Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY accelerated on it’s own!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it's not unique to Tesla, or even a modern car. I've had the throttle cable stick on my '76 MGB which causes the engine to rev 'on it's own'. Fortunately, pushing the clutch out stops forward motion - but if you had an automatic trans, you'd have to use the brakes to stop. And the brakes should ALWAYS be able to overcome the forward motion if pressed quickly enough.

:rolleyes:

The NHTSA recently cleared Tesla on unintended acceleration investigation (Tesla cleared in NHTSA investigation over claims of 'sudden acceleration'). I think it was originally launched by a TSLA shorter/FUDster.

It really doesn’t matter - as long as the computer has the ability to fully control the car then it also (potentially) has the ability to accelerate without the driver pressing the gas pedal.

I’m not ignoring the possibility that the original poster may have been at fault, but you can’t simply say “it’s impossible that the car did it.”

I only have basic AP and it was not on. Car set up to hold. Stopped at a stop sign and the car after stopping fully and holding then took off at medium acceleration on its own. Foot was not on a pedal. It was scary and I hit the break right away after a few feet. It stopped in middle of intersection which luckily was empty.

I have the car on the latest update (.9) that reintroduced the vision park assist.

I will let Tesla know but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this?

Pretty much every single one of the "unintended acceleration" threads has proven to be user interaction issues. Perhaps yours is different, and if so, you should submit it to the NHTSA and will likely end up a rich person for proving something that no one else has been able to prove (which is, the car will accelerate on its own without anything being done by the user).

The last time I remember this being posted, the person double pulled the handle because they had stopped in a drive through, and they said "the first pull doesnt always work to take the car out of park, so I pulled it again". This was in effect them double pulling the handle to put themselves in AP, which absolutely 100% can be done at a stop.

No idea what your workflow was, but as I said, every single other instance of this has been something the driver did, usually unintentionally / unaware. Perhaps yours is different.

========================

I decided to combine your newly created thread with this existing one, even though its a different software version, the discussion is the same one that happens with these type threads

Pretty much every single one of the "unintended acceleration" threads has proven to be user interaction issues. Perhaps yours is different, and if so, you should submit it to the NHTSA and will likely end up a rich person for proving something that no one else has been able to prove (which is, the car will accelerate on its own without anything being done by the user).

The last time I remember this being posted, the person double pulled the handle because they had stopped in a drive through, and they said "the first pull doesnt always work to take the car out of park, so I pulled it again". This was in effect them double pulling the handle to put themselves in AP, which absolutely 100% can be done at a stop.

No idea what your workflow was, but as I said, every single other instance of this has been something the driver did, usually unintentionally / unaware. Perhaps yours is different.

========================

I decided to combine your newly created thread with this existing one, even though its a different software version, the discussion is the same one that happens with these type threads
Honestly I hope I did something stupid without being aware. Just had the car for 2 months now and my driving flow is good. Modulate the pedal until it stops at light. Basic. No taps on the drive bar or accelerator that I know of… but who the heck knows. I will take it in and if they dont find anything will hope it was a fluke.

I only have basic AP and it was not on. Car set up to hold. Stopped at a stop sign and the car after stopping fully and holding then took off at medium acceleration on its own. Foot was not on a pedal. It was scary and I hit the break right away after a few feet. It stopped in middle of intersection which luckily was empty.

I have the car on the latest update (.9) that reintroduced the vision park assist.

I will let Tesla know but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this?
Couple of possible causes with foot off pedal: hitting the stalk by accident, sloped area (up or downhill), traction loss, profile change (which could disable hold mode), pedal stuck (like on floor mat).

Of these probably a check of the profile is the simplest, especially if you recently did an update. If you are getting it checked by SC, maybe you don't want to do this as it might clear some records of errors, but if not, a reboot after a recent update is typically recommended given sometimes the profile and settings get messed up after an update and a reboot would fix it.

Couple of possible causes with foot off pedal: hitting the stalk by accident, sloped area (up or downhill), traction loss, profile change (which could disable hold mode), pedal stuck (like on floor mat).

Of these probably a check of the profile is the simplest, especially if you recently did an update. If you are getting it checked by SC, maybe you don't want to do this as it might clear some records of errors, but if not, a reboot after a recent update is typically recommended given sometimes the profile and settings get messed up after an update and a reboot would fix it.
I am a pretty savy guy id like to think.
1. After the .9 Vision Update a week ago, I did a reboot. Update/vision meahhh works as well as we all know by now
2. Hold is still active and had been working on same drive.
3. Terrain was flat and the car actually/clearly took off on me. I had to hit the breaks. Was stopped and about to make a turn.
4. I have a rubber winter mat from Tesla, no chance it got in the way.
5. Shocked the crap out of us.
6. I didnt but if the drive stick was touched it would not have done what it did. Park, Reverse or Neutral would not have punched us fwd on a flat surface. Anyhow once I get it checked out will update. Lol I would be happy if I am the idiot that caused this somehow. But Id be concerned to have my kid or wife drive until we sort out. I know there wont be answers here but sharing my experience in case anyone else had the same.

I fly planes and am not the type to doodle with throddles. At the light my foot is in the air(ready for either pedal, prob what helped stop the car faster… although not much use to stop in middle of intersection.

I am a pretty savy guy id like to think.
1. After the .9 Vision Update a week ago, I did a reboot. Update/vision meahhh works as well as we all know by now
2. Hold is still active and had been working on same drive.
3. Terrain was flat and the car actually/clearly took off on me. I had to hit the breaks. Was stopped and about to make a turn.
4. I have a rubber winter mat from Tesla, no chance it got in the way.
5. Shocked the crap out of us.
6. I didnt but if the drive stick was touched it would not have done what it did. Park, Reverse or Neutral would not have punched us fwd on a flat surface. Anyhow once I get it checked out will update. Lol I would be happy if I am the idiot that caused this somehow. But Id be concerned to have my kid or wife drive until we sort out. I know there wont be answers here but sharing my experience in case anyone else had the same.

I fly planes and am not the type to doodle with throddles. At the light my foot is in the air(ready for either pedal, prob what helped stop the car faster… although not much use to stop in middle of intersection.
Hitting the stalk once to put it in TACC would cause the same thing. Seems you aren't aware of this, so I can easily see you making this mistake and not knowing. This has happened to a lot of people in China, enough where Tesla did a recall to add a chime when car is put into TACC (something they didn't have in the US at the time). Pressing the brake would immediately cancel it.

If you have Joe mode on, that chime might be muted though. You may also have it disabled in the settings (the US version that rolled out later allows this, although perhaps not Chinese version given that was recall mandated).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I know this is going to sound ridiculous. This is my second Tesla and while I’ve read stories of phantom acceleration, I’ve always felt they were attributable to a cause. The acceleration pedal getting stuck on the floor mat comes to mind. Today though, when this happened to me, I found no such cause. I had pulled off the street into a retail parking lot and as I approached a stop in the lot, the car suddenly surged forward with no effort from me. Fortunately there was no one around but it was scary as hell. In the time it took to get my foot on the brake, I traveled at least 30 feet. I’m so panicked right now, I don’t want to drive it. I am just so thankful there was no pedestrians or vehicles in front of me.

Edit: before anyone asks, I had not used autopilot all day.
A lot of people really trust the data that Tesla reports for cases like this. As a way of refuting the drivers claim. I’m not saying tesla is fudging the data. But if there were a flukey glitch that caused acceleration - (I dunno, a faulty sensor or something) wouldn’t the data logs show that the accelerator was pushed even if it wasn’t?

A lot of people really trust the data that Tesla reports for cases like this. As a way of refuting the drivers claim. I’m not saying tesla is fudging the data. But if there were a flukey glitch that caused acceleration - (I dunno, a faulty sensor or something) wouldn’t the data logs show that the accelerator was pushed even if it wasn’t?
A fairly experienced Tesla hacker has commented on how the accelerator pedal sensors work and it's practically impossible for it not to show errors if there was a faulty sensor. Basically there are two sensors that work in opposite directions (and also tuned with a different sensitivity) and they are cross checked with each other. This type of accelerator pedal sensing have been used in ICE vehicles for decades and it has never been demonstrated that an undetected sensor failure has ever happened in the real world (there have been other issues with accelerator pedals, like sticky pedals that Toyota has recalled for, but these are mechanical issues that can be found by examining the pedal itself physically).
Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

I see no practical reason why it would suddenly be an issue with Teslas when they are using the same parts (same thing with the brakes, people assume Tesla is using some special braking system or that the brakes are fully brake by wire, in regards to the whole faulty brake scare in China for example, but actually Tesla is a using a Bosch booster system that plenty of cars have used before Tesla).

I should say that this is not to say that people that experience SUA or brake failure incidents are necessarily lying. Many times they are telling the truth about what they experienced, it's just that what they perceived to have happened is not actually what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spuzzz
Hitting the stalk once to put it in TACC would cause the same thing. Seems you aren't aware of this, so I can easily see you making this mistake and not knowing. This has happened to a lot of people in China, enough where Tesla did a recall to add a chime when car is put into TACC (something they didn't have in the US at the time). Pressing the brake would immediately cancel it.

If you have Joe mode on, that chime might be muted though. You may also have it disabled in the settings (the US version that rolled out later allows this, although perhaps not Chinese version given that was recall mandated).

Yeah I am aware of how cruise control/AP works on the tesla. For me its set up to be set to current speed and lane hold with double tap. At the stop light that would be zero. But I am curious and I will single and double tapp it while on hold at light to see if the car will move.

Yeah I am aware of how cruise control/AP works on the tesla. For me its set up to be set to current speed and lane hold with double tap. At the stop light that would be zero. But I am curious and I will single and double tapp it while on hold at light to see if the car will move.

You can activate AP at a stop and when it sees a car in front of it move, it will start moving. You will see this when you test it, though.

Reactions: RedY23
Note the above is not talking about AP, it's purely single tap TACC (or CC if cars that don't have AP). AP have different activation conditions that make it less likely to activate from a stop in areas with stop signs. TACC is different and it has happened to enough people in China that Tesla was forced to do a recall in China to add a chime.

Last edited:
Note the above is not talking about AP, it's purely single tap TACC (or CC if cars that don't have AP). AP have different activation conditions that make it less likely to activate from a stop in areas with stop signs. TACC is different and it has happened to enough people in China that Tesla was forced to do a recall in China to add a chime.
Thanks I am aware just didn’t elaborate. TACC and Basic AP were not on. There were no cars anywhere near me. The stick was not touched. Gonna get a diagnostic next week.

In the meantime I have more anoying problems. Wife curbed the 21in Uberturbine wheels ☹️😩

Last edited:
Either your cruise control was enabled or you hit the pedal with your foot. Those are the only two possibilities.
This happened to me a couple of times after inadvertently activating cruise control before pulling out of my driveway. After the second time I figured it out and was more careful of the right stalk. Careless on my part. "Auto accel" quit with braking and then disengaging by pushing the right stalk up. Once I began to move, car attempted to accelerate to the neighborhood speed limit. Unsettling, but driver error on my part.

Reactions: SO16
This happened to me a couple of times after inadvertently activating cruise control before pulling out of my driveway. After the second time I figured it out and was more careful of the right stalk. Careless on my part. "Auto accel" quit with braking and then disengaging by pushing the right stalk up. Once I began to move, car attempted to accelerate to the neighborhood speed limit. Unsettling, but driver error on my part.
Who knows But that does sound like the most plausible explanation for this. Car trying to accelerate to neighborhood speed. The only thing I can think of is that I unconsciously hit the right stick to “activate the wipers”(my other car) as it was raining that day…. And we all know when it rains wipers dont work and when its dry and sunny they are always on.
I could swear I didn’t but ive been wrong before. Too bad I didnt hit the horn. Does that save inside video?

TACC and Basic AP were not on.
Autopilot is a set of features. TACC and Autosteer are part of Autopilot. From the Model Y user manual:
Screenshot_20230406_182225_Chrome.jpg