Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My battery failed after only 3K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a source, but I thought it was 500 cycles. I remembers hearing this multiple times over the past few years.

I sure hope not. That's like 150k miles. There are already enough stubborn people out there that want to resist EVs because "blah, blah, blah" [insert FUD from mainstream media here]. Having to buy a new battery pack for $15k after 150k miles is a *really* bad value proposition.

500*264=132k miles. The warranty is 120k miles (for the 3/Y at least), so that's more or less what they warranty against, but the packs themselves are supposed to last somewhere between 1000-1500 cycles on average from a MTBF standpoint.
It will be interesting to see what happens the next couple years, as more more of Tesla's mass produced vehicles age. We also need to keep in mind the degradation which occurs over time.

Have you seen this video? I'm willing to bet these guys are the reason Tesla lowered the recommended LOC state to 80%.
The biggest flaw I see, is that cycles and extended age/time are not exhibited together. Around the 10 min mark of the video, they only push out the degradation for time to 350-400 days... I suspect their might be a good reason for this. But that is just my gut feeling. The degradation is fairly linear. So let's see 5, 10, 15 years or at least an estimation with cycle usage.

Based upon this video I lowered my daily SOC to 70%.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
That's where I keep our MY LR AWD. Unless on the road there is no point in having the battery sit with more juice in it. A good case could be made for a daily 50% SoC as well.

Rich
The macro data seems to demonstrate that maintaining an overall average of 50% SOC is best for the battery packs over the long term. My wife keeps hers at 80% for daily driving and typically uses 20-30% per day. I'd rather we set it at 60-65% for daily driving, in an effort to average 50% SOC, but she doesn't want to be in a scenario where she needs to deal with something urgent and not have the range to do so without stopping for a SC session - given urgent matters are typically very time sensitive. Personally I don't like edge case management of this nature, but I understand her concern at the same time.

Reactions: KiwiME
Yeah, to me, the most important thing would be the quality of replacement battery. Tesla states, it is possible, the battery would be replaced with a used-remanufactured one. I hope, things work out great for you!

2021 model Y LR 25,000 miles on it, had gotten it new back in June2021

Dropped off service center today got model 3 LR loaner

HV battery pack needs to be replaced 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 26