Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a U.S. Juniper Y launch in the next 6 months is likely, due to the fact that the Model 3 and Model Y have always shared over 50% of their parts. The parts suppliers for the Highland 3 have been in mass production for over 6 months now in Asia and now the U.S., so Tesla could migrate the Y to Juniper to leverage the common parts supply between 3 and Y, while simultaneously getting a bunch of new orders from all the people who drove the Model 3 Highland and are now waiting for the Y Refresh. Tesla could even start the early Y testing on the production lines in Austin, while Fremont continues to churn out the current Y in high numbers.
This hasn’t been an issue for them historically.

A lot of the shared components are under the skin which largely haven’t changed. And most of the visual changes are stuff that were already different between 3/Y.

Juniper is definitely releasing in North America by Q1-Q2 2025.

Tesla is aware of the fact that people are holding out for the refresh, especially after seeing the refreshed 3. They even had to release a statement stating that there was "no Model Y refresh coming this year to North America" due to the amount of people holding out. I doubt Tesla wants to wait any longer than they need to. I personally know two other people that are waiting to for the refreshed Y before buying one, and I'm sure that there are many others doing the same (myself included).

Juniper is definitely releasing in North America by Q1-Q2 2025.

Tesla is aware of the fact that people are holding out for the refresh, especially after seeing the refreshed 3. They even had to release a statement stating that there was "no Model Y refresh coming this year to North America" due to the amount of people holding out. I doubt Tesla wants to wait any longer than they need to. I personally know two other people that are waiting to for the refreshed Y before buying one, and I'm sure that there are many others doing the same (myself included).
I am also holding out and will wait to 26 if need be, nothing wrong with our low milage 2020. Maybe start a poll, could be interesting to say the least.

I am also holding out and will wait to 26 if need be, nothing wrong with our low milage 2020. Maybe start a poll, could be interesting to say the least.
They are still selling plenty of MYs so lots of people are NOT holding out, self included. I did hold out for HW4, but got tired of waiting for Juniper - and you can't know what the prices will be when it comes. I got a VERY low price, without giving up much that mattered to me. YMMV

Reactions: OCR1 and navguy12
They are still selling plenty of MYs so lots of people are NOT holding out, self included. I did hold out for HW4, but got tired of waiting for Juniper - and you can't know what the prices will be when it comes. I got a VERY low price, without giving up much that mattered to me. YMMV
If we take a look at the pricing for Highland, we should see something similar for Juniper. Plus, Juniper is supposed to be more cost effective to product for Tesla. Pricing shouldn't change much if at all.

As for people holding out, I'm sure there's a good amount of them considering the Q1 numbers.

I want to hold out, but with a baby due in November, I want to get the Y before that happens.

I'll be bummed to miss it by months since its my wife's car, and she will want to keep it for 8-10 years.
I don’t know if the end of Q1 deals will be back in June but if they are and you can take advantage of both the tax credit and a big inventory discount, I’d go for the current model. Prices were so low in March that I had no problem going with the current model. I would not want one of the first Juniper models to roll off the line and I anticipate there will be no discounting for the first six months. So you might be waiting a long time, especially if they don’t begin deliveries until Q2 2025.

Reactions: Park2670
For the people that are holding out, which aspect of the refresh seems that critical to you? Or is it that you hate not having the most recent? Personally, I’d be reluctant to buy an early refresh model. I’d much rather have the last iteration of the previous version.

For the people that are holding out, which aspect of the refresh seems that critical to you? Or is it that you hate not having the most recent? Personally, I’d be reluctant to buy an early refresh model. I’d much rather have the last iteration of the previous version.
The main things I'm looking for in the Juniper Y compared to the current 2024 Y are all the same things found in the Highland Model 3:
- More comfortable suspension. Current Y has a rough ride on bumpy city streets, although it's fine on smooth suburban streets and highways.
- Quieter cabin at highway speeds.
- Improved exterior looks, need to remove the front upper lip.
- Higher resale value for Juniper Y, even though it costs the same to buy as the current Y.
- 2nd row touchscreen for kids.
- Slightly nicer interior.
- Cooled front seats.
- Juniper Performance Model Y even faster than current Performance Y, with updated track mode.

Have only seen a few Highlands on the road but my oh my do they look nice. A huge improvement over the previous model in my personal opinion.

I am almost certain there will be quite a few easter eggs announced when the Y actually revealed. Tesla has already gone through the teething pains of what people want and the giga press in the last 4 years. We got or Y in the first year of release, 2020. They kept on improving the features on a what seems like quarterly basis for close to 2 years mainly because they were not offering what people wanted most and realized it should be part of the car. Computers will always get old no matter what, offering things like heated steering wheels, heated wiper rest windshield, improved and reliable HVAC system, improved paint and methods of application, superior hepa filtration and dozens of other improvements are now standard across the board and will only continue to be provided in a newer model. Their goal should be to provide what people want in the car which is what they have accomplished and the rest come as OTA updates that tend to surprise us all time and time again. It's not a completely new difficult design like the cybertruck which is causing and will continue to cause headaches for the next few years or so before they finally get it to where it should be.

Have only seen a few Highlands on the road but my oh my do they look nice. A huge improvement over the previous model in my personal opinion.

I am almost certain there will be quite a few easter eggs announced when the Y actually revealed. Tesla has already gone through the teething pains of what people want and the giga press in the last 4 years. We got or Y in the first year of release, 2020. They kept on improving the features on a what seems like quarterly basis for close to 2 years mainly because they were not offering what people wanted most and realized it should be part of the car. Computers will always get old no matter what, offering things like heated steering wheels, heated wiper rest windshield, improved and reliable HVAC system, improved paint and methods of application, superior hepa filtration and dozens of other improvements are now standard across the board and will only continue to be provided in a newer model. Their goal should be to provide what people want in the car which is what they have accomplished and the rest come as OTA updates that tend to surprise us all time and time again. It's not a completely new difficult design like the cybertruck which is causing and will continue to cause headaches for the next few years or so before they finally get it to where it should be.
That's known as iterative development. Pretty common place in tech sectors. Agile lean delivery is adopted by main stream orgs for nimbleness through iterative improvements. Not so great for those who expect perfection at the start. However it is great for end users towards the end of the dev cycle.