Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 75D vs MS 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had to take our new MX 75D to service and I got a MS 85 as loaner. I have to say after 150 miles with the MS, I really really missed the MX. I don't know if it is because the MX is newer or because it is heavier or because it is higher, but it just drives so much better. One thing I love about the MX is to feel the G-Force when I step on the gas. That feeling of you being push back to the seat is really cool. I can't do that with the MS 85 no matter how hard I tried. I looked up that the MS 85 has 0-60 around 5.3 sec? And the MX 75D is at 4.9 so they should be about the same speed. I checked and make sure I was not in Chill mode or anything.

Also the regen brake is super weak on the MS 85. It is set on Standard, but compare to the MX, I can barely feel the regen brake on the MS. Maybe it is because the MX is heavier? I really like that on MX, I almost never have to use the brake.

Another thing is the visibility. With the MX huge windshield, it is like you are in one of the Jurassic World moving ball where you could see everything around you. The MS is pretty much like a normal car.. a normal sport car that is very low.

Last thing has nothing to do with driving dynamics, but I really really miss the auto presenting door and auto close on the MX LOL. First world problem! When I first got the MS loaner.. I looked at the door handle that extended out and wonder what to do with it. I actually tried pushing on it to see if the door will auto open. :p

The loaner probably is speed/acceleration limited. Max speed is probably limited to 80 mph or 90 mph. Otherwise, the S should be more zippy due to it's lower weight and smaller frontal surface area. Not to mention, it should have much greater range too.

With regards to regen, make sure that regen is set to Standard, not Low.

Otherwise, I know exactly how you feel. I had a S100 loaner while my X.P90D was in service for 1 month. I had the exact same feelings as you. Was super happy to get my X back. Only thing I missed was the incredible range of the S.

This is one of the advantages of Tesla providing a different model as a loaner. Owners get the chance to experience the difference on an extended basis.

Few really cross shop Model S against Model X. While they are essentially the same chassis, the differences between the SUV and the Sedan are dramatic.

Was it a rwd Model S? I noticed something similar when I got a Model S 85 loaner. My 70D felt much quicker off the line. I believe they allow more initial torque in the D models because of the traction advantage of awd. But, the 85 had a lot better top end acceleration for passing on the highway, etc. I'd love to trade for a new 75D with the increased performance, but my car is still perfect. I just can't really justify the expense.

Was it a rwd Model S? I noticed something similar when I got a Model S 85 loaner. My 70D felt much quicker off the line. I believe they allow more initial torque in the D models because of the traction advantage of awd. But, the 85 had a lot better top end acceleration for passing on the highway, etc. I'd love to trade for a new 75D with the increased performance, but my car is still perfect. I just can't really justify the expense.

Yeah it is a RWD 85. Well I think it is RWD as it doesn't have the D after the 85. I don't know know which year but it has the old front with the black panel. When I feel the G force in the MX, it is going from 25mph to 65mph.. mostly turning into an on ramp to merge to the freeway. So I don't think it has to do with limiting speed. The MS gets there very fast too, but it doesn't give the push back to seat G force feeling. I looked up and saw that the MS 85 has a max torque of 325 lb-ft where the MX 75D has a max torque of 387 lb-ft. So I was wondering if that's why I felt the G in the MX and not the MS.

And for the Regen question, both MX and MS was set to Standard. With the MX, all I have to do is take my foot off the accel padel about 2 cars length from the light and it will come to a complete stop. With the MS it will roll all the way pass the intersection if I don't use the brake.

Also I have to set the MS steering wheel to Sport and now it is similar to the MX steering wheel at Standard.

Yeah it is a RWD 85. Well I think it is RWD as it doesn't have the D after the 85. I don't know know which year but it has the old front with the black panel. When I feel the G force in the MX, it is going from 25mph to 65mph.. mostly turning into an on ramp to merge to the freeway. So I don't think it has to do with limiting speed. The MS gets there very fast too, but it doesn't give the push back to seat G force feeling. I looked up and saw that the MS 85 has a max torque of 325 lb-ft where the MX 75D has a max torque of 387 lb-ft. So I was wondering if that's why I felt the G in the MX and not the MS.

And for the Regen question, both MX and MS was set to Standard. With the MX, all I have to do is take my foot off the accel padel about 2 cars length from the light and it will come to a complete stop. With the MS it will roll all the way pass the intersection if I don't use the brake.

Also I have to set the MS steering wheel to Sport and now it is similar to the MX steering wheel at Standard.
I have tried both MS 85 loaner and MX 90D. The 85 felt much faster, especially at higher speeds. Like you said the speed limiter shouldn't affect acceleration. You sure it's not in Valet Mode?

I have tried both MS 85 loaner and MX 90D. The 85 felt much faster, especially at higher speeds. Like you said the speed limiter shouldn't affect acceleration. You sure it's not in Valet Mode?

Hmmm, I don't know how to check Valet Mode. I thought I look thru all the screens and didn't see anything obvious. Oh and the other thing is .. the MS does not have summon! I actually had to back the car out of the garage myself this morning.... LOL. ;)

Just a quick update. Now that I have put another 100 miles or so on the MS loaner, I figured out what went wrong on the acceleration. It was an user error. I thought I have pressed the pedal all the way down, but the MS pedal is stiffer and have a further hard stop than the MX. Now I got the throw back feeling when I actually press the pedal all the way down to the end. I drove my coworker this morning in the MS and he said it felt faster than his Corvette.

Reactions: Olle
By now I have close to 1000 miles on the loaner MS and over 900 miles on autopilot. If I don't get my MX in a few days, I will have more miles put on the loaner than my own car LOL. Although the MX is really my wife's car so when we get the MX back, I will have to go back to drive my ICE car. My wife didn't want to drive the MS because it is a loaner, so I got to play with it.

By now I love everything about the MS except the seat. I think it is a gen 1 seat? (2014) It is kind of flat, very slippery, and doesn't have much cushion. The new seat (Gen 2?) hugs you on the sides, soft, and not slippery. Also the lack of bigger cupholder is a problem. The 2 cupholders on the top don't fit bigger cups. The MS doesn't have a center console with the bigger cupholders. Also there is no cupholders in the back at all.

Many service centers do not have the full capability of their loaners set, and they are governed to 85mph.

Yes, I forgot to mention, I did found out that my loaner MS is in valet mode or whatever it is that limited speed to 85mph. :p I only hit that twice so far since most of the time I was in autopilot. Oh and AP1 limit is 80mph. I am not sure if that's a limit of the valet mode or AP1 or autopilot in general. 80mph limit is good for my commute, but I can see that it will be a problem on long trips when you are in the middle of no where on a straight road.