means anything discovered thereafter means you have to fight them to get fixed or replaced. Your only other option is to sell it tbh.
That’s funny, not only did I test drive a Model 3 performance before I bought one, they drove it out to my house over an hour away for the test drive, which was over 2 hrs long by the way. Also when i picked up my car it was flawless

Reactions: E Dizzle
Tesla sales go online-only amid huge test drive change

They ONLY offer the 7 day return BECAUSE they don't offer test drives.

"...Since people are still going to want to drive a car before they commit, Tesla is taking a different approach there: more along the lines of a comprehensive refund policy than a traditional test-drive. Buyers will be able to purchase a new Tesla online, and then return it within seven days or 1,000 miles driving."
Yeah whoever wrote that don’t know what the hell they are talking about.

Then I stand corrected, when we went to our SC last month (Dedham MA) they didn't have a Model X to test drive...we were told we would have to schedule one online and then they would contact us when one became available. After not hearing back for a week I was told the same thing, and as of the other day I just gave up calling and will just stop by the next time I'm in the area.

The bottom line is that unlike other dealerships, Tesla doesn't always have loaners or vehicles to test drive and that has been shown here time and again (think Uber credits vs. Musk's promise of "you'll get a Performance model as a loaner!" Tesla Model S Loaners For Tesla Model S Owners, Elon Musk Says

I get the issue, but for someone that randomly walks in hoping to take one for a spin, that's not always the truth unfortunately and varies by location tbh.
Well having a dealer tell you that you have to schedule a test drive and then claiming they flat out don’t offer them is a bit misleading don’t you think.

The Mach E GT is really intriguing. We just bought a new Ford Edge for my wife and I'm constantly surprised by how much I like it and just how really good it is. However, for my DD I detest the idea of a crossover or SUV (unless it miraculously handles as good as a GT350, then I probably wouldn't care)

About the autopilot, is there a way to get it to just do adaptive cruise and set it at 10mph over the speed limit on a two lane road? There's a road on my commute that cuts through open space for a few miles and if I drove the speed limit or even 5mph over, I'd have a lot of irritated people behind me.

Reactions: MARKM3
Eh, the quote was:
"Our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available"
"If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous … Model X that we have. Same for Model S.”

Right.

Meaning the original claim of "every loaner will be a P100D Model S" is not quite what he said

• Funny
Reactions: Az_Rael
The Mach E GT is really intriguing. We just bought a new Ford Edge for my wife and I'm constantly surprised by how much I like it and just how really good it is. However, for my DD I detest the idea of a crossover or SUV (unless it miraculously handles as good as a GT350, then I probably wouldn't care)

About the autopilot, is there a way to get it to just do adaptive cruise and set it at 10mph over the speed limit on a two lane road? There's a road on my commute that cuts through open space for a few miles and if I drove the speed limit or even 5mph over, I'd have a lot of irritated people behind me.
Don’t see why not.

I am just amazed people are so willing to brush off this offering from Ford, open the blinders folks. This vehicle will sell well and the charging infrastructure and technology is pretty close to being on par with Tesla. The fact that I was always under the impression Tesla was 7-10 years ahead of everyone else was flat out fairy tail.

People are forgetting Tesla makes up only 1% of the market share in vehicles.

I don't think anyone is brushing it off, but the thing is not available yet for purchase It doesn't exist in the marketplace so it's pretty hard to embrace it when you can't get it. and I can't similarly say that it's going to be better when it doesn't yet exist in the hands of consumers.

Reactions: MARKM3 and Az_Rael

Just don't use Autosteer. TACC will "happily" work at up to 90 miles an hour pretty much anywhere.

Why do people on TMC hate the EV competition so much? this community is almost as toxic as the League of Legends community, seriously..... we're all here for the same goal, THE FUTURE.
Many of us know and understand where Tesla has its shortcomings but in the same vein some of us have tried other EV and PHEV’s from traditionally fossil vehicle manufacturer and despite large franchise networks and experience building vehicles they still manage to make the same rookie mistakes time and again or deliberately limit their equipments usefulness and or desirability through questionable marketing, lax or limited training for workshop, designs and if some cases even planned obsolescence.