Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Holiday easter egg not starting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched and found a few people with similar problems but I can't seem to find an answer.

Everytime I try to star the holiday easter egg show on my 18 mx, it rolls down the windows then turns on the front headlights and that's it. No music, doors, flashing. Nothing. Just windows down.

I have tried rebooting, I have tried flat open parking lots, I have tried long pressing the keyfob, I have tried disabling the rear child door locks. I have no idea what to do but I REALLY want to show my 5 year old this trick.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wish I new. I had this happen on a trip around Lake Michigan and I was going to show some folks. It did pretty much what you said. I rebooted and no change. The next time I got service done I mentioned it and they said they tried it a few times and it worked.

He literally got his piggy bank, and gave me $0.17 out of it. "So I could buy a Tesla" and he really wanted to see the holiday show.

Thats super cute :)

I get that it's frustrating, especially having kids who want to see it... I'm actually fed up people asking me to make my car dance thus far ive refused and only attempted it once then a second both failed and after that i was like "never again"

A number of people have post about it not working and being linked to an old software update but i think thats mostly fixed. Maybe visit the SC and ask them to show you it working, they have no reason to lie but then again they are busy and could be fobbing you off if it fails in front of them they have to offer a solution

So far I have not had a problem, but it is kind of twitchy. I start it up, run out of the car, lock it up (I am just using a single press on the top of the key fob now) and then wait.....wait..... if it does not start up, then I try it again and it eventually starts up. Cant be near a curb, cannot be near anyone, I just run to the front of the car....

The Christmas Light Show breaks about every 4th firmware update. Other posters have already shared the “tricks” to get it going (you might also try starting it with the windows already down), but I would guess it’s the FW. In which case the only solution is to wait.

I just got 12.1 and haven’t tried it yet. It’s a great show for kids of course, but I’ve yet to meet an adult who didn’t crack a big smile too. :)

Reactions: scottf200
Dear collective wisdom, Big Muskiman and I live in Pleasanton, CA and we are members of the Pleasanton Tesla Model X club. We are both sidelined now because our Holiday Dance on our respective machines are now failing to work. Both of ours play through the first stanza of "Wizards in Winter" and then they crash and choke and stop at the second stanza when the FWD are supposed to rise- it appears that our doors start to rise, and then beep a warning and then stop.

My car spent three days in the service center and it was reported that the door sensor came loose and had to be reanchored and the cabling fastened down. They said it worked, but when I got it home, the same thing happened (seems to be on the driver's side). It is now back in the shop for another three days.

Same thing happened to Big Muskiman but the ranger came out, did diagnostics and said the sensor was bad and replaced it. He then had two successful runs and then it failed again. Now it stops in the same spot as mine.

We are both humiliated in our neighborhoods and community- the neighborhood kids and local police plead with us "make your car dance like it did" and we cannot. We no longer have the power.

It seemed to me that it was picky at one time.... mostly on a flat or only slight inclined surface, suspension should be not low, and no structures overhead or within about 10 feed of the doors.

Have others had this problem or are we the only ones? If you have had this problem in the past, what fixed it?

Mike P

I was scheduled for SC next week, but got new software last night. My xmas show is 2/2 so far today. It might be luck, but perhaps there is a hardware/software relation going on. Mobile ranger replace my driver-side FWD obstacle sensor a few weeks ago, but it did not fix the show for long. Testing continues.......o_O

old |v2020.32.3|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|
new |v2020.36.3.1|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|

OK, the Holiday Show is now working after two 3-4 day visits to the service center. First time they reattached the sensors that came loose and reanchored the cables to it and it worked for them, but not for me. So I brought it back a few weeks later for a variety of options and after consultation with BigMskiman, told them that the drivers side FWD sensor was bad.... and it the due process of things, replaced the sensor, and now it works... but I need to test it again.

Have to find some neighborhood kids to frighten again... in the daytime.

OK, so the holiday show ran twice successfully and then when I took it out to scare the kids, it failed again, It has now failed 4/6 tries, same problem, errors out at the driver's side FWD. Back to the service center again for another 2-3 days for repair. Again. Sigh.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
OK, so the holiday show ran twice successfully and then when I took it out to scare the kids, it failed again, It has now failed 4/6 tries, same problem, errors out at the driver's side FWD. Back to the service center again for another 2-3 days for repair. Again. Sigh.
Hi, sorry for bringing back the old thread, but my 2018 MX has started behaving the exact same way as you described - FWD starts moving up and immediately fails. Have you finally fixed it?

I have taken the car back to the service center about 4-5 times for the problem and they have done a variety of things- most of the time the car seems to detect an false obstruction and stops the show and beeps and errors out. So they have repositioned and replaced the door sensors, and repositioned the door and it works for a while and then stops. Most of the problem seems to be on the driver’s side FWD and I have found that it stops at the beginning of the second stanza when the door unlatches and starts to rise. Rarely does it happen on the passenger side.

What I have done is position myself behind the driver’s side FWD and when the second stanza starts and the door pops open, I gently pry the door up and it seems to overcome excess resistance and both doors then rise and the show goes on. If the neighbor kids want to see the car “dance” I position one at each door and show them how to gently pull up on both sides and then run to the front to watch the show. There is nothing like audience participation to enhance the show.

Mike P