Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E wins the NACTOY award

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
NACTOY Reveals Winners of the 2021 North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle™ of the Year - North American Car, Truck and Utility of the Year

This could be good for Tesla if this attracts more buyers to electric cars. I am concerned though about the Ford's game here. Technically the Mach-E is hardly competitive vs the Model Y on the higher end and the ID.4 on the lower end, and the availability of the Mach-E at least in this year isn't going to be great. Is Ford going to discredit EVs? What would success look like for Ford in 1-3 years? How can it impact Tesla? Is MY SR a Tesla's response to the Mach-E in lower price segment?
Any thoughts?

I think the exciting thing, for EVs, to keep in mind with stuff like the Mach-E and other legacy models, is for a lot of people that Mach-E will be their first EV experience. By all accounts the Mach-E sounds like a great and comfortable driving experience. I'm sure we all remember the first time we slipped in a Tesla and had that immediate feeling of how much driving this electric vehicle made gas vehicles feel prehistoric.

But Tesla is a small part of the market, without a big presence in most cities for test drives or even for visiting a lot to walk around and gawk at it. And a lot of people, for whatever reason, don't like Tesla's and will simply never bother. So for those people, when they go to look for their next vehicle and they're thinking about an Escape or Bronco Sport, they might think, "oh well...while we're here can we check out the new electric Mustang?" And for many of them, that test drive will be the thing to turn them off from ICE vehicles forever.

And that will still be a good thing for Tesla, and all other EVs, cause they'll go home and do some research, and maybe they'll fall in love with that Mustang they drove, or maybe they'll see the price point and range on a 3, or a Kia, and lean towards one of those, but their head will be firmly in the electric cloud.

when they go to look for their next vehicle and they're thinking about an Escape or Bronco Sport, they might think, "oh well...while we're here can we check out the new electric Mustang?" And for many of them, that test drive will be the thing to turn them off from ICE vehicles forever.

That would be great, but I am a little bit pessimistic about being able to test drive one anytime soon as Ford has only about 25,000 Mach-Es planned for the US market this year, which means it is less than 10 per Ford dealership for the entire year.

NACTOY Reveals Winners of the 2021 North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle™ of the Year - North American Car, Truck and Utility of the Year

This could be good for Tesla if this attracts more buyers to electric cars. I am concerned though about the Ford's game here. Technically the Mach-E is hardly competitive vs the Model Y on the higher end and the ID.4 on the lower end, and the availability of the Mach-E at least in this year isn't going to be great. Is Ford going to discredit EVs? What would success look like for Ford in 1-3 years? How can it impact Tesla? Is MY SR a Tesla's response to the Mach-E in lower price segment?
Any thoughts?
better than ICE - no problem - everyone can choose what they like -- great

So, Ford delivered about 3 Mach-Es last month with a big PR campaign trashing Tesla quality in process, and now they issue a stop-shipment order on all Mach-Es that, according to some publications, may delay deliveries by 60 days. The best joke I saw about it was that Mach-E deliveries are delayed because Home Depot was out of stock on wooden shims.

.... sigh ... and why am I not surprised?

I guess Ford won't sell 50,000 this year 2021 - can they do 20,000?
Model Y/3 2020 500,000.

Maybe next year Ford will compete with some Tesla Models?

Good questions. Mach-E monthly production is about 3000 units now, maybe slightly more in January. Technically, they probably could get close to 50,000 units, provided they can actually sell them to more people than the number of daily visitors of machEforum.

My impression from what is going on with Mach-E now is that Ford may actually send all produced cars back to the factory. We don't know what the problem is, but it is obviously so serious that, as it seems not a single Mach-E is currently in private hands (apart from 3 Xmas time PR Mach-Es), they estimate more than a month will be needed to resolve the problem. So, I guess they may stop or slow down production now before they resolve the issue.

I don't think Ford should actually worry about competing with Tesla. VW will be a more serious danger for Ford in the coming years. Ford is positioning Mach-E as a "more normal" vehicle than Tesla. You know who's positioning its cars as "normal"? VW! And ID.4 is at least as affordable as Ford. Our choice of Tesla was in part precisely because Tesla is NOT like any other car. We may be curious about the Mach-E but it would not be our first choice even if specs are the same.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
It's not unusual to see preproduction EVs running around NorCal, and not just Teslas.

Correct, major mfrs build hundreds of captured test fleet cars for testing prior to retail deliveries. These are distributed widely in the target market area. It is not unusual to see delays for changes during the CTF trials. The Mach-E is still in CTF testing. The initial quality spec is higher for Ford than most people think. It's very rare to get a factory defect today.