Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY’s shape kinda wierd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one on order but am thinking of changing to X after the battery day. Have a M3 already and need an SUV. The Few Y’s I have seen (red, blur, and white) on the road look just kinda wierd, white being the most normal looking. The feeing is best described as basically stretching M3 artificially higher. Height and width ratio looks off. Cannot shake the feeling off every time I see one on the road. X and M3 both look more natural. Did you, as owners of Y, go through this before and get used to the shape?

Well, either you like it or you don’t.

Here’s the Y and X side by side from the back.

EE66E3C8-5728-4C8E-AC24-B13CC6174857.jpeg
EE66E3C8-5728-4C8E-AC24-B13CC6174857.jpeg

There are more pictures online of them side by side.

I think it looks just fine. It is exactly what it is intended to be.

The Few Y’s I have seen (red, blur, and white) on the road look just kinda wierd, white being the most normal looking. The feeing is best described as basically stretching M3 artificially higher. Height and width ratio looks off. Cannot shake the feeling off every time I see one on the road. X and M3 both look more natural. Did you, as owners of Y, go through this before and get used to the shape?
I do not own a Y, however I could not but recognize my feelings about the X when I first saw it. Compared to the S it looked to me much as you describe seeing the Y now. I still think the S is the best looking Tesla, but I am a happy owner of an X.

Funny, I think the Y looks great and more proportional than the 3. The 3 has relatively odd proportions for a sedan, with a tall greenhouse and awkward rear end and trunk. It had to grow on my but now I really appreciate and like the design. The Y, to me, has more conventional crossover proportions and I liked it right away.

I love all Tesla designs though. I don’t mind the subtle quirkiness.

Reactions: decrypt
I think the perceived awkwardness of the Y comes from the fact that the design is a carbon copy of the 3 projected onto a crossover. That’s hard to process initially; it messes with your mind. Proportionally, it’s not awkward though.

I have one on order but am thinking of changing to X after the battery day. Have a M3 already and need an SUV. The Few Y’s I have seen (red, blur, and white) on the road look just kinda wierd, white being the most normal looking. The feeing is best described as basically stretching M3 artificially higher. Height and width ratio looks off. Cannot shake the feeling off every time I see one on the road. X and M3 both look more natural. Did you, as owners of Y, go through this before and get used to the shape?
Unless you're planning on waiting for the redesign of S and X, it won't make a lick of difference with battery day.

I'm just not one to decide based on looks so much....to a point sure, but mostly don't care about that. That said, I actually think the 3 looks much more sporty and much more purposeful....like it was meant to be I guess.

I like the Y but I agree it is a bit odd looking at the same time. Honestly I think it looks better than the x though....but if money were no object I'd likely go for the x over the Y just because it has the two screens, larger middle screen, higher towing capacity, etc.... just more capable.

Reactions: jb401
OP is correct, the Y's proportions are off. But the X's are worse. S is the best looking Tesla followed by the 3. I still think the Y is better looking than any current BMW or Audi. Porsche and Mercedes are on a tear design-wise and no Tesla stands up to those portfolios.

Personally, I love the back of my Y, hate the roof line and the front...but coming from an ICE car, the thing is a frigging spaceship, holds my kids and all their stuff and absolutely rips when I mash the right pedal. It's also more comfortable than all the BMWs I've owned and Elon driving for me in traffic is fantastic. Recently did a 2,000-mile road trip and it was a dream.

This is to say, looks are in the middle of the list of considerations for a Y. And, looks considered, I'd still have my issue-riddled Y over a comparable Merc or Porsche.
MVIMG_20200613_112613.jpg

Though I have an order on Y, I wish Tesla had done a slightly different design on Y to make it stand out a bit differently from 3. BTW, I think they should have done the new design with X as well, as it looks vertically stretched version of S.

OP is correct, the Y's proportions are off. But the X's are worse. S is the best looking Tesla followed by the 3. I still think the Y is better looking than any current BMW or Audi. Porsche and Mercedes are on a tear design-wise and no Tesla stands up to those portfolios.

Personally, I love the back of my Y, hate the roof line and the front...but coming from an ICE car, the thing is a frigging spaceship, holds my kids and all their stuff and absolutely rips when I mash the right pedal. It's also more comfortable than all the BMWs I've owned and Elon driving for me in traffic is fantastic. Recently did a 2,000-mile road trip and it was a dream.

This is to say, looks are in the middle of the list of considerations for a Y. And, looks considered, I'd still have my issue-riddled Y over a comparable Merc or Porsche. View attachment 568976

Everyone takes pictures of it from that angle but it doesn't look like that in person. This is what that angle hides. It's looks short and round in person.

tesla-model-y-performance-review-motortrend-1024x458.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-8.18.41-AM.jpg

model-y-interior-review.jpg

The rear angles show the MY the best. I'm not a fan of the 3/Y front end cap, never was. I really like the S/X front end with the cutout shaped like a T

I like this front end:
Ascension Front Fascia System for Tesla Model 3

MY with the Geminis don't look "sporty" at all, and to me aren't appealing at all. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes....

I ordered a white with inductions, but I really like the Martian wheels over the Inductions.

I do not own a Y, however I could not but recognize my feelings about the X when I first saw it. Compared to the S it looked to me much as you describe seeing the Y now. I still think the S is the best looking Tesla, but I am a happy owner of an X.
I would’ve loved to have gotten X over the S except the wife didn’t like the look of the X. I think the S looks great but a proper X is fantastic. I wanted a black with 22s and white interior—the perfect Tesla to me.

Hate to break it to you but...Most everyone who doesn’t know Tesla thinks they’re ugly. Or just.... basic.

They used to remind me of the Honda lineup.

Then I drove one.
Then I drove one longer
Then I owned one

The whole experience colors the perception

The only Tesla I’ve never been in (X) is the one I think is the ugliest.
I don’t think that’s an accident
I doubt I could have a P100D experience and ever think it was ugly again

Attachments

• E0637F64-95F2-48B6-AD6D-4450767F8C00.jpeg
    E0637F64-95F2-48B6-AD6D-4450767F8C00.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 57