Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Y with the same issue since going through a touch free car wash. On reddit it was suggested to just use 303. Shall I skip the WD40 and just use 303? I had mobile service here on Wednesday to add the AC insulating blanket and he said that it would NOT be a warranty issue and was not aware of any service bulletin nor had it been mentioned before. I am in San Jose so Tesla Mobile Service was from the Santa Clara SC, also he said that I'm the first person to mention it. Since it's not a warranty issue, I want to take care of it myself.

Reactions: jmoore406
Same thing here. We washed our brand new model Y in the same touchless car wash that we had used for our model 3 for 2 years without problems. Right after we got out of the car we noticed the stains. It was so bad that I was embarrassed for my Tesla critical friends to see the car. We brought in the MY for some other delivery fixes to the service center (we are in Salt Lake City) and they just said "this is the first time we have seen this and its our fault that we went through this car wash". I was angry to put it mildly. I told them, so you are telling me I cant take a 60K car through a touchless car wash that has never done anything to our other teslas? and their response was: no you just cant take it to one that discolors your trim. I said that I would really love to do that but how do we know that up front! So they still have my car and agreed to have a detailing shop look at the trim and see if they can restore it. We shall see. Its overall sad comparing this delivery and service experience to two years ago when we got our model 3.

Attachments

• tesla stains.jpg
    tesla stains.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 816
Didn't say what they used but definitely did not work as it is still discolored. I will put in another service request until they fix it...super annoying! >_<
I am sorry this is happening to so many people with their brand new car. We will see how mine looks when i get it back today or tomorrow. You would think that they would recognize this problem and try to come up with a solution rather than just turning angry customers away.

Happened to our MY yesterday...wish i would have seen these posts first...grrrrrrr....have submitted service request but have not heard back yet. Will let you know what they say

Attachments

• Tesla_carwash_trimdamaged_080220.jpg
    Tesla_carwash_trimdamaged_080220.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 684
Happened to me as well. I had used a car wash that I always used on my model 3 with no issues. Was so disappointed when I saw what happened. Thanks for the wd40 suggestion!! I wiped it down with it this evening and it appears to have worked. Hopefully it stays that way! Guess I’ll have to hand wash it from now on. Smh.

Here is an update with our MY trim experience. After I told the tesla service center manager I will not be taking my car back like this he offered to have a car detailing shop look at it (this is after them trying to just send me away). It looks a lot better now but like for other people it doesnt go away completely. I dont know what treatment they used in the body shop unfortunately. I appreciate that Tesla did at least something (eventually) but not being able to take a car through a car wash is pretty lame. What will we do in the winter; i cant say i ever washed my car in the snow before.

I forgot to take a before picture, but they were horrid. I tackled it with wd40, a rag, and followed up with a ceramic wax. Look good as new now.
The test will be the next car wash

Edit: pictures uploaded upside down, but you get the idea

Attachments

• B67297C3-FA7E-4D29-AB35-012058C7C68D.jpeg
    B67297C3-FA7E-4D29-AB35-012058C7C68D.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 691
  • 2C7896FF-780C-4666-8786-6E5296D38DE4.jpeg
    2C7896FF-780C-4666-8786-6E5296D38DE4.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 707
Did this issue show up right away for you guys or did it take time? I’ve been through the car wash a half dozen times since end of June and switched to a different one today & still have no issue.

From what I have seen it shows up immediately. It all depends on the chemicals used. People have reported it happening when handwashing when using "harsh" chemicals as well.

Reactions: ahankins
I mean of course it’s marketing so I can’t speak to how true this is, but the quote below is one of the reasons I switched to this new car wash. Other 2 reasons being a conveyor system to move the car and it being a completely new facility.

Is a “touchless” car wash better?
No. “Touchless” car washes have to use more harsh chemicals to try to remove dirt as well as gas and oil residue from your car’s surface. These chemicals can actually damage your car’s paint and finish. Many “touchless” washes also end up wiping off remaining dirt as they hand dry your car with abrasive cloth towels.

For myself & my current life situation, my only car wash options are automatic or nothing. Haven’t had any issues.