Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's awesome about the loaner! Did you get a chance to look at your real car?

So I was told that I could pick up my car today (finally) and turn in the P100D.

They told me 4:00. I responded that I couldn't come in until 6:00. Never heard back. Just sent another message 2 hours before I was supposed to pick up to ask what I was supposed to to do.

Called me back and explained that it still wouldn't be done. They thought a firmware update was all they needed to do, but turns out they had to replace the main screen.

Now I'm supposed to pick up tomorrow (this will be my 5th scheduled delivery time). As much as I love the P100D, I just want my car.

So I was told that I could pick up my car today (finally) and turn in the P100D.

They told me 4:00. I responded that I couldn't come in until 6:00. Never heard back. Just sent another message 2 hours before I was supposed to pick up to ask what I was supposed to to do.

Called me back and explained that it still wouldn't be done. They thought a firmware update was all they needed to do, but turns out they had to replace the main screen.

Now I'm supposed to pick up tomorrow (this will be my 5th scheduled delivery time). As much as I love the P100D, I just want my car.

Well on the plus side, new screen is a nice perk! I think those messages we get are automated. I responded to my two with no response. Prob go nowhere.

How long does everyone give their CPO adviser to return a message before escalating? I'm going on three business days (5 calendar) and am growing slightly annoyed. If you do escalate, what is the path?[/QUOTE

I would ask again and ask for this schedule. Mine was off a week day and a Sunday, so I learned those days and likely the day after were less likely (or not at all) to get a response.

There really isn't an "escalation" in this process. In the end 4-6 weeks I'd what you are told (generally) so any in between communication is really a perk. Although I feel that mentality should be changed.

I think they know once you get your keys you are happy and forget. But I would have preferred a nicer CPO buying process (at least the communication). Makes encouraging others to do it easier without having to sugar coat it.

Well - my MS 85 CPO car delivered from Boston on the 21st is in the shop in Montreal for a drive replacement. Had the hum and clunking sounds and the service tech said needs a new drive. They loaned me a brand new 90D. WOW - quick.

Tried auto pilot and quickly turned it off - either I am a Luddite or I am not comfortable being driven by a car that seems to emulate my boys when they first were learning to drive. I am very happy we saved money on the CPO while Tesla perfects the autopilot.

The 90D is much quieter than our car so hopeful that the new drive will fix things.

Anyone else get a CPO that needed a new drive right away?

2014 Model S, AP1, Red, Grey Performance Interior, Piano Black Trim, Black Roof, High Fidelity Sound, Sat Radio, Dash Pad

$51k, according to ev-cpo this is the cheapest AP1 S85 CPO with the four year warranty.

I so would have picked up that car had I been quick enough. All the AP1 cars were just out of my reach. I think I missed it because I was looking for a glass roof though if I could only have one, I'd take AP1 over glass roof.

Nice car at a great price!

Well - my MS 85 CPO car delivered from Boston on the 21st is in the shop in Montreal for a drive replacement. Had the hum and clunking sounds and the service tech said needs a new drive. They loaned me a brand new 90D. WOW - quick.

Tried auto pilot and quickly turned it off - either I am a Luddite or I am not comfortable being driven by a car that seems to emulate my boys when they first were learning to drive. I am very happy we saved money on the CPO while Tesla perfects the autopilot.

The 90D is much quieter than our car so hopeful that the new drive will fix things.

Anyone else get a CPO that needed a new drive right away?

No drive feedback, but I agree with you on the AP!

I so would have picked up that car had I been quick enough. All the AP1 cars were just out of my reach. I think I missed it because I was looking for a glass roof though if I could only have one, I'd take AP1 over glass roof.

Nice car at a great price!

I'm opposite, I would have taken glass vs AP. I had a new loaner with AP2 and while cool, it still has a long ways to go for it to be a "top of the list" want for me. At least at the cost.

If the lines of the lanes are not clear, the car jerks back and fourth trying to find it. I was going down the road and there was a left turn lane and the car started to turn right I to it even though I was going straight. It also jerked in breaking if going g down the road and someone turns in front of you (far enough that in an ICE you would have just let go of the accelerator and cruised until they passed). That may have been because I had it set to 4 car lengths space from the front car. Its most useful in long highway trips, but I don't do much of those. I was using it in the loaner just because it was there, but didn't use it more than I did.

The one thing I liked the most was the adaptive cruise (only cause mine doesn't have it) and that the speed limit signs show up in your dash, and that the dash has the car driving on a "road". Those all don't require AP if Tesla would update non AP cars to have those things. I know speed limits are apparently read by the cameras, but if Garmin and Google Maps on my phone tell me the speed limit, no reason the car couldn't.

But that pano tho... It just makes the car seem that much more "wow". Specially when you open the sunroof. Its so big.

Essentially, unless you can make full use of the AP quite often (highway) and don't mind the jerking and the still learning, not having AP isn't that big of a deal. Driving an MS is still one amazing ride! Just don't forget to move it out of Valet mode when you set it, or do and realize just how fun it is to drive the car over an ICE.

Hello. I wanted to share my CPO Model S buying experience.
June13: Found a 2014 Model S 85 with 19k miles. Put down deposit the same day.
July 3: Received email saying the car was ready for pickup and scheduled a time.
July 7: Picked up car at Buena Park Tesla.
Total time around 3 1/2 weeks. I'm sure it was so fast because there were no major issues to address.
At our appointed time they had all the documents ready to go and I was on my way in less than an hour.
The car is awesome and is like new. I was apprehensive about buying such an expensive, used car sight unseen but
reading through this message board gave me confidence that it would be OK. I would definitely recommend it.

July 3: Received email saying the car was ready for pickup and scheduled a time.
Total time around 3 1/2 weeks. I'm sure it was so fast because there were no major issues to address.
At our appointed time they had all the documents ready to go and I was on my way in less than an hour.
The car is awesome and is like new. I was apprehensive about buying such an expensive, used car sight unseen but
reading through this message board gave me confidence that it would be OK. I would definitely recommend it.
Congrats! That sounds like a very painless experience, and one of the shortest wait times I've seen so far. That bodes well for the previous owner having taken good care of the car too. I will say, the CPOs are a little expensive but the cars are practically new. And the 4 year / 50k warranty is a new car warranty as well.

I wanted the AP1 mostly for the safety capabilities like auto braking and lane assist. Most of my driving is around town which it wont be used, but I do take a 320 mile in a day trip about once a month that is 90% well marked highway with sparse exits that I think it will perform well on. Agreed the pano roof has a wow factor in model s, but I have had pano roofs in other cars and always had the shade closed so I was specifically looking for a hardtop.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
PSA for new and soon to be owners. These are some of the accessories I've gotten so far. But the top two in my opinion are "must haves" were tint (lowest legal tint) because of FL heat and it helps with range as you use less AC to stay cool, and dash cams (I got the Blackvue 650s and installed it myself to the extra 12v in the Bluetooth mic grille). I also got 3D Maxpider floor mats, rubber for back and carpet for front for kid protection and because the OEM mats for front are terrible. Fold up dangerously (under the pedals!). Posting pictures of these accessories as reference. I am also getting the wheel guards after a cub jumped out and scratched my rear passenger wheel :rolleyes: (I wasn't driving!). I can post a picture once I install them if anyone wants to see.

15% rear and 30% front, Ceramic Tint (does wonders for heat!) This picture also shows (or lack there of) the front and back dash cams
View attachment 234927

Dashcam set up. Can't see the rear at all from a normal angle, barely see the front one too at a normal angle. Wires completely hidden except right at plug in. Not wired directly to the car, but by an adapter, with an in line fuse added. Lots of forums and YouTube's showing this type of install. Aside the mic grille, I didn't take anything apart for a clean install.
View attachment 234934
Here are examples of front/rear views with the 15% tint at rear

View attachment 234936

And cord management for cheap. Wall hook and bike bottle holder
View attachment 234937
Tint looks sleek. Especially the lights and the contrast with the paint. Matches the wheels too. Visibility is still very good from inside. One thing that is visible in the photos is how tinted the roof is when you compare it to the 15% back window. Tesla did great on that. On my car you can't even tell it's glass because it's as black as the car :p

I couldn't wait any longer and didn't want the loan from a third party to expire so I called the delivery location (LA) and they said car will be ready in 2 days! Document signing was quick but the final payment email stated "EFT or cashiers check". However, I thought I saw others paying with a personal check and i'm a bit apprehensive of handing over a check until the car is inspected. In any event, here is my timeline - Ordered 6/6 and tentative delivery of 7/12.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick

Unbelievable! Maybe tomorrow, maybe...

Tint looks sleek. Especially the lights and the contrast with the paint. Matches the wheels too. Visibility is still very good from inside. One thing that is visible in the photos is how tinted the roof is when you compare it to the 15% back window. Tesla did great on that. On my car you can't even tell it's glass because it's as black as the car :p

Thanks! I was worried about the tint from the inside, so i was happy and shocked to see how much visibility I still had. Tesla for sure has that roof tint down! I feel 0% of the heat from the sun through it (not scientifically speaking of course). In my previous car I almost always kept the small sunroof cover closed from the sun being annoying most of my drive and that heat! In the MS I almost forget I even have a glass roof because its almost like a TV, you see the sky and sun and birds and trees, yet no heat or over brightness. Even at night its still visible. So I enjoy a almost convertible ride in the mornings and late night having all windows open, and an "airy" look/feel when the temps hit 105° but a crisp 60° in the car.

In case owners are looking into tint, here are two examples of stock pano tint and 15% rear windows.

Unedited at around 7:30pm
OI000039-01.jpeg

Unedited 730am
IMG_20170705_072624.jpg

Almost as if the tint auto dims when its brighter (obviously not). Could the smart power of the Tesla smarten up "dumb" tint??? :D

Reactions: Kalease

Congrats sounds like a great experience!

7/2 Ordered CPO S70D, got the canned email.
7/5 Got a call from my CPO Advisor with an email to go over the process, answer any questions, etc etc.
7/10 Got a canned email from the DS that I should complete my financing and insurance info so they could lock in a delivery date. Emailed back asking where the car was.
7/11 The DS actually emailed back and said the car is still in Florida and that it typically takes them 2 weeks to arrange and ship a car.

If I had known it was going to take at least 2 weeks to just ship a the car, I would likely have offered to pick it up in Florida. blah.