Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E is a Gamechanger - My Opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford just announded that their EV will not be ready until the end of 2020, and even then in limited numbers. Most of their production is going overseas at first, to conform to emissions requirements there.

Initially only the most expensive Founders and Premium edition will be delivered. OP will need to wait till well into next year to get his vaunted value priced version.

There is already a waiting list, so if he has just decided, it most likely will be at least a couple years for him to change his mind again.

Ford just announded that their EV will not be ready until the end of 2020, and even then in limited numbers. Most of their production is going overseas at first, to conform to emissions requirements there.

Initially only the most expensive Founders and Premium edition will be delivered. OP will need to wait till well into next year to get his vaunted value priced version.

There is already a waiting list, so if he has just decided, it most likely will be at least a couple years for him to change his mind again.
Maybe this thread will be over by then... :D

Hey i applaud the appearance of them getting in the EV game. But its ugly and should never have been called a Mustang let alone soil the Mach designation. Here is the difference, dealerships are going to mark this thing up like there is no tomorrow. Good luck getting one at MSRP unless the tax rebate gets it there, hell thats probably exactly what they will claim too. Also how many of these are they making per year?

I agree with some of your points. I’m a former Mustang owner so it is a bit odd for an SUV to also be called a Mustang. I do think it does look quite sharp though. Having to get it through the traditional dealership model, definitely a bummer. I predict it will sell quite well here in NJ though with the new $5000 state credit + no NJ sales tax on EVs + $7500 fed tax credit that Ford is still eligible for. Early sales will definitely dictate their production volume but last I’ve read they’ve got a decent reservation list. I think the biggest production constraint for them will be with the batteries though.

I agree with some of your points. I’m a former Mustang owner so it is a bit odd for an SUV to also be called a Mustang. I do think it does look quite sharp though. Having to get it through the traditional dealership model, definitely a bummer. I predict it will sell quite well here in NJ though with the new $5000 state credit + no NJ sales tax on EVs + $7500 fed tax credit that Ford is still eligible for. Early sales will definitely dictate their production volume but last I’ve read they’ve got a decent reservation list. I think the biggest production constraint for them will be with the batteries though.
Yes absolutely they will have issues with battery production. I cant get past dealer markup though. At one time i wanted the new Raptor, till i saw 20k markups. People may have placed reservations, but with the dealership model they really don't have any idea what they will be paying right now. Lets see how many people drop their reservations when they see the final price.

I can't "see" anything. Your image doesn't work. Moving the goalposts now? First is was 250 miles, now it's 270? lol

Just give up man and admit you were wrong.

He can't do that. Like, literally seems incapable of it.

He was proven wrong repeatedly early in with his nonsense claims about there being more local 350kw EA chargers than superchargers and several other points- he just kept ignoring the facts and moving the goalposts. He's doing it again now.

Seems to be his thing.

. Price for the top of the line GT is supposed to be just north of 60K and that gets you a 0-60 mid 3second and a range of 300 tops.

Nope.

The just-under-4-second ~250 mile range GT is just over 60k.

The GT Performance is the mid-3 second one that'll cost even more (not announced yet) and presumably also about about 250 range.

The 300 mile range is the NON performance and NON AWD LR version.

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E First Look | Kelley Blue Book

Has range/pricing details on the various trims. All of which are at least a couple generations behind Tesla at this point.

I
Also how many of these are they making per year?

They HOPE to have made 50,000 of em. By the end 2021.

And most of those are going to Europe.

Which BTW is about the # of cars Tesla sold in 7 weeks last year- probably nearer 5-6 weeks in 2020. Probably in less than a month by end of 2021.

Not really much smaller, look at all the Electrify America stations out there supporting up to 350kw. How much smaller is much smaller?

With my hand on the wheel, I might as well drive the car. If you have to put your hand on the wheel, it sort of defeats the purpose of relaxing. I'm a pilot, and when I put the airplane in autopilot I do not have to keep my hand on the yolk.

There are a lot fewer things you might hit in the sky....

Give it time. Eventually Autopilot will not require your hand on the wheel. At this point, it does.

Reactions: MARKM3
11 pages of discussion on a car that doesn’t exist from a company that doesn’t know anything about building successful EVs. Wow.

And Tesla does? LOL. The fit and finish on my model 3 is far from being a perfect car. That is exactly why I said tesla is primarily a technology company, not a car company.

Great analysis. I agree and think the car is very sharp, but the mustang name was needed I feel for brand identity and to show a level of commitment out of ford.

The mach-e is to the tesla what Android was to iPhone. Ultimately, Apple was way ahead of the game, just like Tesla, and like Ford, Google saw the writing on the wall and understood that they had to follow the new paradigm shift, but it took Android a long time to catch up and be truly competitive with the iPhone and we'll see the same thing here with the mach-e, Tesla is still ahead of the game, but Ford has shown that they are starting down the path to competitiveness and ultimately we'll all be the better for it. Certainly, I don't expect the mach-e to have knight rider voice mods any time soon :D

That is a great analogy and it did take a bit for Android makers to catch up but by 2012 the Galaxy S3 was already outselling the iPhone 4s and they have gone back and forth since. Plus there are companies like Motorola, Huawei, Nokia, etc... that have all had decent shares of the market in different parts of the world for different periods of time. There are even some countries where Android is dominant by huge margins while iOS dominates in others.

I don't have any particular loyalty to Tesla, I drove a Nissan Leaf for 4 years before getting my TM3. Both are electric cars made in America (the Leaf is made in Smyrna, TN) and the Leaf was a HELL of a lot cheaper in terms of out the door price after incentives and negotiations. It was a great car for 98% of the driving I do... I mostly just wanted something faster and more sporty to drive so I got the Tesla. There is no reason why other carmakers can't put out compelling EVs in the next 5 years that compete with what Tesla offers just like Samsung was able to do with the Galaxy phones or cater to a different demographic like Motorola has been able to do with the Moto G series in the budget market (loved my Moto G4). It remains to be seen if Ford has done so with the Mach-E but it is great to see another automaker go all-in on one.

Reactions: MARKM3
It's true, but that's more a result of the direct to customer model, without a dealer as a middleman checking on the product from the factory, the customer becomes responsible for that. I'm pretty used to owning that process for all my other purchases, (computers, electronics, houses, decor). "Unwrapping" and checking the condition is pretty much the norm these days, and using that 30 day return policy if something isn't right.
That's not actually true, they don't just normally point you to the vehicle and say "let me know if you have any questions", they usually will assign someone to bring the vehicle to you, or you to the vehicle and then a short presentation of the features and functionality of the car. The only time this was 'altered' was end of the year rush when they instead invited prospective owners to the showroom beforehand to do this as they didn't think they'd have enough staff/time to do so individually.

And the return policy is 7 days not 30, and as others have mentioned here that if you leave with the vehicle without pointing out blemishes/flaws it can be harder to get them rectified quickly if at all.

Last edited:
To be clear I hope the Mach-E is a great car and I am not saying that it isnt. Just saying that it surpasses Tesla's is just stupid. Ford has never built an EV from the ground up. We can make a partial judgement on the Model Y based on the S, X and 3. Can you make a partial judgement on the Mach-E based on the Focus Electric?

Reactions: E Dizzle and MARKM3
No they dont. The S and X have controls on the screen and the steering column. Yes I do hate the Taycon layout. Why scatter the controls all over.
??? "...Lets put some on the wheel. Lets put some on the screen. Lets put some below the screen. Lets put some by the arm rest."
Both S and X have steering wheel controls, not to mention column stocks! The same thing with the armrests on both doors, the Ford center console isn't an "armrest" btw, and there isn't anything below the screen, just a dial on the screen. But then again, just as many people complained when the Model 3 did away with all of the above.

And Tesla does?

know anything about building successful EVs?

Yes.

Pretty obviously.

This past year over 3 of every 4 electrics bought in the US was a Tesla.

That is far more dominance in a segment than, say, Ford has in pickup trucks.

Tesla Gobbled Up 78% Of US Electric Vehicle Sales In 2019* | CleanTechnica

In the US in 2019 the Model 3 was #1 in sales among BEVs.

The Model X was #2.

The Bolt was #3.

NOTE- the Model 3 outsold the #2 bolt almost ten to one

(154,836 Model 3 versus 16,418 Bolts)

Or if you want to talk long term-
Cumulative sales of BEVs in the US by model as of end of 2019.

1. Tesla Model 3- 300,471 units
2. Tesla Model S- 157,992 units
3. Nissan LEAF- 141,907 units
4. Tesla Model X- 85,077 units
5. Chevy Bolt- 58,313 units.

Tesla is 3 of the top 4 best selling. Their #1 has over 50% more sales than the only 2 non-tesla entries on the list (and one of those has been on the market YEARS longer than the Model 3 has and remains way behind)

Last edited:
Why did you buy the car if it did not meet your expectations?

We have two Model 3’s and the fit and finish on both are flawless, btw.
Because Tesla is the only company that doesn't allow for test drives, doesn't have a long enough history for that model to verify "known issues" and they only give you 7 days to return it which means anything discovered thereafter means you have to fight them to get fixed or replaced. Your only other option is to sell it tbh.