Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I got the 6.2 version and just decided to go try again the Montréal SuperCharger and I haven't been throttled for the 2nd time in row...

I'll maybe try another SuperCharge in couple of days, I'll keep you posted...
Reporting a reduced charging rate as being "throttled" makes the assumption that it was intentional rather than a defect. There is no evidence that was the case. Let's describe what happens in a neutral way rather than attributing purpose to it.

Supercharged today at Fremont. Data is consistent with what I've posted previously, which is to say, still slower than non-local superchargers.

For those who dont wish to dig, of the 14 (I think) chargers I've visited, my two local chargers (Fremont and Gilroy) are consistently and clearly slower.

Next time you go please take some data. Some users are suggesting 6.2 has improved the algorithm.

If by algorithm you mean the charging data, well, they are the same as they were when I first tried the Montréal SC...

Nothing changed... for a definite SoC, it's still at the same voltage and amperage as it was before...

- - - Updated - - -

Supercharged today at Fremont. Data is consistent with what I've posted previously, which is to say, still slower than non-local superchargers.

For those who dont wish to dig, of the 14 (I think) chargers I've visited, my two local chargers (Fremont and Gilroy) are consistently and clearly slower.

I'm still with you guys... as I said that the last 2 SuperCharging were fine BUT I'll keep an eye on it...

For my own info. Are you sharing a paired charger during these sessions?
Oh, by the way. Today I couldn't get more than 115kW/h. I'm getting ready to start a petition for a congressional inquiry as they must be taking advantage of me some how.

I had my car for annual service today. I mentioned the limit I experienced and they said it's definitely not an issue with the car. The rep said sometimes when the battery is stressed a lot, the car will reduce the charge current to protect the battery. The times I experienced it, the battery was definitely not strained a lot. I was actually driving pretty easy. There was no other expianation or speculation discussed.

Last edited:
I had my car for annual service today. I mentioned the limit I experienced and they said it's definitely not an issue with the car. The rep said sometimes when the battery is stressed a lot, the car will reduce the charge current to protect the battery. The times I experienced it, the battery was definitely not strained a lot. I was actually driving pretty easy. There was no other expianation or speculation discussed.

Yeah, I don't believe that. I've been driving 80 mph in 105 F heat in the Central Valley and I've still hit over 80 kW when I connected. Granted, the cooling fans were running at full tilt.

Yeah, I don't believe that. I've been driving 80 mph in 105 F heat in the Central Valley and I've still hit over 80 kW when I connected. Granted, the cooling fans were running at full tilt.

Don't believe that either...

I hope Tesla sales rep won't become like ICE sales rep...

Folks are posting links to this thread over at TM Forums as evidence that throttling is taking place when it very clearly isn't.

Can you link to evidence/data to support your supposition?

There is data that very clearly shows some people experience occasional low charge rates, and some of that data shows consistency in location. To my knowledge, there is nothing that suggests one way or the other whether that those low rates are intentional 'throttling', so unless you can prove otherwise, you are doing a disservice to the community with your statement.

There is data that very clearly shows some people experience occasional low charge rates, and some of that data shows consistency in location. To my knowledge, there is nothing that suggests one way or the other whether that those low rates are intentional 'throttling', so unless you can prove otherwise, you are doing a disservice to the community with your statement.

You're right, I also think that this thread should continue...

For my part, after experiencing throttling issues at the Montréal SC for the whole february and march, I have to say that since the last week I've gone 3 times just to test any throttling and none of the 3 times I was throttled... kinda relieved that it has stopped...

People who still experience throttling should continue to state it in this thread... If Musk really pledges is «warranty» of «no more range anxiety», well, it starts with avoiding any throttling for any SC as it does more harm than good for the company image and the EV industry in general...

This thread needs to come to an end. Folks are posting links to this thread over at TM Forums as evidence that throttling is taking place when it very clearly isn't. UGH!

HUH?

You are saying that just because a handful of people experienced low charge rates in specific locations, the burden is on ME to prove that there is no throttling issue going on? I'm sorry, but that's not how things work. There is absolutely no conclusive evidence presented in this thread to prove that throttling is occurring as a result of policy. There are far more data points in this thread alone to disprove the position that Tesla is intentionally throttling anybody. Maybe you should go back and review the preceding 60 pages.

If anyone feels that Tesla is intentionally throttling, the onus is on them to prove the assertion because such an assertion runs contrary to the majority experience as well as Tesla's stated policies. So far, that burden has not been met. There is absolutely no evidence - none - that Tesla is intentionally throttling anyone. If there is, and since you are the one supporting that claim apparently, then the burden of proof is on the person making the claim that runs counter to the accepted reality. So please prove it.

^ ^ ^ THIS.

In the absence of any reasonable motive that Tesla would have to intentionally rate-limit a chosen few... calling whatever is happening "Throttling" implies intent, connotes retribution, thereby inflaming emotions...

Throttle is something controlled. On purpose.

Therefore the choice to use the "T-word" when contributing data points does a disservice to the community.
But, yeah, it makes for better click-bait.

You're right, I also think that this thread should continue...

For my part, after experiencing throttling issues at the Montréal SC for the whole february and march, I have to say that since the last week I've gone 3 times just to test any throttling and none of the 3 times I was throttled... kinda relieved that it has stopped...

You received low charge rates in February and March, which were probably very cold months, and in the warmer month of April you've gone three times and have not experienced limited charge rates. Well, if you are saying that Tesla is throttling users then you just disproved your own point. This amounts to nothing more than issues with local superchargers, thermal, etc. That's it. If Tesla was intentionally throttling you, then why on earth did they decide to stop a week ago?

This thread might as well be about UFOs. There is nothing here. I love how people can build up a mountain of speculation based upon essentially nothing. It's turning into a mass hysteria without any supporting evidence. Even the evidence you provided was not consistent, yet you continue to push the notion that this is because of some policy?

I would love for people to use some logic here instead of defaulting to rampant speculation.

- - - Updated - - -

MODERATORS - Can you please change the title of this thread to "The Yeti Thread"?

You are saying that just because a handful of people experienced low charge rates in specific locations, the burden is on ME to prove that there is no throttling issue going on?

Was I not clear? The burden that is on your shoulders is with respect to your statement there "clearly" isn't throttling. You presented that as fact, when it is obviously just your supposition. Feel free to retract your incorrect statement and re-present it as your opinion.

There is absolutely no conclusive evidence presented in this thread to prove that throttling is occurring as a result of policy.

This is opinion as presented as supporting evidence for your false claim of fact. That's not how this works. Try again.

- - - Updated - - -

In the absence of any reasonable motive that Tesla would have to intentionally rate-limit a chosen few... calling whatever is happening "Throttling" implies intent, connotes retribution, thereby inflaming emotions...

Throttle is something controlled. On purpose.

Therefore the choice to use the "T-word" when contributing data points does a disservice to the community.
But, yeah, it makes for better click-bait.

LOL. Feel free to propose some other semantic terminology to describe the low charge rates. I've attempted to avoid the term as much as possible and keep the discussion neutral (since there's no data to explain the low charge rates), but those flying the anti-throttling flag can't seem to get away from the term.

You received low charge rates in February and March, which were probably very cold months, and in the warmer month of April you've gone three times and have not experienced limited charge rates.

Actually, almost everyone that has a Tesla knows that a cold battery charges slower in cold winter... but thanks again to remind us...

Everytime I went to SC (feb-march) I made sure that my battery pack was warm (at least 45 minutes of driving)...

Last edited: