Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have any data points of cars being limited to 60kw of supercharging when they are MORE than 100 miles from home?

Yes we do! :) That was me. I started this thread. The reduced charge speed occurred at two SuC locations far away from my home. The third SuC I used on that trip was the one closest to my home delivered full power. I have 8 SuC within 100 miles of me and all of them give me full power. Only once did I experience the 60 kW limit at Hawthorne which is 30 miles from my home. But never before and never after.

I have no theory and I don't speculate. The only pattern I see among all people that have the issue is the 60/59 kW number which rules out variations due to state of charge or temperature or charger sharing. All these factors would produce random numbers, but never a consistent and constant 60 kW.

Here is the problem, we all have lives and jobs and none of us has time to drive around only to test out Superchargers under different conditions.

GREAAATTTTT!

but it's not the kind of info we need...

please stop posting that you have been able to charge at a rate of 60kw+ as it makes the post longer and it doesn't help anyone here that has the throttling problem...

Though, if you have constructive ideas you'll be more than welcome!

Thanks in advance...

It's just not the data you want to see. You need data from all people charging locally, not just the few that are "throttled". As others have mentioned, censoring data that doesn't go with your theory is silly. Data showing that other people's local superchargers are NOT throttling are certainly valid data points, and it why I've posted a few of those here, from two vehicles.

I've read this entire thread and I personally see nothing that definitively correlates throttling based on location. There are many data points (dozen or more) against this theory and very few (2?) that actually *may* support it (A picture of a car charging at 60kW is simply not proof of local throttling). I think it is definitely time to put such speculation on hold until either we have more data points that support the theory (we already have plenty that do not) or something public from Tesla on the matter (unlikely since it doesn't seem to be a policy thing).

I'll point out again that throttling at a supercharger makes no sense whatsoever when the power is available (as in, not another car on the paired stall). If they're trying to discourage locals from hogging superchargers, then this would be the dumbest possible way to go about it since it would force the locals to stay there LONGER. A longer supercharge time is in no one's best interest. Throttling locals definitely does not fit the Occam's razor type reasoning for what some are seeing, which could be any number of factors specific to them or the supercharger they were using at the time. It is much more likely that it is something to do with the supercharger cabinets or their vehicles at the time of the throttling rather than some non-public Tesla policy for throttling supercharge rates for seemingly random locals at seemingly random times and locations. Just doesn't make any logical sense.

I agree with everyone that says the theory of throttling local users is unlikely because really it makes no sense in any way. If Tesla didn't want that, they would not have built so many Superchargers right in Los Angeles and other well populated areas. It has always been Tesla's goal to make charging as fast as possible (within reason). Slowing it down makes no sense whatsoever.

The only reason I'm still interested in this issue is because I use Superchargers a lot and really hate to almost double my charging times. Nothing is worse than knowing it could go faster but for some mysterious reason it's slower. There doesn't seem to be a pattern other than the 60 kW limit.

So then how did the speculation that this issue is being caused by throttling locals gain such momentum in this thread?

There are very few people claiming their charge rates are being intentionally reduced by Tesla. There are close to 600 posts in this thread.

Ironically, its been those commenting on the speculation that are stoking the flames on this one. It is the Kardashian of threads. :eek:

The point is that we don't have any patterns yet.

For all we know, the Superchargers could limit charging to 60 kW max when the Supercharger controller code crashes, and therefore can't do dynamic switching of more charging modules. As to why a fix hasn't been pushed to the affected Superchargers, it could be the case that when the controller code does crash, it is doing so in such a way that inhibits its restart, or update. Or, it could be the case they haven't found the bug that causes the crash quite yet, and instead they're restarting them when a report gets made, or it takes a watchdog a while, or something. That wouldn't be most resilient of systems and I think Tesla knows better, but it's as good of a guess as any and fits our data better than any other speculative theory in this thread (although I admit it's just a simple theory that would fit the randomness we've seen).

- - - Updated - - -

There are very few people claiming their charge rates are being intentionally reduced by Tesla. There are close to 600 posts in this thread.

Ironically, its been those commenting on the speculation that are stoking the flames on this one. It is the Kardashian of threads. :eek:

I disagree. Each time I think the "locals are getting throttled" issue has been settled, new people pop up to re-fan the coals.

The point is that we don't have any patterns yet.

For all we know, the Superchargers could limit charging to 60 kW max when the Supercharger controller code crashes, and therefore can't do dynamic switching of more charging modules. As to why a fix hasn't been pushed to the affected Superchargers, it could be the case that when the controller code does crash, it is doing so in such a way that inhibits its restart, or update. Or, it could be the case they haven't found the bug that causes the crash quite yet, and instead they're restarting them when a report gets made, or it takes a watchdog a while, or something. That wouldn't be most resilient of systems and I think Tesla knows better, but it's as good of a guess as any and fits our data better than any other speculative theory in this thread (although I admit it's just a simple theory that would fit the randomness we've seen).
Except very early in this thread, we had three cars at one Supercharger and only one of the three was affected by the limit. We moved between charger pairs, so at least in this one case, the charge limit was tied to the car, not the SC.

Except very early in this thread, we had three cars at one Supercharger and only one of the three was affected by the limit. We moved between charger pairs, so at least in this one case, the charge limit was tied to the car, not the SC.

Well, hey, there goes that theory on which I wasted 5 whole minutes! :)

As one or more people have pointed out in this thread, we know Tesla does like to test things. We may never know exactly what they're testing, but I think it's reasonable to believe that some of the people who are seeing the throttling may be part of some test, even if it was just a very temporary or even one-time test in some cases. We can keep trying to fit the throttling to a pattern, but we're pretty unlikely to find one. But it's also probably not productive to tell the people who have been throttled that they're liars and should be wearing tinfoil hats. Just because we can't figure out exactly what's going on doesn't mean nothing is or was.

Each time I think the "locals are getting throttled" issue has been settled, new people pop up to re-fan the coals.

Well there's one divergence...for those who have seen reduced rates, at no point has the issue ever been close to 'settled'. There has only been opposing speculation as to why Tesla couldn't/wouldn't reduce charge rates.

Escher would be so confused if he tried to follow a TMC thread. :tongue:

You would do an excellent job as a lobbyist for Tesla... maybe you are already.

No, I just like to deal in data and facts instead of emotion and speculation.

And I think most people here know that Tesla employees are highly discouraged from participating in conversations here. I'm not one of them. I'm just a customer.

Update: I got the 6.2 version and just decided to go try again the Montréal SuperCharger and I haven't been throttled for the 2nd time in row...

I'll maybe try another SuperCharge in couple of days, I'll keep you posted...

Last edited:
To follow up on my previous post, I don't think local super charging is being rate-limited. I've visited the SLC charger several times over the past few days to test since my last post. Each time I've been the only one charging. Sometimes I get 60kW, sometimes I get 100kW. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why. Tried with various starting SOC, different times of day. If there is a pattern to it, I'm not seeing it.