Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My $33K Model 3 ;)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $35K Model 3 is available. At least that is what I told my wife.

$54K OTD, M3 (only addition is blue paint)
-7.5K tax credit
-15K gas savings (18K miles per year, previous vehicle was 18 MPG, at $3 a gallon)
+3K for electricity
+$1K for charger installation
-2.5K in registration/plates savings (in AZ, no emission vehicle plates are $125 for 5 years vs. a comparable car at $500-900 a year)

Net Price of $33K

If you want the performance model, tell your wife, I mean factor in the maintenance savings :)

Let's say the value of the 5 year old M3 is $25K, net cost to own is about $1.6K per year. If the value is $30K, cost goes down to $50 a month.

My wives expedition has cost me 8x that much.

*I did end up getting autopilot, so I will have to figure out a way to make that free as well. Less wear and tear on the tires, better efficiency?

-7.5K tax credit
-15K gas savings (18K miles per year, previous vehicle was 18 MPG, at $3 a gallon)
+3K for electricity
-2.5K in registration/plates savings (in AZ, no emission vehicle plates are $125 for 5 years vs. a comparable car at $500-900 a year)

Net Price of $33K

If you want the performance model, tell your wife, I mean factor in the maintenance savings :)

Let's say the value of the 5 year old M3 is $25K, net cost to own is about $1.6K per year. If the value is $30K, cost goes down to $50 a month.

*I did end up getting autopilot, so I will have to figure out a way to make that free as well. Less wear and tear on the tires, better efficiency?

Here is a TIP to essentially to get the entire car for free* like me.. which is buy and sell the Tesla stock by riding the waves. I have done it 3 times , in 3 months so far, with $5K profit each time and waiting to do it the 4th time (just got it yesterday).. with constant up's/dn's and best product in the world and the great visionary leader along with the Twitter.. its a gold pot. :) I'm long and true believer in Tesla and it's future but at the same time not too stupid given how everything happening lately. Hopefully, my M3D should be free in another 4-5 months if the trend continues. Some fans might fume and flame me but let's not ignore the facts the opportunities present. I used to get frustrated when the brokerage A/C goes RED every so often with Tesla stock and then decided to flip the situation on my end while still supporting the cause.

*(Off course, someone needs to have reasonable amount of funds in place to trade)

Last edited:
Here is a TIP to essentially to get the entire car for free* like me.. which is buy and sell the Tesla stock by riding the waves. I have done it 3 times , in 3 months so far, with $5K profit each time and waiting to do it the 4th time (just got it yesterday).. with constant up's/dn's and best product in the world and the great visionary leader along with the Twitter.. its a gold pot. :) I'm long and true believer in Tesla and it's future but at the same time not too stupid given how everything happening lately. Hopefully, my M3D should be free in another 4-5 months if the trend continues. Some fans might fume and flame me but let's not ignore the facts the opportunities present. I used to get frustrated when the brokerage A/C goes RED every so often with Tesla stock and then decided to flip the situation on my end while still supporting the cause.

*(Off course, someone needs to have reasonable amount of funds in place to trade)
Timing swing trading is hard and most people get it wrong, but full credit to anyone who can do it.

Timing swing trading is hard and most people get it wrong, but full credit to anyone who can do it.

Agreed and I wouldn't recommend it either. Since I'm long and spending considerable amount of time tracking Tesla for the past several months , taking the chance to reduce the financial risk and frustration. I might play with it for few more times in Q4 and then after that will just stay put like I was for a while. Tesla is truly at a pivotal point outside of these unnecessary self inflicted #@@##. My strategy lately is pretty simple, get out around $300-$310 and get in again around $270 and below as it swings with in this limit for the most part.

I don't like to rationalize my way into thinking that a car cost less than it actually did. I know what my monthly payments are, and they are the sort of payments that a $50K car has.

I don't go around saying "The car was 50, BUT I'll save X on electric and get X back in a refund and save X and get X and more X and so on.....".

It's good that it works out that way, though.

-7.5K tax credit
+3K for electricity

Net Price of $33K

You need to factor in higher insurance rate. But, I guess your wife may not be aware of that. So, kudo to you for not putting in the cost factor :)

BTW, I am in Chandler, very close to you. If you need a licensed electrician to install the charging outlet for $300, PM me.

You forgot. Performance.

Performance + $10k
FreeSuperCharging - $4k (over 10 years used half the time)

Free Supercharge might be back to push things for this quarter. Who knows. Or other incentives.

Resale value with Performance option ($5k)

I’m still working on the math for that $1k left.

I don’t think you can justify the 20” wheel package though.

Oh as far as Autopilot justification.

The upgrades over the next few years will keep you busy/distracted enough to not spend money on other upgrades and big boys toys. So you will save money in the long run.

P.S. My wife is the best wife on the planet. And she knew exactly what I was doing. Can’t get anything past her. She knows it’s 50% toy.

You need to factor in higher insurance rate. But, I guess your wife may not be aware of that. So, kudo to you for not putting in the cost factor :)

BTW, I am in Chandler, very close to you. If you need a licensed electrician to install the charging outlet for $300, PM me.

After shopping around my insurance went DOWN, a lot, with more coverage. Prices for Model 3 varied, wildly.

P.S. Charging outlet could be as little as $200 and as high as $2000 or more, it all depends where they want the access, what the panel looks like, how far the run is. Maybe they want 60 Amp at a detached garage 200 ft away from panel and $1000 is a bargain. Or a 30 Amp behind the Service panel because the garage is on the other side. Budgeting $1000 is quite reasonable without knowing the requirements. Also what amperage is wanted can affect cost a lot. A 60 Amp might require a new service panel.

Get your plates and registration before the end of the year in Arizona and make it for 5 years! There will be no incentive after the first of the year. Thanks to a Mesa Republican who wrote the bill, and a Republican Governor who signed it, that incentive has been taken away.

-7.5K tax credit
+3K for electricity

Net Price of $33K

I need to do that to justify it to MYSELF! thanks for the motivation

• Disagree
Reactions: ArizonaP85