Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX w/AP2 and Free SC or M3P? Help me pick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the Tesla experts here, I figured I’d get some opinions to help me decide. I need two cars in my household, about to buy either a used MX or new M3P. Unfortunately, I’m not ready to own two Tesla’s just yet. So, one of my cars has to stay.

Here are two setups, which would you choose?

Setup A -
Car 1: 2017 MX 90D, 20k miles, AP2, free unlimited supercharging, very clean.

Car 2: Keep my 2011 Lexus GS

Setup B: -
Car 1: New Model 3P

Car 2: Keep my big dog 2016 Infiniti QX80 Fully loaded with 24k miles.

If you don’t mind, please pick A or B. Thanks in advance!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Which car gets driven the higher # of miles/year? Replace that one. :)

Seriously, a Performance Model 3 will increase your happiness level significantly. I have an X and a 3 (non-P for both). They're both great cars but the 3 is head-and-shoulders more fun to drive.

Reactions: ChadS and gangzoom
Which car gets driven the higher # of miles/year? Replace that one. :)

Seriously, a Performance Model 3 will increase your happiness level significantly. I have an X and a 3 (non-P for both). They're both great cars but the 3 is head-and-shoulders more fun to drive.

Thanks for your reply. Currently, the Lexus gets more miles because it’s better on gas. Whichever Tesla I choose will result in the ICE only going 500-700 miles a month and the new Tesla going about 2000 miles a month. MX’d having unlimited supercharging and AP2 are very rare and why I’m having a hard time deciding. Thanks!

There's alot of factors here....
1. Have you thought about supercharging and whether you'll actually utilize SC often enough? I have friends who have unlimited supercharging and have used it less than 5000 total miles since ownership (>4 years of use and counting).
2. How big is the family?
3. Long road trips or not really?
4. You looking for a fun to drive car or family vehicle replacement?

There's a multitude more questions but I think answering the above will help point you to the right direction. Likewise, take a test-drive in both and see what works for you more. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way...

Two very different cars. The X has amazing views and easy entry, the 3 is faster and tighter handling and more efficient.

If you like long family roadtrips, take the X - it's possibly the best roadtrip vehicle out there.

If you want a fast car for commuting, there is little that's better than a P3D.

Most likely, the other car will end up sitting even more than you think - most folks hate going back to ICE after they've driven the Tesla for a while. I guess that's an argument for the X, since it can presumably do everything either car can do, while you might need the extra space of the QX80 sometimes.

There's alot of factors here....
1. Have you thought about supercharging and whether you'll actually utilize SC often enough? I have friends who have unlimited supercharging and have used it less than 5000 total miles since ownership (>4 years of use and counting).
2. How big is the family?
3. Long road trips or not really?
4. You looking for a fun to drive car or family vehicle replacement?

There's a multitude more questions but I think answering the above will help point you to the right direction. Likewise, take a test-drive in both and see what works for you more. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way...

1. I have several super chargers in my area and plan to use them very often. For example: I go to target once a week, and I’ll use it there while I shop. I have a Tesla dealership a half mile away from home and will definitely use it there too. One near church as well.

2. Two adults and two young adult children with their significant others and we go out together frequently.

3. No long road trips. Maybe one or two a year but it would be just my wife, my dog and me.

4. In a perfect world, I get both. Currently the family vehicle gets 500-700 miles a month max. The Lexus gets 1500 a month. Im guessing that which car I get will get 2000 miles a month and the other won’t get 100.

Keep in mind that local Supercharging at a Target might be more difficult than you think. You can't just plug it in and come back when you're done shopping. You'll need to unplug when the charge finishes. If you're not very low on charge when you pull in, it won't take long at all.

Yes that’s correct. So which one would you choose?
Funny you should ask. We actually have owned 8 Teslas (4 Model S, 3 Model 3 and a Model X) but are back down to just 3 cars. I chose the S as my daily driver. Each of the Tesla models has its benefits. I prefer the S or X for road trips but we don't have kids (just dogs) and didn't need the extra space so it was kind of inefficient driving the X around town with just one person it in.

We had a rare 2016 AP 2 Model S that had free transferable Supercharging and sold it a few months ago to someone specifically looking for AP2 and FUSC. A 2017 Model X with free transferable Supercharging would be even more rare and desirable to those looking for AP2 (which can be upgraded to AP3) and free Supercharging. If you need the room for the family and can use the free lifetime Supercharging, then go for it since they aren't making any more of them. Also, the Model X is still going to be very powerful compared to your ICE cars so you won't have to worry about accelerating to pass/merge/etc.

If you're going to do most of your driving alone or shorter trips (with shorter kids) then the Model 3 would probably still be a good choice. I have been on a road trip in a 3 and it was efficient but it lacks rear seat leg room and we didn't have free Supercharging so we had to pay something like $12.

I think everyone will have a different opinion depending on their needs. Hopefully the posts above help you figure out what is right for you!

Ah...just saw your post about adult kids and few road trips. I guess just remember that FUSC is going away and won't be coming back...so the number of cars that have it will get smaller and smaller. They make new Model 3s without it every day. We never use the free Supercharging around town. It's easier to just charge at home for "free" with our solar panels. I've never even charged at the closest Supercharger but have used Supercharge for thousands of miles on road trips from California to Kansas and will be using them to drive to Canada for free next year.

Funny you should ask. We actually have owned 8 Teslas (3 Model S, 4 Model 3 and a Model X) but are back down to just 3 cars. I chose the S as my daily driver. Each of the Tesla models has its benefits. I prefer the S or X for road trips but we don't have kids (just dogs) and didn't need the extra space so it was kind of inefficient driving the X around town with just one person it in.

We had a rare 2016 AP 2 Model S that had free transferable Supercharging and sold it a few months ago to someone specifically looking for AP2 and FUSC. A 2017 Model X with free transferable Supercharging would be even more rare and desirable to those looking for AP2 (which can be upgraded to AP3) and free Supercharging. If you need the room for the family and can use the free lifetime Supercharging, then go for it since they aren't making any more of them. Also, the Model X is still going to be very powerful compared to your ICE cars so you won't have to worry about accelerating to pass/merge/etc.

If you're going to do most of your driving alone or shorter trips (with shorter kids) then the Model 3 would probably still be a good choice. I have been on a road trip in a 3 and it was efficient but it lacks rear seat leg room and we didn't have free Supercharging so we had to pay something like $12.

I think everyone will have a different opinion depending on their needs. Hopefully the posts above help you figure out what is right for you!

Ah...just saw your post about adult kids and few road trips. I guess just remember that FUSC is going away and won't be coming back...so the number of cars that have it will get smaller and smaller. They make new Model 3s without it every day. We never use the free Supercharging around town. It's easier to just charge at home for "free" with our solar panels. I've never even charged at the closest Supercharger but have used Supercharge for thousands of miles on road trips from California to Kansas and will be using them to drive to Canada for free next year.

I’m going with rare X. Thank you and everyone for your excellent feedback!

Keep in mind that local Supercharging at a Target might be more difficult than you think. You can't just plug it in and come back when you're done shopping. You'll need to unplug when the charge finishes. If you're not very low on charge when you pull in, it won't take long at all.
Does the supercharger state how long the charge will take?

With all the Tesla experts here, I figured I’d get some opinions to help me decide. I need two cars in my household, about to buy either a used MX or new M3P. Unfortunately, I’m not ready to own two Tesla’s just yet. So, one of my cars has to stay.

Here are two setups, which would you choose?

Setup A -
Car 1: 2017 MX 90D, 20k miles, AP2, free unlimited supercharging, very clean.

Car 2: Keep my 2011 Lexus GS

Setup B: -
Car 1: New Model 3P

Car 2: Keep my big dog 2016 Infiniti QX80 Fully loaded with 24k miles.

If you don’t mind, please pick A or B. Thanks in advance!
I’d say B if you don’t do big miles. A if you do.

Reactions: DCruz72
I might go with the 3 if the number of trips with extra passengers is small. Otherwise the X. Can't go wrong either way, but I prefer the 3 around town.

Be aware that 2017's might have free Supercharging only for the first owner. That was when Tesla started screwing around with free Supercharging. Our March 2017 X came without FUSC until Tesla changed their minds and gave everyone FUSC for as long as they own the car, as well as a couple other variations I think. If I sell the X it will not have FUSC for the new owner.

I might go with the 3 if the number of trips with extra passengers is small. Otherwise the X. Can't go wrong either way, but I prefer the 3 around town.

Be aware that 2017's might have free Supercharging only for the first owner. That was when Tesla started screwing around with free Supercharging. Our March 2017 X came without FUSC until Tesla changed their minds and gave everyone FUSC for as long as they own the car, as well as a couple other variations I think. If I sell the X it will not have FUSC for the new owner.
Yeah, hopefully the OP was able to confirm it does have transferable Supercharging. Any car ordered in the first two weeks of 2017 would have that, even if they weren't delivered until several months later. It would be quite rare to find one but they do exist!

2. Two adults and two young adult children with their significant others and we go out together frequently.

Model X without a second thought, as a family car it really cannot be beaten, its like a play room in the back with 6 seater config.

The 3 will be better to drive, but if you do most of your driving with the family no one is going to moan about going in the X.

Though I think you really cannot choose between the two, having both is surely the only answer - Which I hope we'll have soon :)

48395616702_8efcc81495_c.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
What is the maximum monetary value of the free unlimited supercharging? It is probably much less than you think. Im also in the camp that believes that too much supercharging is just not good for the batteries. Supercharging is mainly for trips, occasional use but not regular use.

Secondly, we have an X100D and the rear seat simply has zero storage for anything. Our kids are teenagers so they actually prefer going in the 3 because it has door pockets and an armrest.