Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update!

6/14 - Placed deposit and given the 4-6 week estimate. Brent told me to contact him directly if I don't hear anything after a week
6/14 - Brent connected me with local Columbus DS Scott with a summary of my order
6/18 - Received email from [email protected] stating that my car was In Transit with links to confirm my payment. Forwarded to DS asking if there is anything else I need to do (showing 5/5 on my tesla status for the car).
6/19 - DS got back to me to confirm my payment method. Confirmed the car had arrived at the Indianapolis service center and was being worked on today
6/21 - Received another email from delivery@tesla that said 'We noticed that you still have yet to enter your payment method...'. Forwarded to DS and asked if I needed to do anything.
6/23 - DS wrote back and said everything looks in order for payment. Updated status to say that the car is waiting on a drive motor from Fremont that they decided to replace due to noise. After it is replaced they will ship the car to Columbus.
6/29 - Received an email from Tesla stating that my Final Price Sheet is available and now I have the option to fully pay for the car on the website. Forwarded it to DS in Columbus to see if this meant there was a status update on the car. He did not respond (suspect they are busy with end of quarter squeeze...).
7/5 - Finalized date with electrician for work so I poked the DS again.
7/7 - DS responded. Car CPO process is complete! Shipping to Columbus service center next week where we will finalize a delivery date!

I would advise you to go ahead and extend the lease at least one month. It should be a quick call to your lease company. You could look at trading it in for your MS as well if you have turn in fees, wear n tear, mile fees etc. I traded mine in as a lease, they paid my lease pay off and I ended up with extra being mailed to me for the equity I had due to a low residual estimate. Turning it in would have likely cost me a grand or two out of pocket, vs into my pocket as a trade

I extended the lease 3 months through a phone call with Nissan and was told that would be it, no further extension. My lease buyout seems to be roughly the same as the advertised prices I see on Craigslist so unless Tesla want to overpay that isn't an option.

I communicated my timeline to my sales rep when I made the deposit and was informed they would put me in an Enterprise rental when my lease terminates if my car isn't ready or a Tesla loaner if one is available. That is a great way to take care of a new customer. Thank you Tesla.

As I was writing this I got an email from the delivery team " Delivery Late July-Early August."

Updated timeline:
15 JUN - Deposit placed
29 JUN - Assigned shipping
7 JUL - Delivery expected late July-Early August.

I hope all went well for you today. We want pics!

Bad and great day at the same time. Was driving to Tesla and got a call saying it would be an extra hour. Something to do with downloading firmware. An hour later, I stopped in to pick up the car. The DS said it would be another 24 hours. They want to make sure the firmware is correct. :(
Then they loaned me a P100D. :)
Then they called and said I could keep the car and pick mine up on Monday.
I told them to take as long as they need!

Bad and great day at the same time. Was driving to Tesla and got a call saying it would be an extra hour. Something to do with downloading firmware. An hour later, I stopped in to pick up the car. The DS said it would be another 24 hours. They want to make sure the firmware is correct. :(
thats interesting. I've had two updates so far after buying the car. When the firmware downloads I don't take the car through a 24 hour quality assurance process :p ...Tesla. I tell you one thing, with the three hour drive I had to the SC, I'm really happy they didn't pull that on me!

Hey, at least you know they're being extremely thorough dotting all the i's, etc. I got the feeling mine was extremely thorough on everything too. On the one hand we all had a hard time waiting for the car, but on the other hand at least they are in exquisite condition. I've bought new cars and used cars, and this one really feels like new.

Oh and I I think I posted this in my own thread a while back but will post it here for all the folks waiting right now with one reserved. Here is a list of the extra cool stuff that was on my car that was not on the spec sheet:
  • parcel shelf (worth $250 new)
  • ultrasonic parking sensors (worth $500 new)
  • power folding mirrors (part of tech package but specs made it look like I had the older tech package before mirrors could fold on the car)
  • HP envy laptop cleaning cloth (ROFL)
I was really happy about the parcel shelf. cars just look weird to me when you can see through the back window into the trunk. needless to say, very happy about the parking assist.

Last edited:
That's awesome about the loaner! Did you get a chance to look at your real car?

thats interesting. I've had two updates so far after buying the car. When the firmware downloads I don't take the car through a 24 hour quality assurance process :p ...Tesla. I tell you one thing, with the three hour drive I had to the SC, I'm really happy they didn't pull that on me!

Hey, at least you know they're being extremely thorough dotting all the i's, etc. I got the feeling mine was extremely thorough on everything too. On the one hand we all had a hard time waiting for the car, but on the other hand at least they are in exquisite condition. I've bought new cars and used cars, and this one really feels like new.

Oh and I I think I posted this in my own thread a while back but will post it here for all the folks waiting right now with one reserved. Here is a list of the extra cool stuff that was on my car that was not on the spec sheet:
  • power folding mirrors (part of tech package but specs made it look like I had the older tech package before mirrors could fold on the car)
I was really happy about the parcel shelf. cars just look weird to me when you can see through the back window into the trunk. needless to say, very happy about the parking assist.
I'm excited to check out my CPO, hoping for some extras like yours!
You scored some sweet stuff.

That is good and bad news. My fear is that I would get used to driving the P100D and be disappointed at delivery time with my "old Tesla" :)

I didn't have time to see my actual car. I hope everything is ok with it.

I had the same worry. What if I drive this around then think my sucks when I get it?
I set the car (in the settings) to drive like a 75 (except for the one time I launched as a P100D!). The 75 will drive very similar to my 85.

I have to admit, the P100D launch scared the *sugar* out of me. But it was awesome.

To those that have done this: how did you handle payment during final delivery? I'm paying cash and obviously have a large sum of money to hand over before I can drive away from the service center. I have the cash staged in a savings account at the moment. On the My Tesla portion of the website I can clearly see a path to having Tesla directly grab the funds from this savings account. While this looks like a super easy option it would likely take several days to finalize so I would have to start this process ahead of seeing the car I'm buying. I can't be the only one that would find that unsettling? In the event of issues on delivery (crossing fingers!) I would lose a significant amount of leverage as well...

Alternatively I could get the bank to issue a cashier's check and hand carry this to the delivery. Is this common?

Sorry for the noob question. I haven't bought a new car in 13 years :)

To those that have done this: how did you handle payment during final delivery? I'm paying cash and obviously have a large sum of money to hand over before I can drive away from the service center. I have the cash staged in a savings account at the moment. On the My Tesla portion of the website I can clearly see a path to having Tesla directly grab the funds from this savings account. While this looks like a super easy option it would likely take several days to finalize so I would have to start this process ahead of seeing the car I'm buying. I can't be the only one that would find that unsettling? In the event of issues on delivery (crossing fingers!) I would lose a significant amount of leverage as well...

Alternatively I could get the bank to issue a cashier's check and hand carry this to the delivery. Is this common?

I did a cashiers check. They could have direct debited the money from my account using the website, but that has to be done before you see the car, which isn't the best plan.

• Informative
Reactions: seabie

Mine came with a parcel shelf and a center console as my extras which made me happy too! Specially the console!

That is good and bad news. My fear is that I would get used to driving the P100D and be disappointed at delivery time with my "old Tesla" :)

I ended up with a brand new 75D (128 miles on it) with AP2 just a week after my pick up. I actually looked forward to getting back into my P85 and still do! I compared it to a new pair of tennis shoes. New ones are crisp, perfect and have the latest materials, but those old pair that are your favorite just fit so nice. The AP2 was nice but I guess I didn't know (since I hadn't read too much into knowing i wasn't getting it) it doesn't do more than straight driving. A lane change at certain speeds. Don't get me wrong, still an absolutely amazing feature, just not for the cost for me at this time. They both GO! when you step on the accelerator more than any ICE I owned so it didn't really bum me out going back to mine.

Oh and the loaner had no sound package (which was noticeable compared to mine that does), and no tint which was horrible! Between my drives it wouldn't cool down enough. In mine with tint its 107° outside and I get into a slightly warm car or cool if I remember to turn it on before I walk out. (It preconditions at my leave times automatically but that is an all car feature)

Tesla doesn't accept credit (I wanted points!) cash, or a child as payment :p as I was told. You have to have a certified check or pay online from a bank account so you will need to get gather all the cash into one account or take it to one bank for a cashiers check.

• Informative

Actually they do not need cash in hand for you to drive off. They only need you to start the transfer there at the Tesla store. You hit enter, they have you the key. It will take up to a week before your back account is actually drained. So do not start the process earlier. Add your bank account in my Tesla. When you show up, they will hand you a laptop and ask you to log in. Once you've signed paper work and looked over the dashed agreement, you initiate the transfer for that amount right there in my Tesla in the store. You won't want to start that early if you have a trade for instance. The value of your trade could change on the spot right before you pick up the car.

• Informative
06/19 - Ordered in Montreal's SC, car is coming from Toronto. Delivery estimate end of July.
06/22 - Got email about financing from California, numbers for my trade-in need to be updated.
06/23 - Got confirmation from CPO advisor that car arrived in Montréal already :)
06/23 - Asked for pictures but CPO advisor politely suggested to wait until the car is ready.
06/27 - Called Credit Analyst in California and got numbers right for financing.
06/29 - Texted CPO advisor for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
06/30 - Texted CPO advisor again for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
07/03 - Called CPO advisor about Trade-in sale and he emailed back asking for some docs.
07/04 - Got contacted by person who will take care of the Trade-in and that should be done by Friday.
07/04 - First contact with DS, he says car is going through certification process, will update me at the end of the week.
07/04 - Got a call from CPO advisor late in the day, he offered to match the private offer I had for my trade-in.
07/06 - Dropped off my trade-in at the SC for inspection, due to some miscommunication not the best experience.
I spent over 2 hours at the service center while actually that was not needed.
07/07 - Trade-in step shows as complete in MyTesla. 4 out of 6 completed.
07/07 - DS confirmed that car is in the body shop and he will update me when car is back at the SC.

Yep, as others have mentioned, don't pay early. Pay when you get there, after you've inspected the car. Once satisfied, do the financials. They have you sign into your TSLA acct and complete the direct debit. That's what I did though I did bring a paper personal check with me just in case.

On a side note, I hopped back into my ICE today just to start her up since it's been 2 weeks since I parked her in favor of Blue Tess. What a difference! Almost got into a few accidents as I already got used to the regen braking and barely use the brakes any more. The signal stalks were also reversed so that got confusing. Even though Grey Audrey is supercharged and puts out almost as much as Blue Tess, it just felt lacking and unimpressive. Didn't realize that gas prices are pretty cheap right now.

While we are talking payment -- did anyone here pay via credit union/bank plus cash down (in my case $42,000 from credit union and $4,500 cash out of pocket)?
To my knowledge they will be OK with taking payment that way. I have a CU but initiated the payment online in mytesla. What will happen is they will quickly write up a form for the amount leftover and do the bank xfer for that. Out of pocket cash is like trade in value for cars.

Reactions: s00nr1
While we are talking payment -- did anyone here pay via credit union/bank plus cash down (in my case $42,000 from credit union and $4,500 cash out of pocket)?

I used a CU for the loan as I got 1.74%. Though I could have gotten the loan for the full amount, I opted to put 20% down as I don't like to carry debt/large monthly payments though it's necessary to get good credit. Dumped it into my acct, direct debit on pickup for final payment due which included the "cash out of pocket" difference.

Can't do cash at pick up, period. Cashiers check or bank account, whether its for the entire car or down payment. I did 25% down payment via bank account payment and CU loan for the rest. I had an express check with me to take for the loan, but I put the loan info on MyTesla before hand which is all they need.

Reactions: s00nr1