Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY accelerated on it’s own!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way to have an open mind. I am a fan of Tesla as well but no, autopilot and cruise control had not been on all day. Let me clarify something. I rarely need to take my foot off the accelerator with regenerative braking but I certainly know the difference between having my foot lifted and the vehicle accelerating as if it was pedal to the metal.

Maybe you guys can remind me why I can’t play back my driving on the screen. When I reviewed it, it displays the vehicle being parked at my home and then the tail end of the drive when I brought the vehicle to a stop when I parked. I was sure that in the past I could review video from actual driving.
Did you check the files in the usb drive or just the “saved” clips?

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
Edit: before anyone asks, I had not used autopilot all day.
Sorry you had a scary experience. Being around here for a while I’ve seen many posts about it accelerated and the folks bashing. Regardless of the cause, it is scary! I always thought it was veery improbable but empathized with the shock of the experience.
Never happened with the X.
Then, the first week of having our 3 I was exiting a parking lot in a slight downhill into a street , stopping for the sign, and the car lounged forward into the street. I turned instantly and merged into a lane. My mind was “how can it be” and I pulled over instantly to try to replay the muscle memory. Felt a bit like seeing a UFO - is this really happening?- Maybe it was the difference in pedal angle or distance or something, whatever the root cause- my conclusion is that I grazed the accelerator. I have no data one way or the other. Never happened again thou, so all is good

I can report definitively that my MY accelerated on its own, with no intervention from me. At the time, my default TACC engagement mode was "current speed". I was accelerating manually around 65 km/h when the car began to gain speed faster than I was commanding with the pedal. When I checked the display, I saw that TACC had engaged by itself, with a target speed of 115 km/h. I absolutely did not have my hand any where near the right stalk, and in any case there's no way for TACC to engage at such a high speed. It happened again a few days ago although in that case I had already engaged autopilot and was scrolling the speed up. It suddenly jumped to 115 and the car accelerated. I have reported the incidents to Tesla but they don't seem interested. Both occurred on the same stretch of road. I also experience decreases in TACC set speed that occur repeatedly at other locations. I suspect these speed change events are somehow related but the self-engagement of autopilot is bizarre.
Yeah I’d report a bug. One road close by used to have erroneous database info and slow me down by 15 miles if Ibeasnt paying attention. Not a way to make friends with those behind you!
Didn’t happen any more since the read speed sign feature rolled out for the model 3 autopilot.

Reminder that this thread was opened in Feb 2021 and the OP never came back to clarify or answer any questions nor have they posted on these forums since then.

I see this behavior a lot on the internet, in the various forums I'm a member of. Someone rants about a bad experience they had, blaming it on someone/something else, several other members provide a variety of logical explanations, the person never comes back to acknowledge it.

But it's good to have the information. It gives other people a point of reference or a conversation they can continue with their own experiences. Several have here already, and recently. I find pretty much all of it hard to believe. Much like the Toyota Prius issues back 15 or so years ago. I suspect it's user error operating a complex system and not fully paying attention to what they're doing.

Me too but I think we'll never hear back from the OP as the real reason. Same with the other claims of unintended acceleration threads that have popped up here before. No one will ever want to admit that was a loose floor mat.
My experience was nothing of the kind. I paid close attention to what I was doing. I have Tesmanian liners installed so nothing comes close the the pedal. When my first incident occurred, I was driving manually then all of a sudden autopilot was engaged at a speed that it could not normally engage at (50 km/h faster than I was travelling). It happened. Believe it.

Sorry you had a scary experience. Being around here for a while I’ve seen many posts about it accelerated and the folks bashing. Regardless of the cause, it is scary! I always thought it was veery improbable but empathized with the shock of the experience.
Never happened with the X.
Then, the first week of having our 3 I was exiting a parking lot in a slight downhill into a street , stopping for the sign, and the car lounged forward into the street. I turned instantly and merged into a lane. My mind was “how can it be” and I pulled over instantly to try to replay the muscle memory. Felt a bit like seeing a UFO - is this really happening?- Maybe it was the difference in pedal angle or distance or something, whatever the root cause- my conclusion is that I grazed the accelerator. I have no data one way or the other. Never happened again thou, so all is good
Sorry, but your description of the event makes no sense. If you were "stopping for the sign", your foot was on the brake, right? You released the brake, the car "lounged" forward [sic]??? Why didn't you put your foot BACK on the brake, instead of continuing forward?
I suspect, in this example, it was the downhill slope that caused the car to move forward after you released the brake.

The other examples? After only 4500 miles with my Y, and my overall experience with computers/autos, I contend that ANYTHING is possible, electronically, w/o leaving a trail that can be followed/duplicated. What I DO know is that the mechanical/hydraulic brakes will work, regardless of any electronic interference.

(I just experienced the dreaded "black screen", while parked, trying to scroll through the owner's manual. TWICE! Dark screen, HVAC stopped, dead silence, 35-45 seconds.. Then magically, it all started up again, w/o losing any saved settings. How did THAT happen? I don't know, I don't care, I won't be calling in an attorney, asking for a recall, etc. etc.)

Reactions: iustin
Each to his/her own - I actually enjoy using Hold mode with full single-pedal driving. After 6 months with the car, It's a rare occasion for my foot to touch the brake pedal.
I agree with that. Even though I use creep mode. I often use the HOLD by just pressing harder on the brake momentarily. I would be uncomfortable at a stop light by not having the foot on the brake or by using hold

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4 and T-Mom
Post a video.

Pull data from the EDR (Event Data Recorder) and post it.

My experience was nothing of the kind. I paid close attention to what I was doing. I have Tesmanian liners installed so nothing comes close the the pedal. When my first incident occurred, I was driving manually then all of a sudden autopilot was engaged at a speed that it could not normally engage at (50 km/h faster than I was travelling). It happened. Believe it.

Reactions: iustin
I agree with that. Even though I use creep mode. I often use the HOLD by just pressing harder on the brake momentarily. I would be uncomfortable at a stop light by not having the foot on the brake or by using hold

You might consider training yourself to not use Creep Mode.

Creep mode simulates a trait of early automatic transmissions that was never fixed. Instead of a simple mechanism to eliminate it, the flaw was passed off as a feature, and people now just accept it.

Imagine if it didn't exist and some manufacturer tried to introduce it today: "You mean that the vehicle sometimes moves forward on its own, without press the Go pedal? And the only excuse is that it might help when starting out going uphill? But not always, and might drift backwards instead? And someone could exit the vehicle forgetting about it, and it might start moving later? That's insanity!"

Creep mode simulates a trait of early automatic transmissions that was never fixed. Instead of a simple mechanism to eliminate it, the flaw was passed off as a feature, and people now just accept it.

Imagine if it didn't exist and some manufacturer tried to introduce it today: "You mean that the vehicle sometimes moves forward on its own, without press the Go pedal? And the only excuse is that it might help when starting out going uphill? But not always, and might drift backwards instead? And someone could exit the vehicle forgetting about it, and it might start moving later? That's insanity!"
Actually I did try it when it was new. So no, I am not going to do it because someone here suggests it. I don't need to train myself to do something different that I am already happy with. :) Initially I did try it for about a month because it defaulted to that setting and I did not like it. After 50 years of driving and never an incident, I am used to a creep mode and I will stick with it. I understand why some people like it and want to use it. No one will convince me to use it again. Just because some people think it is better to not use creep mode, no need to get everyone else not use it. :) Suggesting it is insanity is really a stretch since cars have crept for decades.

Like I said, if I want the car to hold for some reason, I simply press a little harder on the brake. That way I get both features I want.

Last edited:
I had an "accelerating on its own" incident a few days ago and figured out what happened within a few seconds.

I had pulled up to pick my daughter up at High School after her theater practice. It was much later in the day so there wasn't really a long line of cars, etc. There are lane markers in the parking lot just like on a street.

There was one car ahead of me waiting to pick up their child. I pulled up behind like I normally would and my Y went into Hold. My daughter came out a few minutes later and I pulled down on the stalk, thinking I was in Park, to put it in Drive. What I didn't realize was that I had just activated TACC.

I pulled around the vehicle in front of me and turned left to get to an exit lane out of the parking lot. As I approached the stop sign at the exit, I let my foot off the accelerator and it started to accelerate on its own. I was like what just happened as I put my foot on the brake and came to a stop. Then I remembered pulling down on the stalk and realized I had never put it in park. I surmised that I had enabled TACC unintentionally because a car happened to be in front of me in the pick up lane.

It was a good learning experience and now I make sure to check that I'm in park before pulling down to put in Drive.

I can easily see this happening when pulling into a parking spot. I've accidentally brushed the right stalk with my right hand when doing a hand over hand sharp turn. If it sensed a car in front of you while turning, it could easily start to accelerate if it didn't detect the parked car in front of you in time.

I will admit that I once accidentally engaged TACC when I meant to signal right. Instead of pushing the left stalk up, I pushed the right one down. I guess I should've napped a bit until my instincts went back to where they belong 🥱.
Reminds me of driving in New Zealand - some cars have controls swapped, so instead of signalling you will start the windshield wipers :)

Maybe someday when the vehicle is smart enough to prevent me from crashing into the back wall of my garage using one pedal driving. Until then I feel more in control with my foot feathering the brake pedal as the vehicle creeps forward an inch at a time. In my garage the difference between perfectly parked and disaster is only 24 inches.

It has nothing to do with having an open mind. The vehicle simply is not capable of doing what you claim.

The NHTSA has investigated these types of “incidents” and found as much to be true.

It is ALWAYS operator error.
The vehicle absolutely is capable of accelerating on it’s own. The accelerator, and power supply to the motors are all electronically controlled. You press the accelerator and the software tells the motor to turn. A bug in the software can take the accelerator out of the equation. This doesn’t prove it was the vehicle’s fault, but to deny the possibility is also reckless.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV and glide
The vehicle absolutely is capable of accelerating on it’s own. The accelerator, and power supply to the motors are all electronically controlled. You press the accelerator and the software tells the motor to turn. A bug in the software can take the accelerator out of the equation. This doesn’t prove it was the vehicle’s fault, but to deny the possibility is also reckless.
You don’t think anything else happens between the accelerator pedal and the software?

You don’t think anything else happens between the accelerator pedal and the software?
It really doesn’t matter - as long as the computer has the ability to fully control the car then it also (potentially) has the ability to accelerate without the driver pressing the gas pedal.

I’m not ignoring the possibility that the original poster may have been at fault, but you can’t simply say “it’s impossible that the car did it.”

It is possible to make that claim. Though we won’t know if we can with Tesla. There are processes, programming languages, etc. that ensure ALL behavior of the computer program are known, and tested. I’m not saying Tesla employs these techniques but it is available, well known to safety critical software system development.