Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fortunately, there is no transport fee, or I would be livid. I expressly had the CPO Advisor confirm there was no transfer fee, because if there was one I would absolutely have gone down to pick it up. A 10 hour drive is no big deal.

10 hours no fee? Seems strange. Same state? To the nearest SC or to your house? Mine only had no fee same state but only about 6 hours and to a local SC (although not sure of that was required?) My transport only took about a week? But then they did everything local at the SC just a few miles from me.

Update:

...The rotors looked a bit rusty like the car sat a while and the calipers slightly corroded looking....

...Also slightly bummed because the mirrors don't appear to be power folding even though it has the tech package....

One other question. When I opened the door, a fairly loud motor came on under the car? Rep said it was trying to cool the car a bit since it was in the 90's. I don't recall hearing a loud motor during my other test drives but may have had the door closed then and just didn't notice.

Edited your post for topics: my disks/rotors certainly show corrosion. Some rust. Almost the only part of the car that didn't look new. I'm looking at possibly getting red caps for nicer looks and to get rid of the ugliness they have now.

Power windows came in late 2013, regardless of tech package. Inside the door of your MS will tell your build month/year. Your list of what the car has wont list power windows under tech unless it has them. Then it States it has them.

Loud motor= compressor. When you have your AC on or the car is cooling itself (thus both run compressor) you will hear this. Almost the only thing you ever hear when the car is "on". Aside rubber on the pavement and the compressor, car is whisper quiet.

Last edited:
Also slightly bummed because the mirrors don't appear to be power folding even though it has the tech package. The center button on the armrest is blank. Did earlier models have a different way to power fold mirrors?

Nope, no power folding mirrors then. It's possible it has the harness and can be added at a relatively lower cost, but otherwise you have to manually fold them.

I was in the same boat with my 2013. Turns out it's been OK without them.

06/19 - Ordered in Montreal's SC, car is coming from Toronto. Delivery estimate end of July.
06/22 - Got email about financing from California, numbers for my trade-in need to be updated.
06/23 - Got confirmation from CPO advisor that car arrived in Montréal already :)
06/23 - Asked for pictures but CPO advisor politely suggested to wait until the car is ready.
06/27 - Called Credit Analyst in California and got numbers right for financing.
06/29 - Texted CPO advisor for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
06/30 - Texted CPO advisor again for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
07/03 - Called CPO advisor about Trade-in sale and he emailed back asking for some docs.
07/04 - Got contacted by person who will take care of the Trade-in and that should be done by Friday.
07/04 - First contact with DS, he says car is going through certification process, will update me at the end of the week.
07/04 - Got a call from CPO advisor late in the day, he offered to match the private offer I had for my trade-in.
07/06 - Dropped off my trade-in at the SC for inspection, due to some miscommunication not the best experience.
I spent over 2 hours at the service center while actually that was not needed.
07/07 - Trade-in step shows as complete in MyTesla. 4 out of 6 completed.
07/07 - DS confirmed that car is in the body shop and he will update me when car is back at the SC.
07/11 - DS asked for up to date payout letter for the loan on my trade-in.
07/11 - Sent payout letter and DS got back asking me to drop by the store to give him a check for the negative equity.
07/11 - Trade-in is officially transferred to Tesla. DS confirmed the car is still in the body shop.

10 hours no fee? Seems strange. Same state? To the nearest SC or to your house? Mine only had no fee same state but only about 6 hours and to a local SC (although not sure of that was required?) My transport only took about a week? But then they did everything local at the SC just a few miles from me.

The CPO Advisor said NC is in the same region as Florida, so all cars within this region can be shipped from SC to SC with no transfer fee.

So they will ship to the SC local to me, and I will pick it up there. SC local to me is about 20 minutes from my house :)

The 10 hour drive I was referring to, was my driving from here to the Florida SC to pick the car up.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
The CPO Advisor said NC is in the same region as Florida, so all cars within this region can be shipped from SC to SC with no transfer fee.

So they will ship to the SC local to me, and I will pick it up there. SC local to me is about 20 minutes from my house :)

The 10 hour drive I was referring to, was my driving from here to the Florida SC to pick the car up.
I live in Ohio and my MS is coming from San Antonio, and I do not have a transfer fee either.

I wish I could get the free transfers. My SA said they do the fee by regions, and it is a flat fee regardless, you could be in the next state but if it is across regions, you would get charged. In my case, it's a 12-13 hour drive, 18 hours per abetterrouteplanner with charging included. I'm sure a little could be shaved off if I stayed at a hotel with destination charging in the middle somewhere.

Two weeks ago, the weekend I ordered, I was on a road trip in Chicago. Driving to Chicago and back to Minneapolis in my wife's car, it's about 6.5-7 hours including stops for gas. Per abetterrouteplanner, it would take 8.5 hours with charging and 6.5 hours of driving.

Edit: And now that I've thought a little, maybe I'll go crazy and try car camping somewhere in the middle. That sounds like fun actually, I'll have to start scouting campgrounds in between Denver and Minneapolis now.

Last edited:
I want her to drive it. Her lease is up in 9 months and she wants a three row ICE. Trying to convince her to get an EV. Preferably another CPO Model S. I'm hoping the more she drives it, the more obvious the decision becomes.
I went from a 8 seater Honda Odyssey minivan, to really really wanting the 2018 new generation, waited a couple years for the generation to be unveiled, to actually buying the MS (jump seats in case). Best decision I ever made! Even with 3 kids.

Last edited:
I received an update today, below in red:
7/1 - I ordered late, got the auto-emails that night.
7/2 - I updated my license and insurance info in mytesla and added my trade's VIN, and sent a reply to the DS auto-email asking a clarifying question and still haven't heard back from him (holiday week, so I get it)
7/5 - Received a call from the CPO SA late (while I was putting the kids to bed), voicemail said we'd connect 7/6
7/6 - Talked with the SA (long story in original post)
7/13 - Receive an email from the regional remarketing manager (interesting title) - car is in Denver SC undergoing reconditioning. He said they will provide another update next week with a more definitive timeline.

So far, so good. While I haven't heard anything from the DS in either Denver or here, I didn't really expect to. Everything seems to be moving along nicely.

7/3 ordered CPO P85
7/5 got email ,said 6-8 weeks.
Started on my things to do on MyTesla page.
Got 4/4 items done.
Now MyTesla page is asking for payment.
Doing insurance quotes now. State Farm, whom I been with for almost 40 years wanted $1500/year.
Looking at Geico and Progressive.
7/13 - update
Received update today, car is in Houston getting refreshed. DS said he will let me know next week on timeline. I went with Progressive insurance as they were the cheapest. I also liked the way they treated my daughter when she totaled her Pruis. They gave her a check four days later. Great service.
Getting terrible excited!

7/13 - update
Received update today, car is in Houston getting refreshed. DS said he will let me know next week on timeline. I went with Progressive insurance as they were the cheapest. I also liked the way they treated my daughter when she totaled her Pruis. They gave her a check four days later. Great service.
Getting terrible excited!

My insurance carrier for my ICE wanted 50% more than what Progressive gave me. Once the ICE insurance comes due again, I'll try to start bundling with Progressive.

Sounds like you're on a good timeline...good luck.

Delivery update and copied from my other post in the Sig thread: Ordered 6/6, Delivered 7/12 - I just picked up the 2012 Signature p85 and the condition was 10/10, even the advisors were surprised by the condition of the car. The DA stated a few items were addressed proactively prior to delivery by the service team: new drive unit, new rims, new 2 rear tires, new AC pump, and refurbished battery. The car drives amazing and super quiet, even more so then the new Mx which I had an overnight test drive. The acceleration is scary fast, I'm in love!

IMG_6616.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 66